Re: Reading a Movie

  • whitman_log
    Message 1 of 4296 , Feb 1, 2002
      TVictor, <br><br>Maybe this post has already been
      discussed enough, but I've been without power for a couple
      of days (huge ice storm in Kansas), so I'm just now
      reading it. <br><br>I have read and seen To Kill A
      Mockingbird. It was a wonderful novel, one I coudln't put
      down. I think you're right about the element of
      surprise missing after you've seen the movie, but in my
      experience with books and movies, is that they're always
      different, except with Harry Potter. If I've seen the movie
      first and then read the book, I usually like them both.
      If, however, I read the book and then see the movie,
      I often end up hating the movie because it wasn't
      enough like the book for me. <br><br>However, with To
      Kill A Mockingbird, I enjoyed both so much, that even
      seeing the movie after I read the book didn't ruin it
      for me. <br><br>I'm not really sure what my whole
      point is here, just taht I don't think we should rule
      out reading a book simply because a movie was made
      out of it or that such movie was lacking. The books
      are ALWAYS better, at least in my experience.
    • sarahbav
      Message 4296 of 4296 , Feb 12, 2002
        In the introduction, I read that Henry James
        prepared the "New York Edition" which was a collection of
        his best works. Washington Square was not included.
        The book was popular but he didn't think much of it.
        Is this a book of any quality? I guess it is a bit
        like a soap opera. Whatever its merit, I enjoyed it.
        It was also quick to read and gave me time to
        explore other books.