Bleak House - Chapter 1

  • t_victor_2000
    Message 1 of 4296 , Dec 3, 2001
      I always look forward to reading the first
      sentence of a novel. I was always taught that the opening
      sentence of a novel, is the cornerstone of the story.
      After reading Dickens' Tale of Two Cities, I was
      looking forward to a "...best of times, it was the worst
      of times..." type of opening in Bleak
      House.<br><br>However, Dickens opens with, "Michaelmas Term lately over,
      and the Lord Chancellor sitting in Lincoln's Inn
      Hall." Not a real attention-grabber is
      it!<br><br>TVictor
    • sarahbav
      Message 4296 of 4296 , Feb 12, 2002
        In the introduction, I read that Henry James
        prepared the "New York Edition" which was a collection of
        his best works. Washington Square was not included.
        The book was popular but he didn't think much of it.
        Is this a book of any quality? I guess it is a bit
        like a soap opera. Whatever its merit, I enjoyed it.
        It was also quick to read and gave me time to
        explore other books.