Descartes and Winesburg

  • blackwolfets
    Message 1 of 4296 , Aug 1, 2000
      What better way to start Winesburg off than by
      lending an ear to Descartes and his view of theology and
      truths, being as these are recurring themes of Winesburg.
      ...Our theology I revered, and was as eager as anyone
      else to gain heaven; but having learned , as a fully
      established fact, that the way to heaven is open to the most
      ignorant no less than to the most learned, and that the
      revealed truths, which guide us on our way, are above our
      understanding, I should not have dared to submit them to the
      weakness of my reasoning. Indeed, a man who undertook to
      investigate these truths and who succeeded in his task, would
      need, in my judgement, to be gavoured with some sepcial
      aid from heaven, and to be himself more than a man.--
      Discourse on Method, Descartes
    • sarahbav
      Message 4296 of 4296 , Feb 12, 2002
        In the introduction, I read that Henry James
        prepared the "New York Edition" which was a collection of
        his best works. Washington Square was not included.
        The book was popular but he didn't think much of it.
        Is this a book of any quality? I guess it is a bit
        like a soap opera. Whatever its merit, I enjoyed it.
        It was also quick to read and gave me time to
        explore other books.