Re: [classicrv] Shift lever lock?

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
      I was going to reply to this before. I used this brake lock years ago as an aid to the parking brake on standard transmission vehicles when parking on boat ramps for short periods of time. It is a hydraulic line valve. It doesn't hold the pedal down. It just locks the fluid from coming back to the master cylinder. On the older vehicles the brake lights did stay on, depending what type of stop light switch and where the valve was installed. It came in 2 models, a mechanical model w/ a lever on the dash, or a 12 volt model w/ a switch on the dash. They were designed for fork lifts. There were problems w/ the saftey of them because any seepage in wheel cyls would etc would turn the brakes loose. But they worked very good for temporary use. In the 70's they could be bought for $20. Now w/ safety devices etc built into them, they cost $200 to 300. And I don't see how they would stop theft anyway, as the controls are on the dash.

      Rich

      "Time to go fishing"
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
        If you are worried about moving... the easiest is , and all should be
        doing this, is you put out wheel chocks - best on the rear tires -
        not the stering. Two of them, for forward and backwards. Unless you
        have air brakes, the mechanal brakes do not hold much. You are
        trying to hold 5 tons or more. In the Fire service I was a driver
        for the Engines and we always used wheel chocks.

        Service.

      • Sterling Voth
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
          No a brake lock simply holds the fluid pressure so that the brakes stay
          engaged. JC Whitney sells them at the following website

          http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=14754&_requestid=92489

          Also other racing equipment and auto restoration sites sell them as well.
          Napa might even do so. They work by you mashing the brakes to hold them and
          then pulling up on the knob of the unit. It then holds the brakes on until
          released by mashing the brake pedal again. That might not work for you if
          your son pushed the brake pedal hard enough "two times" as the second time
          would release the brakes back to normal operation.

          Sterling.........

          ----------
          From: Frogmobile <frogmobile@...>
          To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tue, Oct 1, 2002, 12:55 AM

          Is this a mechanical device that keeps the brake pedal down? What do you
          do about the brake lights being on? Do you have a URL for one?

          I think I've seen advertisements for anti-theft devices that prevent the
          brakes from being used, but that wouldn't help.

          Jay
          At 08:07 AM 9/30/02 -0500, you wrote:
          >Jay:
          > There is a "brake lock" that you can easily install that has a knob that
          >you pull to lock the brakes when parked. Helps keep people from stealing
          >cars as well. To use it you step on the brakes and pull the lever up and
          >that holds the brakes locked until you release them. Might be the easiest
          >solution. If you change to a later model column you might run into problems
          >with steering linkages, wiring, steering gearbox, etc. Was not a federal
          >requirement for the lock on the columns in "heavy trucks" like a motorhome
          >is until years after all cars got them in 1969.
          >
          >Sterling.....
          >
          >----------
          >From: Frogmobile <frogmobile@...>
          >
          >My motorhome (1983 Georgie Boy Excalibor 33', Chevy class A chassis) has
          >the ignition switch on the dash, not on the steering column. Consequently,
          >there is no steering wheel lock or shift lever lock on the steering column.
          >
          >I have a 17 month old son who likes to climb into the driver's
          >seat. Today, he hopped behind the wheel and within seconds took the
          >transmission out of park and into low. Of course, it wasn't running, and I
          >had the parking brake set, but I imagine at some point in life I'll forget
          >to set the brake.
          >
          >Is there a reason why, in 1983, Chevy didn't bother to put the key on the
          >column and have the associated locking mechanisms? Chevy cars had the key
          >on the column for more than a decade when the MH was manufactured. If I
          >decide to swap, what would make a suitable donor column?
          >
          >Does anyone know of a mechanical device, sort of like "the club", that
          >could be used to lock the transmission in park?
          >
          >Jay

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .