Re: [classicrv] where to look for older RV's

  • Sterling Voth
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2002
      Wayne:
      I like buying from the southwest or the more arid regions in the
      northwest and plains states. As with older cars and trucks, buying an older
      RV often means that some maintenance has been neglected over the years and
      particularly resealing seams in the roof, replacing the ac gaskets and
      caulking around the windows, etc. My theory when I bought my trailer was
      that since it hardly ever rains out there damage won't be as severe as if it
      was in a more humid area and leaked heavily for 20 years or so. I
      discovered on bringing my trailer back to Louisiana where it rains a LOT
      that a few small leaks developed that I easily sealed up with caulk. Most
      major one was the ac to roof gasket that had dried out with the years and
      the hot desert climate. Only costs 14 dollars for that gasket on most ac's.
      Good friend of mine bought an older motorhome from Ohio and it had a lot of
      water damage on the roof area. Not that you can't find good units in the
      humid areas. Just have to look a little harder. :-) Most everything down
      here has visible water damage after a few years if not well maintained.
      Also some of the northern states with salt on the roads in winter have a lot
      of rust on the frame parts and particularly the brake components. Brake
      lines, etc. Really have to get down under and look at everything to check
      it out for yourself. This is only true if they drove it in the winter up
      there though. I know that here in Louisiana once an RV gets over 5 years
      or so old you start to get a lot of leaks if the owner doesn't caulk and
      seal properly. That is why I went "west" to get mine. Try the little
      small "classified" sale papers from different towns that are sometimes
      available online. Seems that most of the best deals on older rv's are not
      in the regular newspapers as ad rates are prohibitive for the sellers. Good
      luck with your search.

      Sterling.......

      ----------
      From: Wayne Eslinger <weslinger@...>
      To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [classicrv] where to look for older RV's
      Date: Wed, Sep 4, 2002, 6:15 PM

      I am getting ready to take a large road trip, denver
      to seatle to LA and back to denver.
      I am also looking to buy a older(inexpensive) RV

      What are the pluses or minises of different climets
      are there any RV wonderlands out there where you can
      find a good selection of well preserved,reasonably
      priced RV (probably dreaming)

      any feedback would help thanks
      wayne

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • CWBOATS@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
        Victor wrote:
        The best place to find old RV's in good condition would be places
        that have dry climates. Such as Arizona, So. Cal & New Mexico.
        Avoid places with humid climates

        Generally I would agree with that for a car; but, I feel that the other side
        of the coin is that buying the coach in a dry area, you will never know if it
        leaks until you get caught in that first rain storm. The caulking could be
        all dried out, and never got enough rain on it to matter.

        Good luck, wherever you buy it
        Chuck
      • im_original
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
          The original question was, "where is the best place to look for an
          older RV?" The "best" place is in dryer climates. Yes, you can find
          a very good condition RV in all parts of the country, but the largest
          concentration will be in the dryer climates.

          Chuck, you are very correct that leaks may not be found until you get
          it home because of dried out caulking. But on an older RV, you
          probably want to check or redo the caulking anyway. It's also a lot
          easier to recaulk than is to repair dry rot.

          Anyway you look at it, an older RV is gonna need some work. When
          shopping you have to ask yourself what am I willing to do or can do.
          For me, and most people, dry rot is not something I want to tackle.

          Happy trails,

          -Victor
        • mike_w1
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
            This is a little off topic but:
            Why are RV's made with those seems in the roof. Manufactures should
            know that they WILL leak eventually. Why didn't they use wider sheet
            aluminum or whatever material they decided to use and fold it over
            the walls making the seem on a vertical surface. Then your only leak
            points would be your vents and A/C. This would be especially easy
            with todays rubber roofs.

            Mike W.
            Latrobe, Pa
          • im_original
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
              Mike,

              Very good point. That's exactly what Lazy Daze does with there
              roofs, since about 1986. I imagine it's not a common practice
              because sheet aluminum cannot be had in wide enough sheets here in
              the states. LD has there sheets imported from Europe.

              -Victor

              --- In classicrv@y..., "mike_w1" <mike_w@p...> wrote:

              > Why are RV's made with those seems in the roof. Manufactures
              should
              > know that they WILL leak eventually. Why didn't they use wider
              sheet
              > aluminum or whatever material they decided to use and fold it over
              > the walls making the seem on a vertical surface. Then your only
              leak
              > points would be your vents and A/C. This would be especially easy
              > with todays rubber roofs.
              >
              > Mike W.
              > Latrobe, Pa
            • wrdavis95370
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
                > Why are RV's made with those seems in the roof. Manufactures
                should
                > know that they WILL leak eventually. Why didn't they use wider
                sheet
                > aluminum or whatever material they decided to use and fold it over
                > the walls making the seem on a vertical surface. Then your only
                leak
                > points would be your vents and A/C. This would be especially easy
                > with todays rubber roofs.
                >
                > Mike W.

                I agree Mike. When I redo the rubber roof, I plan to do just that,
                and have the rubber overlap the top few inches of both the front and
                end fiberglass caps as well as the sides as presently done. Not
                likely to leak on a vertical surface. But it does mean I need to buy
                wider rubber and trim off lots of excess. So the cost will be a bit
                higher, but results should be better also.

                Bill Davis
                20''78 The Establishment
              • ursamajor27
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
                  You might try the auction sites. Police auctions, charity auctions,
                  estate sales. I'm located here in Southern California, 60 miles east
                  of Lost Angeles and, since the beginning of the year, I've bought
                  three RV's. The first was a 1973 Dodge Open Road (20'), 44,000 on a
                  360 engine. Paid 75.00 bid (133.00 out the gate). Turned it over
                  without even looking hard at it for 950.00. About a month ago I
                  bought two in one day: The first was a 1976 Dodge sportsman (21'
                  class C) with 55,000 on a 360. Paid 250.00. The second was a 27'
                  Class A Winnebago Brave which I Paid 1200.00. 55,000 on a 440
                  engine. For both vehicles, out the gate, I paid 1900 and some
                  change. Mechanically, both engines are sound. The 76" needs
                  cosmetics which I'm working on in my doddering way and the Winne did
                  have an overheating problem which I've sinced fixed having received a
                  great deal of good advice from members of this group. It, too, needs
                  a little cosmetics but it's definitely road worthy. So if you're
                  traveling out this way, Fontana, CA I'd glady provide the address to
                  this auction (it's a charity auction usually the third saturday of
                  the month). --- In any event, good luck.

                  Franc, California Brown Bear

                  classicrv@y..., Wayne Eslinger <weslinger@y...> wrote:
                  > I am getting ready to take a large road trip, denver
                  > to seatle to LA and back to denver.
                  > I am also looking to buy a older(inexpensive) RV
                  >
                  > What are the pluses or minises of different climets
                  > are there any RV wonderlands out there where you can
                  > find a good selection of well preserved,reasonably
                  > priced RV (probably dreaming)
                  >
                  > any feedback would help thanks
                  > wayne

                  > http://finance.yahoo.com
                • ursamajor27
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 5, 2002
                    You might try the auction sites. Police auctions, charity auctions,
                    estate sales. I'm located here in Southern California, 60 miles east
                    of Lost Angeles and, since the beginning of the year, I've bought
                    three RV's. The first was a 1973 Dodge Open Road (20'), 44,000 on a
                    360 engine. Paid 75.00 bid (133.00 out the gate). Turned it over
                    without even looking hard at it for 950.00. About a month ago I
                    bought two in one day: The first was a 1976 Dodge sportsman (21'
                    class C) with 55,000 on a 360. Paid 250.00. The second was a 27'
                    Class A Winnebago Brave which I Paid 1200.00. 55,000 on a 440
                    engine. For both vehicles, out the gate, I paid 1900 and some
                    change. Mechanically, both engines are sound. The 76" needs
                    cosmetics which I'm working on in my doddering way and the Winne did
                    have an overheating problem which I've sinced fixed having received a
                    great deal of good advice from members of this group. It, too, needs
                    a little cosmetics but it's definitely road worthy. So if you're
                    traveling out this way, Fontana, CA I'd glady provide the address to
                    this auction (it's a charity auction usually the third saturday of
                    the month). --- In any event, good luck.

                    Franc, California Brown Bear

                    classicrv@y..., Wayne Eslinger <weslinger@y...> wrote:
                    > I am getting ready to take a large road trip, denver
                    > to seatle to LA and back to denver.
                    > I am also looking to buy a older(inexpensive) RV
                    >
                    > What are the pluses or minises of different climets
                    > are there any RV wonderlands out there where you can
                    > find a good selection of well preserved,reasonably
                    > priced RV (probably dreaming)
                    >
                    > any feedback would help thanks
                    > wayne

                    > http://finance.yahoo.com
                  • mjwmjf
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 6, 2002
                      Hi everyone. Ok, I know this sounds like a plug or spam or something
                      but really it's not.

                      The place I got my RV from is fantastic for used older stuff. They
                      treated us like we were buying a $90,000.00 brand new rig! They are
                      located in Upstate New York and are called Albany RV or RV-1. They
                      will take almost ANYTHING in trade and resell it.

                      Not only did I buy my RV from them, an 81 27' Fleetwood Southwind on
                      a Dodge Chassis w/440-C. But an 88 Invader IO boat with a 140 horse
                      merc and trailer! Last time I was there they had riding mowers, golf
                      carts, boats, used class A's & C's and pop up's. They even had a
                      1990 ford F150 PU.

                      Both the RV and Boat I got excellent prices on. The RV only had
                      32,000 miles on it, had a brand new rubber roof, refrigerator and
                      plumbing. The RV was $6500.00 and booked at my credit union for
                      $11,000.00 and the boat I got for $2750.00 and books for $7500.00.

                      Just for fun, check them out. Their web site is www.albanyrv.com.
                      They have a big selection of used that changes constantly. The
                      salesmen I had both times were named Jeff (RV) and Mark (boat) and
                      were excellent, they didn't play games or B/S me at all.

                      Like I said before, It's not spam but if you're looking and are a
                      first time buyer like I was they treated us great and told us almost
                      everything we needed to know including free dumping stations in the
                      area. Stuff like that.

                      Good luck!

                      Mike

                      --- In classicrv@y..., Wayne Eslinger <weslinger@y...> wrote:
                      > I am getting ready to take a large road trip, denver
                      > to seatle to LA and back to denver.
                      > I am also looking to buy a older(inexpensive) RV
                      >
                      > What are the pluses or minises of different climets
                      > are there any RV wonderlands out there where you can
                      > find a good selection of well preserved,reasonably
                      > priced RV (probably dreaming)
                      >
                      > any feedback would help thanks
                      > wayne

                      > http://finance.yahoo.com
                    • davidjdj2002
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 12, 2002
                        --- In classicrv@y..., Wayne Eslinger <weslinger@y...> wrote:
                        > I am getting ready to take a large road trip, denver
                        > to seatle to LA and back to denver.
                        > I am also looking to buy a older(inexpensive) RV
                        >
                        > What are the pluses or minises of different climets
                        > are there any RV wonderlands out there where you can
                        > find a good selection of well preserved,reasonably
                        > priced RV (probably dreaming)
                        >
                        > any feedback would help thanks
                        > I have a 1978 Apollo that has been in Central Florida for several
                        years. We have had over 40 inches of rain in the past 6 months and I
                        have no leaks at all. It has a one piece fibreglass roof thast is
                        nearly leakproof. I think construction is the key to longevity. The
                        Apollo is all steel frame and fibreglass skin with aluminum clad
                        plywood floors. I have seen wood frame rv's nearly collapsing after a
                        few years in this climate. I saw one that had been destroyed by
                        termites without the owner having a clue what was
                        happening. wayne