Generator and Driving

  • hat57hat
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2002
      Thanks to all who contributed comments on my tire questions - my
      Superior now has new radials running on split rims. With the group
      guidance, I persevered till I found a truck tire outfit who knew
      there stuff. Just required radial tubes and new flaps to make the
      bias switch.
      Now for my next dumb question! My Superior has roof air but no engine
      A/C. Is it acceptable to drive with the generator (Onan 4KW Model
      CCK) running the roof A/C?
      Thanks
      Manny
    • CWBOATS@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2002
        Hi Manny
        Yes it is acceptable to drive with the generator running to power the roof
        air. You should however shut it down while in a filling station. Expect your
        apparent gas mileage to suffer some, the generator may take a gallon an hour.
        If you travel 60 miles in that hour, and average 8 miles per gallon, you burn
        7.5 gallons to push, & 1 to cool. That would make apparent mileage 7 MPG. A
        small price to pay for comfort

        One other tip: You may have to direct all of the cool to the front of the
        coach to counteract the additional engine heat created while driving.

        Chuck
      • bobalou1@prodigy.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 2002
          > A/C. Is it acceptable to drive with the generator (Onan 4KW Model
          > CCK) running the roof A/C?

          > Manny,

          By all means use the generator!!! My 1984 34 foot Pace Arrow uses
          less fuel (6.5kw), stays as powerful and is much cooler by running
          the generator. I can run 2 roof airs and still do better on fuel, I
          also run a fan to blow the cool air into the drivers area.

          Shut everything down at fuel stops and keep cool, Bob.