RV Purchase advice needed

  • Kasoma
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2000
      My wife and I are looking at a 1975 Itasca class A motorhome. It's
      about 26-28 feet long and built on a Chevrolet chassis. I believe it has a
      Chevrolet 454 engine in it that seems to run good.
      Anyway, I haven't owned a motorhome before and I haven't got a clue
      about how to check some of the stuff on it. Problems I know about are:
      1) The roof is sagging where the airconditioner is mounted, causing the
      freezer door on the refrigerator to rub on the airconditioner trim. Does
      this indicate a larger problem and how much might this cost to repair?
      2) The stove doesn't work and the PO thinks that it is an electrical
      problem. How can I check this and how much might a new or used stove unit
      cost?
      3) The hot water heater also doesn't work. Same questions as #2 above.
      3) How can I check for proper operation of the generator, batteries and
      propane system?
      4) How can I check all of the appliances for proper operation?
      5) Are the appliances supposed to work on propane, batteries AND direct
      electrical hookup, or just one or the other? How can I check?
      6)The door doesn't latch and it currently has a hasp on it. How
      difficult and expensive might it be to replace the door?
      7) The asking price is $2500 and we can probably get it for $2,000.
      Does this seem like a good price?
      8) Is there anything else I should check before buying it?

      Thanks for any help,
      Tom
    • Duane schwarm
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2000
        Tom - Personal opinion - WALK AWAY FROM THAT ONE. My buddy bought a
        80 Pace Arrow leaker - the roof sagged just like the one you are
        talking about, IT COST HIM $4,000 TO HAVE A NEW ROOF PUT ON. Besides
        all the other in-operable things on that motorhome I think that you
        would be buying a lot ot trouble and expense for $2,000. The world
        is full of good motorhomes if you just take the time to look.

        Duane