RV Purchase advice needed
- My wife and I are looking at a 1975 Itasca class A motorhome. It's
about 26-28 feet long and built on a Chevrolet chassis. I believe it has a
Chevrolet 454 engine in it that seems to run good.
Anyway, I haven't owned a motorhome before and I haven't got a clue
about how to check some of the stuff on it. Problems I know about are:
1) The roof is sagging where the airconditioner is mounted, causing the
freezer door on the refrigerator to rub on the airconditioner trim. Does
this indicate a larger problem and how much might this cost to repair?
2) The stove doesn't work and the PO thinks that it is an electrical
problem. How can I check this and how much might a new or used stove unit
3) The hot water heater also doesn't work. Same questions as #2 above.
3) How can I check for proper operation of the generator, batteries and
4) How can I check all of the appliances for proper operation?
5) Are the appliances supposed to work on propane, batteries AND direct
electrical hookup, or just one or the other? How can I check?
6)The door doesn't latch and it currently has a hasp on it. How
difficult and expensive might it be to replace the door?
7) The asking price is $2500 and we can probably get it for $2,000.
Does this seem like a good price?
8) Is there anything else I should check before buying it?
Thanks for any help,
- Tom - Personal opinion - WALK AWAY FROM THAT ONE. My buddy bought a
80 Pace Arrow leaker - the roof sagged just like the one you are
talking about, IT COST HIM $4,000 TO HAVE A NEW ROOF PUT ON. Besides
all the other in-operable things on that motorhome I think that you
would be buying a lot ot trouble and expense for $2,000. The world
is full of good motorhomes if you just take the time to look.