Roof repair

  • gizmont
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2002
      HI-

      My father is the proud new recipient of a 1972 Chieftan. Boy does
      it need a lot of work! Our first project is to repair the caved in
      roof. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best go about
      this? We were thinking 3/4 inch plywood - foam - something for the
      ceiling and using the existing tin with some sort of sealant. Any
      pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Beth
    • haljr57us
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2002
        --- In classicrv@y..., "gizmont" <gizmont@k...> wrote:
        > HI-
        >
        > My father is the proud new recipient of a 1972 Chieftan. Boy does
        > it need a lot of work! Our first project is to repair the caved in
        > roof. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best go about
        > this? We were thinking 3/4 inch plywood - foam - something for the
        > ceiling and using the existing tin with some sort of sealant. Any
        > pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Beth

        HAL HERE. THE ROOF OF THE WINNEBAGOS IS MADE OF METAL,FOAM AND
        PANNELING. ALL 3 LAYERS ARE GLUED TOGETHER. YOU CAN ORDER A REPAIR
        MANUAL FROM YOUR LOCAL WINNEBAGO DEALER THAT COVERS THE REPAIR WORK
        THAT YOU ARE DOING. THEIR ORDER NUMBER IS 701674-02-000. IT IS FOR 77
        TO 79,BUT WILL WORK FOR WHAT YOU NEED.
        I HAD TO REPAIR THE CEILING ABOVE THE DRIVERS AREA. THE SEAM HAD
        LEAKED. REMOVED THE HEADLINER, PANNELING AND FOAM. USED SPRAY GLUE ON
        THE NEW FOAM TO HOLD IT INPLACE AND THEN GLUED NEW DOOR SKIN TO THE
        FOAM.I BRACED EVERY THING WITH A SHEET OF 3/4 PLYWOOD WHILE
        EVERYTHING DRIED. I THEN INSTALLED NEW MATERIAL ON THE DOOR SKIN.USED
        SPRAY GLUE AND STAPLED THE EDGES. USED EDGE MODLING TO HIDE THE
        STAPLES. IF I CAN HELP YOU ANYMORE LET ME KNOW. I HAVE A 79 BRAVE.
      • gizmont
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2002
          --- In classicrv@y..., "haljr57us" <haljr57us@y...> wrote:
          > --- In classicrv@y..., "gizmont" <gizmont@k...> wrote:
          > > HI-
          > >
          > > My father is the proud new recipient of a 1972 Chieftan. Boy
          does
          > > it need a lot of work! Our first project is to repair the caved
          in
          > > roof. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best go about
          > > this? We were thinking 3/4 inch plywood - foam - something for
          the
          > > ceiling and using the existing tin with some sort of sealant.
          Any
          > > pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Beth
          >

          > HAL HERE. THE ROOF OF THE WINNEBAGOS IS MADE OF METAL,FOAM AND
          > PANNELING. ALL 3 LAYERS ARE GLUED TOGETHER. YOU CAN ORDER A REPAIR
          > MANUAL FROM YOUR LOCAL WINNEBAGO DEALER THAT COVERS THE REPAIR
          WORK
          > THAT YOU ARE DOING. THEIR ORDER NUMBER IS 701674-02-000. IT IS FOR
          77
          > TO 79,BUT WILL WORK FOR WHAT YOU NEED.
          > I HAD TO REPAIR THE CEILING ABOVE THE DRIVERS AREA. THE SEAM HAD
          > LEAKED. REMOVED THE HEADLINER, PANNELING AND FOAM. USED SPRAY GLUE
          ON
          > THE NEW FOAM TO HOLD IT INPLACE AND THEN GLUED NEW DOOR SKIN TO
          THE
          > FOAM.I BRACED EVERY THING WITH A SHEET OF 3/4 PLYWOOD WHILE
          > EVERYTHING DRIED. I THEN INSTALLED NEW MATERIAL ON THE DOOR
          SKIN.USED
          > SPRAY GLUE AND STAPLED THE EDGES. USED EDGE MODLING TO HIDE THE
          > STAPLES. IF I CAN HELP YOU ANYMORE LET ME KNOW. I HAVE A 79 BRAVE.

          Thanks Hal. Yesterday my dad installed the plywood across the rear,
          middle, and front. He then glued the metal to the plywood. He
          plans to brace the plywood with aluminum strips before applying the
          foam and ceiling panels. It seems to me that the plywood is going
          to be too heavy. What do you think?