1979 Brave

  • rictbarton
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2002
      Hello All,

      What a great site for info on the classic models! My wife and I have
      been looking at slide-in campers and recently came across something
      we hadn't thought of....a Winnebago! We saw a 1979 unit for sale
      today. Nice outside...for the age. Immaculate inside! I mean the
      seat cushions were all OEM and looked brand new!

      This model has the 360 Dodge engine. I couldn't see what axles or
      gearing it has.

      We are looking at this vehicle to take on outings with our 4-wheel
      drive club when we work with local forest rangers in trail systems in
      north Georgia.

      My question is this, does anyone know what the towing capacity is for
      this model? Can't seem to find this info anywhere. I have a 4500 lb
      Jeep Cherokee that we would be using on these outings and would like
      to flat tow behind the Brave.

      Any info concerning this matter would be of immense help.

      Thanks In Advance...

      Ric and Lynn
    • deschwar_83536
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 29, 2002
        I would say that you are asking too much of a 360 to tow 4500#. I
        have a Dodge 440 and have towed a 2,000# Susuki and presently tow a
        3,000# Merc Topaz. Your tranny would probably go before your engine
        at that weight.

        co-moderator
        Dad

      • hackeyfly@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2002
          Ric- I would be leery of trying to pull that much with a 360, in the hills.
          How long is the rig? My 73 Fan class C is on a dodge chassis with a 360 4v
          and 4.10 rear, with 16.5 " tires. I turn about 2800 rpm@60mph. I used to tow
          a small boat that weighed 1100# , trailer included. Not a big deal. My dad
          borrowed the rig and towed his 59 Metropolitan through the Pennsylvania
          mountains, that car weighs about 1500#, he said it did fine. I am now towing
          a 21' Starcraft aluminum boat, I estimate the towing weight at 2500#, but I
          haven't had it to the scale yet, and I feel like I am at the limit. On the
          small grades I have my foot on the floor to maintain 55, and if I loose the
          momentum, I will keep losing speed till the downshift @ 35mph. Hard on the
          poor truck. Here in eastern MD we enjoy a pretty flat landscape, I am 3 hours
          from the ocean and the elevation drop is only 500'. Oh, and my truck weighs
          10,500# loaded, by itself. I think if you are in the mountains you would want
          a big block, 413 or 440.
          Good luck,
          Pat in MD
        • bobalou1@prodigy.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 30, 2002
            Your tranny would probably go before your engine
            at that weight.
            co-moderator, Dad

            Dad I agree, The transmission is the area of concern. The 360 engine
            will have performance and fuel mileage loss problems on hills
            depending on the length of the coach, but if the engine temperature
            is closly monitored it should handle it.

            The trans may over-heat though if a large enough cooler was not
            properly installed. A electric fan that mounts in front of everything
            will greatly reduce the heat in the engine and trans as an added
            measure of protection.

            I have been towing a 2800 pound Tracker for years and just recently
            purchased a new Pontiac Vibe, it weighs 3000 pounds. These vehicles
            are towed on a dolly that weighs about 350 pounds so I am approaching
            the max on my hitch at 3500 pounds.

            My 84 Pace with the 454 feels the weight of the auto, I know this
            because at times I need to help the cruise control maintain speed
            going up hill when the auto is being towed.

            Without the auto I can take a nap while driving LOL, she drives like
            a dream, Bob.
          • Manuel Domingos

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 30, 2002
                --- In classicrv@y..., "Manuel Domingos" <mdomingo@n...> wrote:
                > I've been thinking about a Tracker "toad" for my '72 Superior, I've
                got the 413. But if the transmission is the weak link, how do you
                figure out whether you're OK?

                As a rule of thumb, the larger the engine the larger the cooling
                system. The more weight you are planning on pulling will push the
                cooling system to the limit or surpass it's capabilities. This is why
                add on coolers and electric fans were developed, the engines are
                capabile for the most part to pull anything, it is just how fast you
                want to do it. But the transmissions need to be protected due to the
                added strain on them.

                Most owner manuals will give the recommended maximum weight that a
                vehicle can safely tow without any needed accessories. I would not
                tow any more than 1500 lbs with a 4 cylinder, 3000 lbs with a 6 cyl
                or 5000 lbs with a larger 8 cyl.

                Tossing on an aftermarket trans cooler is a simple job and wise
                investment if any kind of extended towing is planned. Through hills
                and mountains make it a requirement.

                Bob.
              • Ric Barton
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 30, 2002
                  Thanks for all the input, guys! This has been really helpful. Plus, I
                  looked at the curb weight of the Cherokee this morning on the door
                  sticker.and it said 4900 lbs! With the winch, heavy duty bumpers with spare
                  tire carrier, skid plates and 33x12.50 tires I've installed..it's probably
                  pushing 5500 lbs. Still, 8 mpg is a no go for us, which is what I'm told
                  the larger V8s will offer.at best. Not sure what to do at this point. The
                  whole point of looking for a Class C unit to replace my pop-up.which is
                  practically brand new.is to pull my Cherokee instead of my Cherokee pulling
                  our "home" and having something break on the trail..then stranding us with
                  both somewhere far from home. Decisions..Decisions :-O

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • bobalou1@prodigy.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 30, 2002
                    Still, 8 mpg is a no go for us, which is what I'm told
                    > the larger V8s will offer.at best. Not sure what to do at this
                    point.

                    8* mpg is correct but once you get there it is only 12 to 20 dollars
                    per night. We just went on a 1000 mile trip, about $220.00 in gas (I
                    have more now than I left with) towing the Tracker and spending
                    $16.00 per night at Lake Cumberland State Park. 12 nights at $16.00 =
                    $192.00, plus $220.00 for gas = $412.00 for a 2 week stay. This is a
                    4 night stay at some Holiday Inn's.

                    On shorter (time wise) trips it is NOT cost worthy to take the coach,
                    but I just love to be able to go when ever and where ever I want.

                    You weigh the pro's and con's, Bob.