What is considered 'good' engine vacuum?

  • grizzly72911
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2002
      Greetings, all - it's me again.

      Can anyone clue me in on what to expect for a vacuum reading at
      idle? I hooked up a gauge and got a reading of 10 (inches I think),
      but I don't know if this is acceptable or not.

      The mystery 5/8" line branching off of the brake vacuum is thought to
      be to a vacuum resivour, and I will clamp it off to check for
      improvement tomorrow. If the leak is here, I haven't a clue as to
      how to get to it.

      Other identified vacuum lines are:
      Distributor
      1/2" to brakes
      PCV Valve
      From top of carb to bottom?
      (These all appear to be ok)

      and -

      There is a small (distributer line size)line that goes to a
      electronically controlled valve? and back to a saucer like canister
      mounted to the back side of the motor. This is connected to a chain
      that appears to increase the throttle when there is enough vacuum to
      tighten the chain. I have never seen any movement from this unit
      when operating the motor - so I don't know if it works or not. Both
      of the lines have been replaced and are solid, so if anything is
      wrong it is at the valve or the canister.

      Have I missed any other vacuum lines? Someone mentioned a vacuum
      line to the trans, but I haven't seen one.

      Thanks for the help!
    • mike_w@prodigy.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2002
        SNIP
        >There is a small (distributer line size)line that goes to a
        >electronically controlled valve? and back to a saucer like canister
        >mounted to the back side of the motor. This is connected to a chain
        >that appears to increase the throttle when there is enough vacuum to
        >tighten the chain. I have never seen any movement from this unit
        >when operating the motor - so I don't know if it works or not. Both
        >of the lines have been replaced and are solid, so if anything is
        >wrong it is at the valve or the canister.

        Sounds like your cruise control unit.

        Mike W.
        Latrobe,Pa
      • bobalou12000
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2002
          --- In classicrv@y..., "grizzly72911" <kgrizard@g...> wrote:
          > Greetings, all - it's me again.
          >
          > Can anyone clue me in on what to expect for a vacuum reading at
          > idle? I hooked up a gauge and got a reading of 10 (inches I
          think),
          > but I don't know if this is acceptable or not.

          "Good engine vacuum" is 17 to 20 inches of vaccum at idle.

          > There is a small (distributer line size)line that goes to a
          > electronically controlled valve? and back to a saucer like canister
          > mounted to the back side of the motor. This is connected to a
          chain
          > that appears to increase the throttle when there is enough vacuum
          > tighten the chain. I have never seen any movement from this unit
          > when operating the motor - so I don't know if it works or not.

          That is your cruse control unit! Please don't take this the wrong way
          but it now sounds like you are in way over you head and it may be
          time to pay the piper, (repair shop).

          Bob.
        • Tinker
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2002
            If you live below 13,000 ft 10 inches is way to low. You should be around 18 plus inches at idle. Clamp down on that hose with pliers and see if the vacuum goes up.

            Tinker