The untimely demise of my 1977 Dodge Cobra

  • carolynnepark
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2002
      Hello All,

      After a long forced hiatus from taking my MH out for a nice trip, I
      decided I HAD to go for my "Excellent Adventure". I left on April
      17th, and headed south, with no firm ideas about where I was going to
      end up. "Ree-vey" (the MH) and I visited some terric places. We went
      to Williamsburg, VA; Virginia Beach; North and South Carolina,
      Georgia; Ft Lauderdale, the Everglades and the west coat of Florida,
      back up into Georgia and then into Tennesee. On Sunday, the storm
      system that was bringing destruction to so many places in the south
      caused me to try to pick up my speed to try to get out of the area of
      the storms and I arrived in Tennesee in the early evening. I
      continued to travel much later in the evening than usual, passing
      Knoxville at about 9pm. Shortly afterwards, on I-75, I saw a sign for
      a state park that allowed campers and decided to "drop the hook"
      there for the night. Sometime between 10 and 11 pm, struggling up a
      steep 2-lane with switchbacks toward the state park, the engine burst
      into flames. With no place to go to get her off the road, about 30 or
      so pounds of propane and more than 30 gallons of gasoline onboard and
      a fire extinquisher about as useful as a mouthful of spit, I very
      quickly abandoned my motorhome and high-tailed it down the road (yes,
      the mountain crested just yards later) in search of help. About a
      half-mile later, experiencing frightening chest pains, I found a
      house where wonderful angels lived, both human and canine. The
      gentleman of the house called for help, and also being a heart
      patient, understood my problem and helped me get my heart under
      control.
      The volunteer fire company arrived, but there was no way to save
      Reevey. She exploded and burned to the ground on that mountain road
      in Tennesee. My new friends helped me get to Knoxville so I could
      rent a car and get myself back home to Pennsylvania. I'm home safe
      and am recovering and am mourning the loss of my beloved Reevey. My
      friends, many of whom have enjoyed good times aboard her also, are
      going to join me for a "wake" for her soon.
      It's too soon for me to decide what, if anything, I will do to
      replace her. But, because I cannot travel without the ability to rest
      frequently, I may very well get another motorhome or possibly a
      travel trailer. I am hoping I may be allowed to stay here in the club
      for a while until I can find something I can afford.
      I have a 1994 Chevy S-10 Blazer with a V-6 engine. I am wondering if
      it can serve as a tow vehicle for a small travel trailer. Can anyone
      give me some ideas about that? Also, as I have never really looked at
      travel trailers, some idea of the amenities they usually include
      (bath and kitchen facilities)?

      Thanks to you all,
      Carolynne
    • Tony Peregoy
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2002
        Sorry about your loss. That was truly a tragedy, but you made it out
        safely. You experienced a fear some of us have thought about: what would I
        do if a fire broke out? How can I get the family out of here quickly? I
        guess we should each play out the scenario just in case.

        Knowing nothing about you, I would first ask if you are interested in
        maintaining an older motor home or do you want a newer model. I run a web
        site for Travco motor homes. They are well built but all built in the 60's
        and 70's. We have hundreds and hundreds of members. We also have a page
        for those that are for sale. If you can stand tinkering on it now and then,
        you sure can get a good deal on one. The site is www.mytravco.com. Check
        it out and visit the Buy-Sell page. Maybe that will give you a starting
        point.

        Then, go to my Links page and click on Vintage Vacations (sorry, I can't
        remember the address off hand). That guy knows everything about travel
        trailers. I'd talk to him and get his ideas about a trailer.

        Good luck,

        Tony Peregoy

        [Tony Peregoy]
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • deschwar_83536
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2002
          First of all I am extremely happy that you are OK!!! My condoleces
          for the loss of "Ree-vey", but remember it is only "STUFF" and we can
          always get more "STUFF". AAANNNDDDD you are certainly welcome to
          remain here as part of our family, because you will be back rv-ing
          befoe you know it. I am not sure(but I think) that the S-10 if a
          stick requires an axle disconnect - unless it is 4-wheel drive then
          it might be able to be towed 4 on the ground. If automatic it would
          require either a tow-trailer or a transmission pump. Check with your
          mechanic. There is also a book out on towables and their
          requirements to tow.

          Duane - Dad

          --- In classicrv@y..., "carolynnepark" <CarolynnePark@j...> wrote:
          > Hello All,
          >
          > After a long forced hiatus from taking my MH out for a nice trip, I
          > decided I HAD to go for my "Excellent Adventure". I left on April
          > 17th, and headed south, with no firm ideas about where I was going
          > end up. "Ree-vey" (the MH) and I visited some terric places. We
          went
        • Tinker
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2002
            Sorry to here about your loss. As another heart patient I understand the need to rest frequently. In the past I pulled a 15 ft Mallard trailer behind a 84 S10 Blazer all over the country with few problems. I added a transmission cooler and a larger radiator (the radiator was iffy anyway, so I put in a larger one knowing that I was going to travel with it) My advice would be to look at lightweight trailers (Travellite, Alumilite, Airstream) and go as small as your comfortable with. I stepped up to a 25ft Avion and although it was in the weight limit for the Blazer, it definitely wagged the dog on the highway. You need to think about hitching and unhitching, these can be strenuous workouts with a manual jack and leveling blocks. I'm buying a bus to convert so I can get away from the hitch/ unhitch and level routine. An electric jack can save a lot of chest pain I found.

            Tinker

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2002
              That's a shame to have one's home or home away from home get
              destroyed. Was the cause ever determined? I stop and think about
              that, when I took my RV in for minor exhaust work only to find the
              fuel pump seal had broke, dripping a moderate amount the fuel but
              still pumping enough to run the engine! $30 fuel pump fixed that.

              Service.

            • Terry Tyler
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2002
                on 05/01/02 10:02 AM, CarolynnePark@... wrote:

                > I have a 1994 Chevy S-10 Blazer with a V-6 engine. I am wondering if
                > it can serve as a tow vehicle for a small travel trailer. Can anyone
                > give me some ideas about that? Also, as I have never really looked at
                > travel trailers, some idea of the amenities they usually include
                > (bath and kitchen facilities)?

                Hi Carolynne,

                If you haven't considered one of the small Airstreams (16' or17'), you might
                want to put that into your mix of ideas. There's an email discussion group
                (500+ members) like this one for owners and restorers of 25 year old (and
                older) trailers. It's called the Vintage Airstream Club. Let me know if
                you're interested and I'll provide the address. Also, there are a dozen or
                more URLs with Airstream classifieds if you'd like to begin searching by
                looking at pictures, prices and floor plans.

                As for amenities, they usually include most of those that were in your
                "Reevey," although on a smaller scale. If you buy a restored Vintage
                Airstream, there's an excellent chance of it being attractive and as road
                worthy as anything you might buy brand new (but for a whole lot less money
                and a whole lot more camaraderie).

                By all means, look at the Tony's Travco website and anything else you can
                drum up. There are hundreds of options. If you choose an Airstream Bambi or
                Airstream Caravel, your truck will handle it better and will need fewer
                modifications than if you choose a larger trailer weighing close to your
                truck's limit.

                Terry

                mailto:tylerbears@...
                1975 Mercury Wagon 460CID with factory trailer towing package
                1967 22' Airstream Safari weighing more than 4,000 pounds.
              • laurawinsworth@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2002
                  I can certainly sympathize with your loss. Hubby and I lost our beloved 1979
                  Flair to a fire last year. Can't begin to describe the sense of loss and
                  "what do we do now?". We have since purchased a 1984 El Dorado (both RV's
                  are/were class C's), so we are once again able to hit the road.

                  Hubby is disabled and can't travel far without frequent rests, so a motorhome
                  is the perfect choice for us. I do nearly all the driving, so he can nap
                  whenever the need arises without having to pull over...

                  Dee Winsworth
                  Earlsboro OK