Oh dang, what's that smell

  • Tom and Beth Simmons
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2002
      Been awile, but filled the big aft fuel tank. So now I smell gas when
      driving and
      there's gas coming from somwhere up on top. The mechanic said he'd have to
      drop the tank to see, and guess where 50 gallons of gas goes.

      OH yeah, it's a 79 Winnie Brave with dual tanks. My guess is either a
      cracked
      fuel line or the gasket around the sending unit. Has anybody had this
      happen?
    • wrdavis95370
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26, 2002
        I think the fuel line comes out near the bottom. But there's a vent
        line at the top. It could be bad/broken/snapped hose clamp. And the
        filler hose probably goes in up there. And your idea of a gasket
        maybe on the fuel sender. All require the tank to be dropped. Think
        I'd take a 48 gallon trip before having it worked on.

        Seems a clever RV company could have an inspection plate/access hole
        over the fitting on the fuel tank. Sure would make that problem
        easier. Naturally that would put horrible restrictions on the
        compartment layout.

        Bill Davis
      • laurawinsworth@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2002
          Be very careful here - we smelled a little gas in our motorhome, no strong
          odor, just barely noticeable. Now the motorhome is a burned out hulk. Hubby
          moved it so he could mow and the poor mh caught fire. seems the rubber fuel
          line had a small crack in it. Didn't leak enough to be easy to find....

          Dee Winsworth
          former owner of 1979 Fleetwood Flair 23' "C"
          Now own 1984 El Dorado 27' Class "C", Bermuda