Re: [classicrv] New 73 Executive Owner

  • Rob Sandera at Webatola
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2001
      413 holy Moses that’s a collectors item for hotrodders. books can be
      found at http://www.haynes.com/na101.html#anchor559935 I’d buy a truck
      manual for that year. I’m guessing that engine would like a higher
      grade of gas. You may have to time it a little off spec to avoid spark
      knock. I take it there are no specs on the valve cover or aircleaner
      --
      Sincerely,
      Rob Sandera

      grizzly72911 wrote:

      > Good Morning, all!
      >
      > I am new to the list, as well as to both owning and operating an RV.
      > We recently purchased a 1973 Executive 28' class A, and moved it from
      > N. California to our building site in Simi Valley. The drive down
      > was rather uneventful (whew!), but did point out quite a few
      > irritating problems I need to work on.
      >
      > First off, it needs a tune up. It runs well at speed (as high as 75
      > I think, but speedo stops at 40), but is dicey getting there. Can
      > anyone suggest where I can locate a repair manual for a Dodge 413
      > from this era? Or have the basic tune-up specifications? Any help
      > would be greatly appreciated!!!
      >
      > We bought the vehicle primarily so we could put my son at our
      > building site to prevent more vandalism from occurring, but it's in
      > such great shape we decided that we want to RV with it after
      > construction is complete. I was VERY happy to find this list this
      > morning - it's really nice to find a group dedicated to keeping these
      > elegant older vehicles alive and well.
      >
      > I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions as I discover more about the
      > RV, I hope you're up for it!
      >
      > Thanks for the help!
      >
      > Kevin Grizard,
      > 1973 Executive,
      > Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

    • Mike W.
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2001
        The 413 was used in older Dodge motorhomes and is a great truck motor.
        I agree with the poster who suggested premium fuel. I think those motors
        where around 10:1 compression.

        Mike W.
        Latrobe, PA
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2001
          grizzly72911 wrote:

          Can
          > anyone suggest where I can locate a repair manual for a Dodge 413
          > from this era? Or have the basic tune-up specifications? Any help

          On your vehicle identification plate next to the drivers seat from right
          to left the 5th letter should be D to be a 440 the sixth number is the
          last number of the year. If the engine is original 440 on the manifold
          behind the power steering on the left is a pad scrape it and it should
          say 440 T or -3 or something. Every Dodge Chassis class A I have ever
          seen has had a 440. Plug gap is .035 timing is depending on your
          emission sticker probably on the right valve cover. If she runs choppy
          with no ticking though you can almost be assured that thermoquad carb
          needs cleaned. And oh what fun those plugs are on that left side if
          that heat shields up in there.
          --
          Sincerely,
          Rob Sandera
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2001
            Thanks, Rob!

            There is a sticker on the valve cover. Found it this afternoon, but
            the engine size side has been thrashed. It does cut it down to a
            couple of timing specs to try. I'm more concerned on how the heck
            I'm gonna get to the spark plugs on the driver's side.

            Went to the local auto store to get the basics - plugs, dizzy cap,
            rotor, etc. No joy - the computers need a make/model, and the clerk
            couldn't find anything with a 413.

            More fun tomorrow!

            Kevin

          • Rob Sandera at Webatola
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 8, 2001
              grizzly72911 wrote:

              > Thanks, Rob!
              >
              > There is a sticker on the valve cover. Found it this afternoon, but
              > the engine size side has been thrashed. It does cut it down to a
              > couple of timing specs to try. I'm more concerned on how the heck
              > I'm gonna get to the spark plugs on the driver's side.
              >
              > Went to the local auto store to get the basics - plugs, dizzy cap,
              > rotor, etc. No joy - the computers need a make/model, and the clerk
              > couldn't find anything with a 413.
              >
              > More fun tomorrow!
              >
              > Kevin

              Plugs oh what fun. Lay on the ground have good fingers Stubby
              extension, flex hex, short extension, long extension, screwdriver to pop
              off stubborn spark plug boots. Careful not to crack plugs when
              tightening at bad angles. They don’t need 10 million pounds of torque
              there. If you can get that heat shield out of there and refab and
              reattach it later with a couple screws in a convenient location matters
              would be allot easier. It may also be worth it to consider dropping the
              starter be sure to unhitch the battery though.. Rear plug was put in
              form both inside and laying on the ground to tighten. Took me 4-6 hrs
              to do that side. Other side just turn the wheel out of your way and
              there right in.

              I’m not sure but I thought 413 engines went out about 1968 I think they
              were more popular in the 1963 era. If you have one some guys would
              probably pay 3-5000.00 or more for that engine for a restoration project
              car. Scrape the pad on that manifold to be sure its flat and to the
              left of the front of the carb between there and the power steering
              pump. If you cant read it sand it with emery and wipe it with some
              wd40 Unless you got a transplant I think you probably got a 440

              If the 5th letter in the vin tag is not D let me know what it is and
              I’ll see what my book says. If its a 440 I can give you specs per my
              sticker if you have the number off the manifold pad. Do a good job on
              your wires and ti wrap them out of the way so they cant get burnt cause
              you wont want to do them again for a long time.

              --
              Sincerely,
              Rob Sandera
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2001
                Kevin, I was a Winnebago salesman from 1971 to 1973 and I don't
                remember any Dodge MH Chassis with a 413 engine. In the early 70's
                they offered the 318 (which was way underpowered for a MH) and the
                440-3. That's why I made the post earlier.

                Regards, Bruce in Raleigh, NC KI4ME
                1983 35FC-RB Wanderlodge
                FMCA 7142s - WL 3910 - GoodSam
                http://www.geocities.com/bamnc/mypage.html
              • qeskimeaux
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 9, 2001
                  -Best of my Knowledge, 413 was available in dodge motorhome chassis
                  until 1973, then replaced by 440-3. I own a 1972 Superior w/413.
                  Pulled it out & replaced it with one I rebuilt from a 73. Only
                  differenc I found was my 72 was chain drive on the cam, 73 was gear
                  drive. Autolite # for plugs 405. Good parts store should be able to
                  find all parts by looking up 413 in a truck (larger than 1 ton). 413
                  motor in cars is different than truck motor. 413 truck motor was
                  never used in a one ton or smaller chassis except in motorhomes. The
                  413 used in half-ton thru 1 ton was the car motor. Dodge brought out
                  the electronic ignition in mid 72, all very common parts & very
                  avail. Best of luck, Wallace O.