Re: Winter Camping

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2001
      I think they mean F.
      I used to camp all year 'round in northern WI. The trailer was set up
      on a seasonal site and I stayed there just about every weekend. By
      November the water was shut off for the winter so I had to bring in
      my own in jugs. Since I had no fresh water supply anyway, I
      winterized the pipes and left the valve open on the gray water
      holding tank. After I used the sink I would just pour a little bit of
      antifreeze down the drain to fill the trap and flush the water out of
      the tank. I didn't use the head. Instead, I used a portapotty. The
      furnace in the trailer was only big enough to handle weather above
      freezing to I had to help it along with one of those portable
      electric heaters.

      -Chris

      --- In classicrv@y..., lsinzelle@f... wrote:
      > Hi !
      >
      > Is it 32 degrees F or C ?
      >
      > LS
      >
      > --- In classicrv@y..., lcampm2@a... wrote:
      > > Does anyone go camping when it is under 32 degrees outside? I
      would
      > like you
      > > all to tell me your ideas and suggestions. I want to make a 1200
      > mile trip
      > > and will experience some freezing weather. I have a class C motor
      > home with
      > > gray and black tanks hanging underneath. The water tank is inside.
      > >
      > > Larry
    • Cathy Sherman
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 16, 2004
        Hello everyone, my husband and I are wanting to go camping in South
        Dakota this coming January. We have a 84 Southwind and I am trying to
        get as much information as possible on how to prepare for this 1 week
        of winter camping. We live in Minnesota and are very aware of how
        cold it can get. We both enjoy being outside in the winter so this is
        something we have both thought about doing for along time. Does
        anyone have any good tips on how to make it in possible temps in the
        teens.

        Thanks Cathy
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 16, 2004
          I have a 78 26' winnebago Chieftain. Rigs of that era really were
          not designed for winter camping. Here are some things I have done to
          mine to support winter camping

          Installed 2" thick insulation board underneath the floors and filled
          the cavities between the joints with expandable foam.
          Installed shrink window over non-cockpit windows.
          Put down carpet runners to increase insulation.
          Installed isulation plugs in vents and the A/C
          Installed thicker fiberglass insulation in all dead spaces and the
          water heater. All my fresh water piping is inside.
          Installed the thin aluminium bubble insulation in the back (outside
          wall) of all cabinets, drawers, closets, etc.
          Added insulation in behind the dash area.
          Used expandable spray foam to fill holes/cracks.
          Use on-board water so fresh hose is not always connected.
          Use RV antifreeze in waste tanks.
          Use an electric heater at campground to reduce propane furnace load.
          Made insulated covers for the front cockpit windows.
          Made an insulated plug for the RV door stairwell.
          Hang a blanket over the RV door in cold weather.
          Keep drawers and cabinet doors craked in real cold weather (prevent
          pipe freeze).
          Only hook up sewer hose when it is time to dump the tanks.

          Hope that helps
          Dave

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Cathy Sherman" <cmsherman@p...>