Weak Magic Chef stove

  • eryn@erynhuntington.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 3, 2001
      My husband and I bought a 1965 Traveleze trailer in nearly mint
      condition this summer and are very happy. I have noticed, however,
      that the original Magic Chef is weak compared to my Coleman propane
      camping stove. It's like the burners on the Magic Chef only go up to
      medium high and it takes forever to perc coffee, etc. The oven seems
      to work just fine.

      Any thoughts?
    • Rob Sandera at Webatola
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 4, 2001
        eryn@... wrote:

        > My husband and I bought a 1965 Traveleze trailer in nearly mint
        > condition this summer and are very happy. I have noticed, however,
        > that the original Magic Chef is weak compared to my Coleman propane
        > camping stove. It's like the burners on the Magic Chef only go up to
        > medium high and it takes forever to perc coffee, etc. The oven seems
        > to work just fine.
        >
        > Any thoughts?

        Your oven would hold the heat so it may appear like its fine cause once
        its warmed up its not hard to maintain the heat, but what could be the
        problem is a weak or stuck fuel pressure regulator from the tank. If
        there’s a problem with the regulator you wont get any heat or enough
        heat. I’m not sure how they work on stoves but on furnaces a furnace
        man sets the furnace valve gas control with a manometer so maybe its
        possible it can be checked the same way. I believe what they are doing
        is setting the low pressure to the burner from the gas valve. They
        often do this after a fuel conversion gas to propane etc. Also the age
        of your unit (1965) are you comparing to a new Coleman unit as many
        changes have came about in gas appliances for efficiency and safety and
        that could be part of the difference also. Hope it helps. I would call
        a furnace guy or appliance shop that repairs stoves. Magic Chef may be
        able to help you to possibly they have a burner upgrade.
        --
        Sincerely,
        Rob Sandera
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 4, 2001
          Hi there.. Sometimes the burners get dirty. I had a stove on a boat
          and about once in 6 months I would have to take out the burners and
          clean the holes. Are all the burners low on flame??? If so maybe
          the regulator for the gas is not letting enought in. Also there is
          an air supply adjustment on each control. That adjusts lean or
          rich. If all burners are low then the supply to the stove is low in
          volume. Check the hose for crimped line or restriction. These
          stoves are not high tech. Most mechanical systems. Cleaning is the
          key. Be carefull of LP. Gas. Stays low to the floor. Have to sweep
          it out.!!!! Good Luck. Hope this helps...DC

          --- In classicrv@y..., Rob Sandera at Webatola <rob@o...> wrote:
          > eryn@e... wrote:
          > >
          > > My husband and I bought a 1965 Traveleze trailer in nearly mint
          > > condition this summer and are very happy. I have noticed, however,
          > > that the original Magic Chef is weak compared to my Coleman
          propane
          > > camping stove. It's like the burners on the Magic Chef only go up
          > > medium high and it takes forever to perc coffee, etc. The oven
          seems
          > > to work just fine.
          > >
          > > Any thoughts?

          Service.

          > Your oven would hold the heat so it may appear like its fine cause
          once
          > its warmed up its not hard to maintain the heat, but what could be
          the
          > problem is a weak or stuck fuel pressure regulator from the tank. If
          > there's a problem with the regulator you wont get any heat or enough
          > heat. I'm not sure how they work on stoves but on furnaces a
          furnace
          > man sets the furnace valve gas control with a manometer so maybe its
          > possible it can be checked the same way. I believe what they are
          doing
          > is setting the low pressure to the burner from the gas valve. They
          > often do this after a fuel conversion gas to propane etc. Also the
          age
          > of your unit (1965) are you comparing to a new Coleman unit as many
          > changes have came about in gas appliances for efficiency and safety
          and
          > that could be part of the difference also. Hope it helps. I would
          call
          > a furnace guy or appliance shop that repairs stoves. Magic Chef
          may be
          > able to help you to possibly they have a burner upgrade.
          > --
          > Sincerely,
          > Rob Sandera
        • Rob Sandera at Webatola
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 4, 2001
            I’m sorry you misunderstood. I was merely referring to the oven that it
            would be more difficult to check for not heating as fast. I presume the
            same gas control runs both the burners and the oven.
            --
            Sincerely,
            Rob Sandera

            fgwva wrote:

            > I believe she was referring to the TOP burners, as no Coleman stove I
            > know of have an OVEN

            > Service.
            >
            > Your oven would hold the heat so it may appear like its fine cause
            > once
            > its warmed up its not hard to maintain the heat, but what could be
            > the
            > problem is a weak or stuck fuel pressure regulator from the tank. If
            > there's a problem with the regulator you wont get any heat or enough
            > heat. I'm not sure how they work on stoves but on furnaces a
            > furnace
            > man sets the furnace valve gas control with a manometer so maybe its
            > possible it can be checked the same way. I believe what they are
            > doing
            > is setting the low pressure to the burner from the gas valve. They
            > often do this after a fuel conversion gas to propane etc. Also the
            > age
            > of your unit (1965) are you comparing to a new Coleman unit as many
            > changes have came about in gas appliances for efficiency and safety
            > and
            > that could be part of the difference also. Hope it helps. I would
            > call
            > a furnace guy or appliance shop that repairs stoves. Magic Chef may
            > be
            > able to help you to possibly they have a burner upgrade.
            > --
            > Sincerely,
            > Rob Sandera

          • Tom Bakko
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 4, 2001
              I disagree, while our motorhome doesn't put out quite as much stove burner
              flame as does the range at home, it's not a lot less. I find it very hard to
              believe that the overhead clearance has much to do with it. If the flame
              seems too small, it probably is, have the regulator checked.

              Tom
              due to the limited over head space in a camper, the burners are designed to
              put out a smaller, less hot flame. After all, we do not need a 3-6" burner
              flame in a camper!!!!
              You are in a CAMPER not at some 5 star restaurant that needs such heat to
              prepare 100's of meals.

              fgwva wrote:

              > I believe she was referring to the TOP burners, as no Coleman stove I
              > know of have an OVEN

              > Service.
              >
              > Your oven would hold the heat so it may appear like its fine cause
              > once
              > its warmed up its not hard to maintain the heat, but what could be
              > the
              > problem is a weak or stuck fuel pressure regulator from the tank. If
              > there's a problem with the regulator you wont get any heat or enough
              > heat. I'm not sure how they work on stoves but on furnaces a
              > furnace
              > man sets the furnace valve gas control with a manometer so maybe its
              > possible it can be checked the same way. I believe what they are
              > doing
              > is setting the low pressure to the burner from the gas valve. They
              > often do this after a fuel conversion gas to propane etc. Also the
              > age
              > of your unit (1965) are you comparing to a new Coleman unit as many
              > changes have came about in gas appliances for efficiency and safety
              > and
              > that could be part of the difference also. Hope it helps. I would
              > call
              > a furnace guy or appliance shop that repairs stoves. Magic Chef may
              > be
              > able to help you to possibly they have a burner upgrade.
              > --
              > Sincerely,
              > Rob Sandera

              Epil Stop & Spray Painless Hair Removal. Spray on and wipe off!
              Just $24.95 at Youcansave.com
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/gC2sGD/6jNDAA/ySSFAA/z1TolB/TM

            • fgwva
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 4, 2001
                I believe she was referring to the TOP burners, as no Coleman stove I know of have an OVEN

                > My husband and I bought a 1965 Traveleze trailer in nearly mint
                > condition this summer and are very happy. I have noticed, however,
                > that the original Magic Chef is weak compared to my Coleman propane
                > camping stove. It's like the burners on the Magic Chef only go up to
                > medium high and it takes forever to perc coffee, etc. The oven seems
                > to work just fine.
                >
                > Any thoughts?

                Your oven would hold the heat so it may appear like its fine cause once
                its warmed up its not hard to maintain the heat, but what could be the
                problem is a weak or stuck fuel pressure regulator from the tank. If
                there's a problem with the regulator you wont get any heat or enough
                heat. I'm not sure how they work on stoves but on furnaces a furnace
                man sets the furnace valve gas control with a manometer so maybe its
                possible it can be checked the same way. I believe what they are doing
                is setting the low pressure to the burner from the gas valve. They
                often do this after a fuel conversion gas to propane etc. Also the age
                of your unit (1965) are you comparing to a new Coleman unit as many
                changes have came about in gas appliances for efficiency and safety and
                that could be part of the difference also. Hope it helps. I would call
                a furnace guy or appliance shop that repairs stoves. Magic Chef may be
                able to help you to possibly they have a burner upgrade.
                --
                Sincerely,
                Rob Sandera

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • fgwva
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 4, 2001
                  Yes it does, but the oven splits off the same tubing as the burners; as a general rule... due to the limited over head space in a camper, the burners are designed to put out a smaller, less hot flame. After all, we do not need a 3-6" burner flame in a camper!!!!

                  fgwva wrote:

                  > I believe she was referring to the TOP burners, as no Coleman stove I
                  > know of have an OVEN

                  > Service.
                  >
                  > Your oven would hold the heat so it may appear like its fine cause
                  > once
                  > its warmed up its not hard to maintain the heat, but what could be
                  > the
                  > problem is a weak or stuck fuel pressure regulator from the tank. If
                  > there's a problem with the regulator you wont get any heat or enough
                  > heat. I'm not sure how they work on stoves but on furnaces a
                  > furnace
                  > man sets the furnace valve gas control with a manometer so maybe its
                  > possible it can be checked the same way. I believe what they are
                  > doing
                  > is setting the low pressure to the burner from the gas valve. They
                  > often do this after a fuel conversion gas to propane etc. Also the
                  > age
                  > of your unit (1965) are you comparing to a new Coleman unit as many
                  > changes have came about in gas appliances for efficiency and safety
                  > and
                  > that could be part of the difference also. Hope it helps. I would
                  > call
                  > a furnace guy or appliance shop that repairs stoves. Magic Chef may
                  > be
                  > able to help you to possibly they have a burner upgrade.
                  > --
                  > Sincerely,
                  > Rob Sandera

                • fgwva
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 4, 2001
                    So many people buy a camper and expect the oven, stove, AC, Vent hood to operate the same as at home.......

                    As a general rule... reduce the effency of home appliances by 25-50% and you will be close to what a camper was designed to do.

                    I have yet to see a camper with an 80 gallon hot water tank in it delivering 140 degree water for hours! It was never meant to be that way!

                    fgwva wrote:

                    > I believe she was referring to the TOP burners, as no Coleman stove I
                    > know of have an OVEN

                    > Service.
                    >
                    > Your oven would hold the heat so it may appear like its fine cause
                    > once
                    > its warmed up its not hard to maintain the heat, but what could be
                    > the
                    > problem is a weak or stuck fuel pressure regulator from the tank. If
                    > there's a problem with the regulator you wont get any heat or enough
                    > heat. I'm not sure how they work on stoves but on furnaces a
                    > furnace
                    > man sets the furnace valve gas control with a manometer so maybe its
                    > possible it can be checked the same way. I believe what they are
                    > doing
                    > is setting the low pressure to the burner from the gas valve. They
                    > often do this after a fuel conversion gas to propane etc. Also the
                    > age
                    > of your unit (1965) are you comparing to a new Coleman unit as many
                    > changes have came about in gas appliances for efficiency and safety
                    > and
                    > that could be part of the difference also. Hope it helps. I would
                    > call
                    > a furnace guy or appliance shop that repairs stoves. Magic Chef may
                    > be
                    > able to help you to possibly they have a burner upgrade.
                    > --
                    > Sincerely,
                    > Rob Sandera

                  • fgwva
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 4, 2001
                      Check local fire codes! A GAS STOVE TOP can be no closer that 24" OR MORE from FLAMMABLE surfaces above it, this INCLUDES METAL VENT HOODS, as most people never clean out the grease from them, and they can be more problems that a pot of grease catching fire on the stove, you can see the pot burning but not the inside of the vent and outlet!!!!

                      Again a camper stove was N-E-V-E-R designed to perform like a home one!!!!
                      If you get a burner blue flame of 1-2" you are doing GREAT, don't expect 2=5" and if you expect this get out of the camper FAST!!!

                      SURFACES, DEPENDING ON LOCAL CODES!

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 4, 2001
                        A good test for you Tom... stick you butt over the flame on your camper stove just till it feels warm to you. Then measure the clearance, go home and try the same distance on your HOME RANGE/STOVE!

                        We will read about you being dead or your dilly wacker being burnt offf!!! By being so stupid as to try and get as much heat from a camper stove as you would at home!--
                        You are really mis-leading people when it comes to stoves!!!!
                        In a camper you do not have 3000 SF to get rid of the fumes, heat and BTU's, you generally have about 50-100SF to do it in, and my friend... THAT IS WHY CAMPER STOVER ARE SET TO BURN SLOWER WITHOUT THE SAME FLAME/HEAT AS YOU GET AT HOME!!!!
                        20 years in the appliange repair worlk for MAGIC CHEF, GE., WHIRLPOOL,MAY TAG, LITTON, ETC. I do think I know what I am talking about!!! How may years do you have behind you that are CERTIFIED by these firms??

                        about! Original Message -----

                      • haljr57us@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 4, 2001
                          --- In classicrv@y..., eryn@e... wrote:
                          > My husband and I bought a 1965 Traveleze trailer in nearly mint
                          > condition this summer and are very happy. I have noticed, however,
                          > that the original Magic Chef is weak compared to my Coleman propane
                          > camping stove. It's like the burners on the Magic Chef only go up
                          > medium high and it takes forever to perc coffee, etc. The oven
                          seems
                          > to work just fine.
                          >
                          > Any thoughts?

                          HAL HERE. THE BURNER FLAME IS ADJUSTED BY MEANS OF AIR SHUTTERS.
                          IF THE AIR SHUTTERS ARE SET TO FAR OPEN, THE FLAME WILL LIFT AWAY
                          FROM THE BURNER HEAD. IF SET TO CLOSE THE FLAME WILL LOOK HAZY AND
                          THE DISTINCT CONE WILL BE MISSING. THE FIRST THING IS I WOULD CHECK
                          THE GAS PRESSURE. IT SHOULD BE 11 INCHES WATER-COLUMN PRESSURE. OR .4
                          PSI. YOU WILL NEED A MANOMETER TO DUE THIS TASK. THE GAS PRESSURE
                          REGULATOR FROM THE BOTTLES MIGHT BE A FAULT ALSO. HOPE THAT IS A MORE
                          HELPFUL THEN THE OTHER POSTS
                        • Tom Bakko
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 4, 2001
                            fvwga,
                            Why do you feel it is necessary to be so nasty to people, I was just stating
                            my opinion as I see it. I have been camping in motorhomes, trailers, campers
                            & so forth for about 30 years & I was just relating my experiences. I don't
                            feel that a personal attack was warranted & certainly wasn't appreciated. If
                            you have constructive criticism to relate, do so, but try doing it without
                            being an asshole about it.

                            Tom

                            fgwva wrote:

                            > I believe she was referring to the TOP burners, as no Coleman stove I
                            > know of have an OVEN

                            > Service.
                            >
                            > Your oven would hold the heat so it may appear like its fine cause
                            > once
                            > its warmed up its not hard to maintain the heat, but what could be
                            > the
                            > problem is a weak or stuck fuel pressure regulator from the tank. If
                            > there's a problem with the regulator you wont get any heat or enough
                            > heat. I'm not sure how they work on stoves but on furnaces a
                            > furnace
                            > man sets the furnace valve gas control with a manometer so maybe its
                            > possible it can be checked the same way. I believe what they are
                            > doing
                            > is setting the low pressure to the burner from the gas valve. They
                            > often do this after a fuel conversion gas to propane etc. Also the
                            > age
                            > of your unit (1965) are you comparing to a new Coleman unit as many
                            > changes have came about in gas appliances for efficiency and safety
                            > and
                            > that could be part of the difference also. Hope it helps. I would
                            > call
                            > a furnace guy or appliance shop that repairs stoves. Magic Chef may
                            > be
                            > able to help you to possibly they have a burner upgrade.
                            > --
                            > Sincerely,
                            > Rob Sandera

                            Epil Stop & Spray Painless Hair Removal. Spray on and wipe off!
                            Just $24.95 at Youcansave.com
                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/gC2sGD/6jNDAA/ySSFAA/z1TolB/TM

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
                            Refill any ink cartridge for less!
                            Includes black and color ink.
                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/E11sED/MkNDAA/ySSFAA/z1TolB/TM

                          • Eryn Huntington
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 4, 2001
                              fgwva wrote:

                              > A good test for you Tom... stick you butt over the flame on your
                              > camper stove...

                              All right. That's about enough. While I appreciate all the great ideas
                              and advice about the stove (truly!), rudeness is not required. Let's
                              keep these conversations civilized. It really sucks to open up the old
                              inbox expecting some useful, friendly, or interesting email and get
                              sprayed with vitriol. Find a bar if you want to brawl.

                              Thank you for all the great ideas. I've got several things to try. I
                              appreciate it.
                              Yours,
                              Eryn
                            • Chappell, Joel B
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 5, 2001
                                Right on, Tom!

                                Joel in NH

                              • Chappell, Joel B
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 5, 2001
                                  Eryn-

                                  I did not see the following mentioned in the thread, so if this is a repeat
                                  I'm sorry. In the first season with my rig I had a problem with the hot
                                  water heater, and could not adjust the flame as I though it should be. I
                                  found out that some very small, almost microscopic, red spiders had taken up
                                  residence in the orifice of the gas jet. When I quizzed the old-timer that
                                  works at the parts counter in my favorite RV dealer he said this was a
                                  common occurrence, and to watch for infestations in stoves and furnaces as
                                  well. Not sure if this is a local to NH, or the northeast, phenomena, so
                                  your mileage may vary. He also advised spraying WD-40 on the jets when you
                                  winterize to keep these guys from creeping in. Most important is he said DO
                                  NOT spray WD-40 on the jets if you PLAN TO USE THEM WITHIN 30 DAYS, only if
                                  you are storing for a lengthy winter slumber. Hope you find the problem
                                  Eryn, and ignore the other rumbling :-)

                                  Joel in NH

                                • bobalou1@prodigy.net
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 5, 2001
                                    Any thoughts?

                                    I have assessed your stove from my PC screen and see no problems
                                    with it heating things up! LOL

                                    Bob.
                                  • Tom Bakko
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 5, 2001
                                      fgwva,

                                      Not a problem, must have just been the way I interpreted it, I harbor no ill
                                      feelings and am ready to move on :))

                                      Tom
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 5, 2001
                                        fgwva,

                                        Please don't stop giving us your input, your 20 years of service as an Tech
                                        is an invaluable resource to all of us.

                                        Tom

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 5, 2001
                                          I had no intent to be nasty and didn't think I was. If it appered to be this way, I am sorry to all those that may have taken it this way.

                                          Again I am sorry... I guess my ass needs to be spanked! Again Tom I am truly sorry!!! I owe you one!!

                                          Fred

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 5, 2001
                                            Well I guess everyone took my opinion the wrong way..... Again I am sorry..... PLEASE don't empty you holding tanks on me when I am at the same camp grounds as you are! I in too much S___ now!!!!

                                            I will stay away from GAS cook tops/oven questions in the future and stick with microwave ovens, or how to sweep the floors (hehe).

                                            Guess this cuts me out of asking about my frig problems I am having. Yes I did work on appliances, but none that are used in campers, (water/ammonia).

                                            Have a great one!

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 5, 2001
                                              It's me again, this mess caught my eye, And I had to reply to it.. AND I AM NOT BEING NASTY, off topic, but came to mind.

                                              I bought a Star Craft camper, used and was taken in on the price of it, I didn't know all the problems it had until I got it home etc. I noticed the hot water tank was by -passed (fittings connected together to take it out of the system) I connected the INLET and turned the water on, it flooded the camper. I totally removed the HW heater, pulled the box from around it etc.. The owner b4 me let it freeze and burst. I took it to a local welding company, they welded the aluminum split seam and charged me $30.00, I saved over $300.00 by doing this.
                                              When I got it back home, I connected it up outside of the camper with water lines and connected a gas line to it to test it, it worked great, now it is back in the camper heating water like crazy! Big bucks ahead, until my wife wanted the money I saved!!!!!

                                              I did not see the following mentioned in the thread, so if this is a repeat
                                              I'm sorry. In the first season with my rig I had a problem with the hot
                                              water heater, and could not adjust the flame as I though it should be. I
                                              found out that some very small, almost microscopic, red spiders had taken up
                                              residence in the orifice of the gas jet. When I quizzed the old-timer that
                                              works at the parts counter in my favorite RV dealer he said this was a
                                              common occurrence, and to watch for infestations in stoves and furnaces as
                                              well. Not sure if this is a local to NH, or the northeast, phenomena, so
                                              your mileage may vary. He also advised spraying WD-40 on the jets when you
                                              winterize to keep these guys from creeping in. Most important is he said DO
                                              NOT spray WD-40 on the jets if you PLAN TO USE THEM WITHIN 30 DAYS, only if
                                              you are storing for a lengthy winter slumber. Hope you find the problem
                                              Eryn, and ignore the other rumbling :-)

                                              Joel in NH

                                            • fgwva
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 5, 2001