Winterizing?

  • eryn@erynhuntington.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 28, 2001
      I was wondering if I could get any winterizing tips from more
      experienced folks. My husband and I bought a 1965 Travel-eze trailer
      (19') this last spring and we're parking it for the winter this
      weekend. We live in Seattle, so it doesn't get super cold, but cold
      enough to freeze pipes at least a day or two. So, we're trying to get
      all the water out of the system.

      The rig has a Bowen Automatic Gas Water Heater, but we can't seem to
      find a drain on it. We've pressurized the water tank and blown air
      through the bathroom sink faucet until all it does is hiss...is there
      anything else we should do to dry the lines?

      Also, should we, or shouldn't we, put a "breathable," "water
      resistant" RV cover over her? She'll be under a lot of trees, but I've
      heard covers can trap moisture in. Has anyone had any experience in
      this department?

      Thanks,
      Eryn Huntington
      1965 Travel-eze trailer
      Bellevue, WA
    • Mike W.
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 28, 2001
        the only other thing you could do is fill the water lines with RV anti-freeze.
        Your local RV dealer can sell you a pump to do this with but I just use the
        potable water pump if you have one. If you have ALL the water blown out
        you should be OK.

        Mike W.
        Latrobe, Pa

        I was wondering if I could get any winterizing tips from more
        experienced folks. My husband and I bought a 1965 Travel-eze trailer
        (19') this last spring and we're parking it for the winter this
        weekend. We live in Seattle, so it doesn't get super cold, but cold
        enough to freeze pipes at least a day or two

      • Duane
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 28, 2001
          You should also pour some rv antifreeze down the sink drains into the
          p-traps.

          moderator
          in Portland, OR
          Duane (Dad)

          --- In classicrv@y..., eryn@e... wrote:
          > I was wondering if I could get any winterizing tips from more
          > experienced folks. My husband and I bought a 1965 Travel-eze
          trailer
          Bellevue, WA
        • Jeff F
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 29, 2001
            eryn@... asked:
            << we're trying to get all the water out of the
            system.

            There are two ways to do that:
            - Use air pressure to blow the lines dry.
            This often does NOT remove all the water but it's
            cheap. The little connector you need for your water
            lines costs only a few bucks. On the other hand, if
            water remains somewhere, freezes and causes damage,
            the cheap connector was the wrong thing to buy.
            You have to decide if you want to take that risk.
            - Fill your tank and lines with potable anti-freeze.
            This stuff is called "Pink Stuff". You can buy it in
            gallon bottles and it is actually pink. It is not to
            be confused with automotive antifreeze for your
            cooling system which is green and, more importantly,
            poisonous.

            << The rig has a Bowen Automatic Gas Water Heater, but
            we can't seem to find a drain on it. >>

            Can't help you there.

            << We've pressurized the water tank and blown air
            through the bathroom sink faucet until all it does is
            hiss...is there anything else we should do to dry the
            lines? >>

            You didn't say how you pressurized the tank. The hiss
            may be air escaping. That would be a good sign. ;-)

            << Also, should we, or shouldn't we, put a
            "breathable," "water resistant" RV cover over her?
            She'll be under a lot of trees, but I've heard covers
            can trap moisture in. Has anyone had any experience in
            this department? >>

            Eryn, I don't use covers. Tree sap is difficult to
            clean off but snow and ice will run off and only leave
            a trace where the water washed some dirt from your
            roof - which is normal and will disappear when you do
            your spring cleaning.
            You get different opinions on covers depending on who
            you ask. If your rainwater is highly acidic, I see
            that a tarp makes sense. Otherwise, I save the money
            to buy one, the hassle to put it on and take it off,
            and scrubbing off the mildew or whatever else has
            grown underneath by the time I take it off in the
            spring.

            If you have never winterized your trailer, you may not
            know where all the outlets are. I think it's a smart
            investment into the future of that trailer if you have
            it winterized at an RV service shop WHILE you look at
            what the mechanic does. In other words, tell them
            right up front that you want to look over his
            shoulders and learn how to do it yourself. Most
            places don't mind but some don't want customers in the
            service area. So, go someplace where you can stand
            behind the mechanic. Also, the mechanic can easily
            get another bottle of Pink Stuff from the shelf. If
            you did it yourself, you'd have to drive to the store
            you get one more if you don't have enough. Next year,
            you simply buy the Pink Stuff and take care of it
            yourself. It's not rocket science but if you've never
            done this it's easy to miss a so-called trap in the
            line, or forget about a valve.

            If you want to use air pressure, check your manuals
            for the recommended pressure before you start blowing.
            Too much pressure and you blow the lines, not enough
            and you leave water in the system.

            I wish you good luck.
            Jeff

            http://personals.yahoo.com
          • bobalou1@prodigy.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 29, 2001
              The drain for the hot water tank should be inside the access
              panel on the outside of the camper. You should have two valves, the
              one on top is a pressure relief valve and looks just like the one on
              the hot water tank in your home. The lower valve if not a ordinary
              valve, look for a pipe plug instead of the valve. Remember the drain
              is in the lower part of the tank.
              To run RV anti-freeze through the system first remove all of
              the existing water from the holding tank. You may be leaving a gallon
              or two of water if your rig is not level and slanting away from the
              pick up. If you don't know which end of the tank has the pick up you
              may have to tilt the trailer in 4 different directions to locate the
              pick up. After draining the holding tank completely fill with about 5
              gallons of RV anti-freeze or as many as the label recommends for the
              lenght of your rig. Run the anti-freeze through the system per the
              instrucitons
              While I do allow some to go down the drain I try to re-capture
              as much of the anti-freeze as possible. I then put it back into the
              holding tank to use for the (toilet only) on winter trips. I buy 10
              gallons per year and this year I only paid $1 per gallon at Menards
              after the Prestone rebate.

              Bob.
            • Dash7 (Michigan)
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 29, 2001
                Click on the URL below and it will take you to "Phred's Poop Sheets", then
                scroll down to #10, "Storing an RV." There is a lot of other interesting
                info on this page also.

                http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html

                Don (MI)
                It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 29, 2001
                  this is the best advice I have heard yet. that is what
                  I am going to do .
                  --- "Joel B. Chappell" <jchap@...> wrote:
                  > At 08:22 PM 10/28/01 +0000, you wrote:
                  > >I was wondering if I could get any winterizing tips
                  > from more
                  > >experienced folks. My husband and I bought a 1965
                  > Travel-eze trailer
                  >
                  > Here is my winterizing tip from frozen New
                  > Hampshire. Save yourself some
                  > dough and elbowgrease.... take your RV down to
                  > interstate 10 and keep it
                  > there until next April. You can cruse anywhere you
                  > want on I-10, just don't
                  > get off and head north. Pick it up at Jacksonville
                  > and spend 6 months
                  > getting to Palm Springs. That's my plan.
                  >
                  > Warm regards,
                  > Joel in NH
                  >

                  > Joel B. Chappell
                  > 21 Billings St.
                  > Milford, NH 03055
                  > (603) 673-6240
                  > Home Page = http://www.jlc.net/~jchap/
                  > E-mail = jchap@...

                  > removed]

                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                • Joel B. Chappell
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 29, 2001

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 29, 2001
                      Not entirely true - I was in Brownsville Texas in Feb. 1996 when it
                      froze. That's farther south than I-10 and Miami. It was also in the
                      teens in Naples, Florida at the same time.

                      Dad

                    • CWBOATS@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 30, 2001
                        Dad, I was about to tell you to look at a different map, that Miami was
                        actually much further south than Brownsville Texas. But I dug out my Chart
                        plotter and discovered that they are actually the same latitude. Surprise to
                        me, somehow most maps distort the world and show Florida being further South,
                        due to trying to put a round world on a flat map.

                        I can't say anything about Brownsville weather, cause I have never been
                        there. I really try not to mention things like this to Northerners, cause we
                        don't need any more people in Florida. If you want to go where you really
                        don't have to winterize, try South East Florida. I have lived in Palm Beach
                        County (70 miles north of Miami) for thirty-nine years and have never
                        winterized any of my RVs. (Houseboat or Motorhome). While "Dad" claims it got
                        in the teens in Naples, one time in 1996. Naples is on the West Coast of
                        Florida. The East coast of Florida is warmed by the Gulf Stream, such that
                        our temperature rarely gets below 32 degrees. And when it does, doesn't last
                        long enough to get inside of the RV. We Floridians complain any day the
                        temperature doesn't get to 70 degrees. The number of days we get to complain
                        like that are probably less than 20 days in a year. Yes, it gets hot here in
                        the summer. We get four months of 90 - 94 degrees every day. But it rarely
                        ever goes over 95 any day, and the afternoon breeze off the Gulf Stream does
                        help tremendously.

                        No, I do not work for the Chamber of Commerce, just don't like winter. I
                        spent my first 25 years in Northern Illinois, looking out the window all
                        winter at my boat covered with snow. As a matter of fact the thermometer here
                        now reads 79 degrees, the sun is out, and I think I'll go for a boat ride.

                        Chuck (the Florida Boat Nut)

                      • Chappell, Joel B
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 30, 2001
                          Hi Dad-

                          How long did it stay below freezing? All day, or longer? You usually have
                          about 24 hours of grace. It went down to 22 here Sunday night, but was above
                          freezing by 9AM Monday morning. Nothing froze. I have drained my freshwater
                          tank, and the line to the pump, along with the hot water heater, but have
                          been holding off on installing alky just in case we want to get one more
                          weekend trip in. It usually takes a prolonged period of "soaking" below 30F
                          before stuff freezes to the point of damage, unless there is a strong wind
                          chill factor. I will probably pump some alky in tonight as I will be moving
                          the rig to its winter location on the 1st.(After the 1st we cannot park on
                          the street overnight until April 1 [winter plowing], so I need to move the
                          RV out of the drive so I can move "Fang" in off the street and then in Dec I
                          will store the convertible in the garage.)

                          One thing I wanted to add for the "newbies" is... Make an investment in a
                          "bypass" for the hot water tank and a three-way valve and "whip" for the
                          supply to the pump. Kits for these two items should be on the shelf at your
                          friendly RV store. I drain every thing, then set the three-way valve and
                          "bypass" and pump alky into the system right at the pump. It only takes a
                          gallon and a half to winterize my 33-foot class A with this scheme
                          [including the traps]. The system is definitely NH proof [if you've been
                          here in January, you know what I mean].

                          We're have a 50's heatwave,
                          Joel in NH

                          > Not entirely true - I was in Brownsville Texas in Feb. 1996 when it
                          > froze. That's farther south than I-10 and Miami. It was also in the
                          > teens in Naples, Florida at the same time.
                          >
                          > Dad

                        • Chappell, Joel B
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 30, 2001
                            Hi Chuck!

                            Long time no hear. I know how you feel. Usually in mid-February I go out in
                            the garage and look at my little bass-boat and convertible. Then I open the
                            garage door and try to estimate when the 4-foot snow drift there will be
                            melted away. Ice-out on "Golden Pond" is usually April 14th.

                            Joel in NH

                            > No, I do not work for the Chamber of Commerce, just don't like winter. I
                            > spent my first 25 years in Northern Illinois, looking out the window all
                            > winter at my boat covered with snow. As a matter of fact the thermometer
                            > here
                            > now reads 79 degrees, the sun is out, and I think I'll go for a boat ride.

                          • Greg
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 7, 2003
                              Pardon my ignorance, but as far as winterizing my trailer, what do I
                              need to do?

                              Thanks,
                              Greg
                            • Ida Hull
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 7, 2003
                                This is a great common sense website that will tell you everything you need
                                to know. Ida
                                http://www.phrannie.org/storeRV.html

                                > Pardon my ignorance, but as far as winterizing my trailer, what do I
                                > need to do?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Greg

                                ---
                              • D. Hammond
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 11, 2012
                                  We're leaving our motorhome here in northern California until next summer.
                                  What do we need to do to winterize it? We really don't get freezing
                                  temperatures here very often, but just in case....

                                  D'Aura

                                • Frank
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 12, 2012
                                    Water is usually what will freeze and cause some problems. Most folks connect a special fitting to the water inlet and blow out any water. The water pump and filter can easily be removed for the winter and low temps. The holding tanks should be drained then about a gallon of anti freeze solution into all the tanks. The cost is cheap. Some folks also add half a gallon of anti freeze to the sinks and toilet.
                                    To keep the battery in good condition a small trickle charger and a 24 hour time clock will do a good job. Set the time clock for on for an hour and off for 2 hours. For good protection, the negative connection can be disconnected. Adding some moth balls in a couple areas will keep the mice away. Frank
                                  • Todd Barnard
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 12, 2012
                                      I would amend this slightly, depending on winter temps.

                                      Blowing out the lines with air can be a problem if the plumbing has low
                                      points where residual water can accumulate.

                                      If the holding tanks are drained, there will be plenty of room for
                                      expansion for any remaining water.

                                      You should definitely pour anti-freeze down ALL traps to keep them from
                                      cracking...light weight plastic and little expansion room.

                                      The only sure fire method is to by pass the water heater, permanently or
                                      temporarily, and use the on board pump to pump the anti freeze thru the
                                      lines, Let extra thru the toilet valve, I usually open and close it at
                                      least twice after seeing the colour of the anti freeze. Release the check
                                      valve at the city water connection until you see colour as well. Don't
                                      forget any outdoor showers too!

                                      Once you are confident you have filled all the lines, run a little more
                                      down the traps or pour it in manually.

                                      You can reverse the by pass and replace drains at this point, or I prefer
                                      to wait until spring and run fresh water thru the lines before reversing
                                      the by pass to avoid pushing anti freeze into the water heater tank. This
                                      is not a problem, but it can produce frothy water until its all purged.

                                      Take care, Todd.

                                      On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Frank <frank.id.crown@...> wrote:

                                      > **
                                      >

                                      > Water is usually what will freeze and cause some problems. Most folks
                                      > connect a special fitting to the water inlet and blow out any water. The
                                      > water pump and filter can easily be removed for the winter and low temps.
                                      > The holding tanks should be drained then about a gallon of anti freeze
                                      > solution into all the tanks. The cost is cheap. Some folks also add half a
                                      > gallon of anti freeze to the sinks and toilet.
                                      > To keep the battery in good condition a small trickle charger and a 24
                                      > hour time clock will do a good job. Set the time clock for on for an hour
                                      > and off for 2 hours. For good protection, the negative connection can be
                                      > disconnected. Adding some moth balls in a couple areas will keep the mice
                                      > away. Frank

                                    • coy13gov
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 13, 2012
                                        I have a great idea,,I could move in for a month or so. I am on the eastern side of the states,and we DO have to winterize.
                                        Drain,,prime with pink,(the lines and pump), pour a little extra in toilet,and drains(traps). Check with someone too,may have to drain water heater seperately. Kenny,,eastern panhandle of WV. '87 tioGA