Re: [classicrv] Re: 1973 Lifetime Premier motorhome (Dodge Chassis)

  • austin macmillan
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2001
      --- Sterling Voth <recreationalvehicles@...>
      wrote:
      > --- In classicrv@y..., bradgt@e... wrote:
      > > I just joined this group and I'm looking for a
      > brake booster on
      > this
      > > old beast. It has Two boosters under the chassis
      > about
      > midway and one
      > > seems to be leaking. The reason I say this is that
      > there is
      > heavy
      > > rust at the bottom of one, an indication that
      > fluid is leaking Yes the old rvs do that.I have one
      and had it for 6 years and I have found buy new parts
      ont from a junk yard and not from a discont store good
      luck

      http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
    • Gene Hetsel
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2001
        The units that you have are hydrovac boosters. The units used on
        motorhomes are smaller than the regular units and I have not found a
        source to purchase them. I found a shop in Dallas that can rebuild
        them. I had mine rebuilt about three months ago, cost about $150 per
        unit plus shipping and tax. The units DO have fluid in them and if
        they fail will leave you with no brakes in that half of the system, I
        know as that is how I learned about this problem. I am at my office
        and do not have the shop name but will post it when I get home. The
        process of bleeding the units after reinstalling is also rather
        complexe, I will post that with the shop name this evening.

        Good Luck.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 8, 2001
          The company that can rebuild the units is:

          American Power Brake

          9716 Harry Hines Blvd
          Dallas, TX 75220
          (214) 350-5611

          They have a factory test bench and can fully test the units under
          pressure, measure the out etc after rebuild. I have found the
          following procedure seems to work for me in bleeding this type of
          system.

          1. remove all vacuum by operating the pedal several times with the
          engine off.
          2. gravity bleed system by opening all bleeders until fluid is
          present
          at each.
          3. bleed the hydrovac boosters with the engine off until no air is
          present. Bleed fittings are on the top of each unit.
          4. start the engine and bleed the wheel cylinders with vacuum present.

          --- In classicrv@y..., "Gene Hetsel" <hetsel@s...> wrote:
          > The units that you have are hydrovac boosters. The units used on
          > motorhomes are smaller than the regular units and I have not found a
          > source to purchase them. I found a shop in Dallas that can rebuild
          > them. I had mine rebuilt about three months ago, cost about $150
          per
          > unit plus shipping and tax. The units DO have fluid in them and if
          > they fail will leave you with no brakes in that half of the system,
          > know as that is how I learned about this problem. I am at my office
          > and do not have the shop name but will post it when I get home. The
          > process of bleeding the units after reinstalling is also rather
          > complexe, I will post that with the shop name this evening.
          >
          > Good Luck.
          > --- In classicrv@y..., bradgt@e... wrote:
          > > I just joined this group and I'm looking for a brake booster on
          this
          > > old beast. It has Two boosters under the chassis about midway and
          one
          > > seems to be leaking. The reason I say this is that there is heavy
          > > rust at the bottom of one, an indication that fluid is leaking
          > > inside. Can you buy a comlete unit or rebuild parts? Thanks.
          > >
          > > This old motorhome is close to my heart, since I camped in it
          with
          my
          > > grandparents when I Was a boy. I am 29 now and I am the only
          one
          in
          > > the family that knows this motorhome.
        • Bradley Friedman
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 10, 2001
            Thanks so much for the info about the booster on my LIfetime motorhome. You
            have really been helpful and I'll sure give them a call.
            Thanks again.

            Brad

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 10, 2001
              Thanks for the info and help. I will definitely use your advice.

              Brad