Re: [classicrv] Digest Number 573

  • bob di falco
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2001
      > Message: 4
      > Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 19:04:12 -0000
      > From: bobalou1@...
      > Subject: Re: Digest Number 569
      >
      > > b.d.:: e.g.: how do you drive safely [as to tires]
      ::

      >b.a.:Not trying to offend
      > anyone but it > has amazed me why people are allowed
      to operate> large mtorhomes ... when > most of them
      never drove a vehicle over 16 feet in> length. All
      should > go get the CDL booklet and study it.

      b.d.: yes. i have noticed many drivers
      of r.v.'s seem to me to be driving dangerously,
      that is why i posed one aspect [tires] as
      to cautions:::::

      i thought my question was directed at driving
      rather than quality of tires.

      but, since
      you know quality, seems my rig has a two ton
      drive train, and does have michilins all around,,,
      my question is are these the best or do you
      prefer another brand as to being safer??? i do not
      care how many miles before changing to new tires,
      merely that i have the safest;;;

      also, unfortunately,
      my michilins are rated at max 70p, which is okay,
      but given that a r.v. is always overloaded i wonder
      if i can [should????] get a safer tire that can also
      handle higher psi;;;;;

      and, what is you view on the fact
      that i keep my rears [4] at 75p even tho max
      rate is 70? [fronts i keep at max rated 70p];;
      i do not have a problem with this [75, 70]
      but since max is 70, can i go higher on
      either-both front or rear ; [my only concern
      is blowing the tire....];;;

      these michilins
      came with the rig when i bought it used last
      year, and show nil wear as of today, so i would
      rather keep them until show some wear ;; they
      might even last the 5 or so years i got left
      to drive [am 72y and do not know when i will
      have to quit, so these ought last that long,
      but i would buy new sooner if safer, as above]

      bobalou1 - many thanks for sharing your years
      of experience with us..... one last question::
      since your busses drive city, do you have a
      different view as to r.v., etc, that drive
      supersonic freeways???

      speed is not my problem
      because where there is traffic i drive 45-50,
      and when no traffic i hype it up to 50-55;;;;;
      given the age[1980] of my vehicle, and knowing it
      is overweight [two ton chassis with more than
      two ton rig], i believe this is most prudent,
      and if traffic gets even heavier and or if
      all the nearby vehicles seem to be driven by
      nuts then i slow down accordingly. my view
      is safe is best, regardless of how long it takes

      bob1, again, many thanks

      bob di.

      http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
    • bobalou1@prodigy.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2001
        While most of our buses are on city streets only there are many
        that ride the highways daily. The buses run the highways from the
        downtown area to the out skirts of the city in the morning and from
        the out skirts of the city back to the downtown area in the
        afternoon. This is required due to more people needing to get
        downtown in the morning and get out of downtown in the afternoon. On
        the morning of September 11 we were able to evacuate more than
        1,000,000 people from the downtown area in a very short time. It was
        so quiet at noon it was scary. Our buses are limited to 55mph by the
        engine computer and when one passes me on the highway doing 65 or 70
        mph a phone call is made to the respective garage to have that bus
        looked at, the operator is also in trouble for speeding.
        The tires tread as per the CDL booklet on all comercial
        vehicles is to be not less than 4/32 for front tires and 2/32 for
        rear tires. While putting more rubber on the ground works well at
        Indy or Daytona (slicks) the lack of some kind of tire tread won't
        hold you on the road on wet pavement. Think about a water ski, it is
        flat. The treads are there to channel the water. It has recently been
        suggested that Firestone has been putting defective tires on the
        road, only time and a jury wiil determine if this is true. As far as
        tire brands like everything else you get what you pay for. While
        there are good qualiy bargain brands it must be remembered that one
        of the major brands has most likely designed the tire and is
        marketing it under a different name.
        Most motorhomes that I have seen are only over weight in the
        rear. This is due to the most chassis being a truck chassis, when the
        motorhome is built the area behind the rear wheels is almost always
        the only area with room to install the holding tanks. A 100 gallon
        holding tank will weigh 700 lbs when full, if this tank is 4 feet
        behind the rear wheels the rear is weighed down and the front is
        lightened. I don't really know by how much but I would guess at least
        a conciderable ammount. A friend of mine has a 1984 Class C Honey
        built on a GM chassis. The way his tanks are set up he has a hard
        time keeping the vehicle on the road when fully loaded. The steering
        wheel feels like the front tires are not even touching the ground.
        When he goes anywhere he drains the holding tanks and fills with
        fresh water when he gets where he is going. He is really thinking
        about installing air bags in the rear to help raise the back end up
        to get more weight back onto the front wheels. This is why I say you
        can run your front tires slightly less than the pressure stamped on
        the tire for a better ride, I would not go less than 10% of what is
        stamped on the tire. A tire that states 70 psi max is just that the
        MAX. This is fine for the rear where the weight is but in front will
        give better feel and a smoother ride running at 63 psi.
        As far as other people on this site, lets keep it on the site.
        I don't need a special e-mail just from you! Sorry but your 30 year
        old charts are fine for 30 year old tires. My tires are 1997 models
        and have been improved from the 1970's. More than once I have heard
        someone say how there old 1970 whatever would of been "even faster"
        with todays tires. Check a new manual and I think you will be
        suprised. But once the Firestone issue is settled the manfactures may
        be re-writing the books again.

        Keep it rolling, Bob.
      • Bill Combs
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2001
          > on 10/6/01 3:57 PM, bobalou1@...1@... wrote:

          > As far as other people on this site, lets keep it on the site.
          > I don't need a special e-mail just from you!

          Sorry, Bob, I didn't realize a three line message would tax you so.

          As to form, I can't imagine why the whole list would have been interested in
          my noting -- as politely as I could manage -- that your snide comments are
          uncalled for nor my asking specifically what it is that you disagree with.

          Rest assured I have nothing further to impart, privately or on-list, that
          you'd listen to. That's the way of pomposity.
          --
          Regards,
          Bill Combs <ttursine@...>
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 7, 2001
            Bill et al;

            I am not a english major but I "think" you spelled "pompissity"
            incorrectly.

            Pompissity is my favorite and most accurate description of the
            Mayor and City Council of *Porkland, Oregon.

            By the way Bill are you having trouble with Earthlink?

            Merle

            *Porkland is where the Mayor wants to build shopping mall's,
            office spaces and high end apartments over the freeways, where the
            Mayor commits millions of dollars to failing sports stadiums for
            the benefit of the rich owners of the teams. It is where the
            Mayor and city council annex portions outside of the city limits
            with out a vote of the people. The list is huge. The Mayor of
            Porkland is now in New York City to show support by spending money
            with about 700 plus other wealthy Oregonian's because our
            business's in Porkland apparently don't need it. Oregon is only
            50th of the 50 states in job opportunity outside of the high tech
            industry........... Right on Mayor spend the money in New
            York............

            Bill Combs wrote:

            > > on 10/6/01 3:57 PM, bobalou1@...1@... wrote:
            >
            > > As far as other people on this site, lets keep it on the site.
            > > I don't need a special e-mail just from you!
            >
            > Sorry, Bob, I didn't realize a three line message would tax you so.
            >
            > As to form, I can't imagine why the whole list would have been interested in
            > my noting -- as politely as I could manage -- that your snide comments are
            > uncalled for nor my asking specifically what it is that you disagree with.
            >
            > Rest assured I have nothing further to impart, privately or on-list, that
            > you'd listen to. That's the way of pomposity.
            > --
            > Regards,
            > Bill Combs <ttursine@...>
            > http://home.earthlink.net/~ttursine
            > ---
            > Talk is cheap because
            > supply exceeds demand

          • Tars Campbell
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 7, 2001
              Correction;
              Oregon is 50th out of 50 states in job opportunities out side of
              agriculture. Had a senior moment, time for my pills......

              Tars Campbell wrote:
              > Oregon is only 50th of the 50 states in job opportunity outside of the high tech industry(((((((((Wrong! Should have said agriculture)))))
            • bob di falco
              Message 6 of 6 , May 5, 2002
                Message: 4
                Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 19:04:12 -0000
                From: bobalou1@...
                Subject: Re: Digest Number 569

                Bobalou1,

                many thanks for your explanation and facts below::

                i got 8r17.5, all, and wondered if
                i can and or ought go to a wider
                footprint while keeping the same outside diameter?
                if so, if you got a book, would that
                be up to a 9r17.5?????? mostly i would
                like your opinion if should bother
                to go to bigger footprint....

                again, many thanks

                bob di.
                > e.g.: how do you drive safely [as to tires] ::
                >
                > [1] on a freeway?
                >
                > [2] on country roads?
                >
                > [3] around curves on a freeway?
                >
                > bob di.

                Bob,

                I do work for the 2nd largest transit company in
                the nation, 23
                years and counting for the Chicago Transit Authority.
                I have been in
                maintenance all of this time and if you need to know
                we have over
                2000 buses. This means there are 12,000 tires that hit
                the street
                every day. I an a Quality Control Inspector and have
                been to many
                safety and tire classes and I think I know a little
                something about
                heavy duty tires. I don't quote facts from a 1970
                something manual,
                (see post from 10-5-01 10 am.)
                What I was tryimg to say is that the weight of
                your vehicle is
                constantly changing and there will never be an exact
                tire pressure
                that is correct. Gas, water reserve, how much desert
                you had after
                dinner all changes the weight of your vehicle.
                Temperature is always
                changing thus changing the pressure in you tires. If
                you worry soooo
                much about the pressure you will be spending so much
                time weighing
                your vehicle and adjusting the pressure accordingly
                that you won't
                get much further than your own driveway. FACT: FILL
                YOUR TIRES TO THE
                MAX WILL CREATE A BUMPY RIDE! FACT: UNDERINFLATE YOUR
                TIRES AND YOU
                WILL BE ALL OVER THE ROAD WHILE OVERHEATING THEM! I
                think that most
                of the problem with this discussion is the fact that
                most of us are
                not the original owners of these vehicles and we don't
                have a clue as
                to what size and rating our tires should have. How do
                we know if a
                previous owner got cheap and put a less than equal
                replacement tire
                on the rig to only dump it off at a later date?
                Anyone that wants to drive their motorhome
                safely should go to
                their local drivers bureau and get a copy of the
                Commercial Drivers
                License (CDL) rules of the road booklet for
                information. It's Free.
                This is the booklet that all proffessional drivers
                must know and pass
                a test on before being able to drive a large truck or
                bus. There is
                information about the handling of trucks and buses in
                this book for
                safe driving in all conditions. Not trying to offend
                anyone but it
                has amazed me why people are allowed to operate large
                mtorhomes
                including a 40 foot diesel pusher with air brakes with
                out a CDL when
                most of them never drove a vehicle over 16 feet in
                length. All should
                go get the CDL booklet and study it.

                For all our safety, Bob.

                http://health.yahoo.com