Re: [classicrv] AC

  • kchmn@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , May 19, 2000
      Hi Tracy I have an old Shasta trailer that has a regular house
      window air unit through the drivers side wall, not a real good place for
      it but the ends are curved, so I guess that`s why they put it there. It
      is a little 5000 BTU unit and is so old that it only has an on and off
      switch, no thermostat. I fell to sleep with it on one night and when I
      woke up in the morning it was 53 degrees inside. it was 85 outside. I
      dont think you`ll have any trouble keeping your rig cool with a window
      unit. the only thing is to provide enough support in the wall for the
      weight. bouncing down the roads will put quite a strain on things. How
      about a good used roof unit? I have one from an old `74 Travel Mate I
      just junked out if your not too far from Illinois it might be worth
      thinking about. Kirk Hoffman
    • Tracy Underwood
      Message 2 of 5 , May 19, 2000
        Kirk; depends on what part of Illinois. I'm in extreme north Alabama
        (Huntsville) so it may be worth a Friday/Saturday camping trip in LBL if
        you're in the southern part. Of course, UPS might take it.
        What do you want for it?
        Tracy

        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2000
          Hi Tracy, sorry I didn`t get back to you sooner, I have been away from
          home and just got back. I would like to get $100.00 for the AC unit. I
          am in the far north west corner of Illinois up near Galena. I dont know
          what UPS would charge to ship it or if they even woud it is fairly heavy
          and I think UPS has a weight limit. I would have to crate it for
          shipping and that would add more weight, so it might be cheaper to just
          go with the window unit like you first mentioned.
          This thing came off a 1974 Travel Mate motorhome that onlyhad
          47,000 origional miles on it and I know it has been parked for at least
          8 years, so the AC probably hadn`t hadmuch use either. I will be pretty
          close to home for the next month, so let me know what you want to do.
          Sincerely , Kirk Hoffman
        • Duane schwarm
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2000
            Hi guys - Duane here I was reading your post and just wanted to warn
            you that if an AC unit has been sitting as long as you say it may not
            cool because the seals could dry out and not work correctly.
          • Mark
            Message 5 of 5 , May 31, 2000
              UPS has a weight limit of 72lbs. and is not cheap. You could use a
              freight company which would only cost around $100. You might find
              someone that would transport it for even less then that.

              Happy Websurfing and RVing
              Thank You
              Webmaster_at_TheRVers

              P.S. I am in southwest Michigan right now and may be heading for
              Maryland in a few months.