Re: Salvaging a 1979 Minnie Winnie, dumb or smart??

  • Bruce Morris
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3, 2001
      Heck, for $10.00 you can't go too wrong. At that price the fact that
      you can tell it is a Minnie Winnie is a real plus!

      Regards, Bruce Raleigh, NC 1983 Wanderlodge 35FC-RB
      FMCA 7142s GoodSam ARS KI4ME
      Web: http://www.geocities.com/bamnc/mypage.html

    • jammerd1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
        WOW ! what a buy , You should replace the tires first they will be rotted,
        then work on the brakes they will also be needing work flush brake lines,
        "SAFETY FIRST".
        Then get the rest working GOOD LUCK.
        JIM D

      • John
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
          Salvaging '79 Minnie Winnie

          Smart, if you have the time and place to work on it.

          I would suggest that you replace all rubber hoses, flush brake lines
          and drain the gas tank if possible or add a carb cleaner to gas tank
          and put a
          couple of extra fuel filters in your fuel line, change transmission
          and engine oil, install new filters in engine and transmission and
          lube all grease fittings possible before you start the engine or move
          the vehicle, also spray everything with wd-40.

          I had problems with rust/oxidation in the disk brake calipers causing
          the brakes to lock up, that is why I suggest spraying everything
          including lug nuts with wd-40 it may keep you from breaking bolts and
          studs when working on the vehicle.

          Getting everything that you can clean, and lubricated first will save
          you money in the long run.

          Congratulations on your opportunity.

          John T.

          --- In classicrv@y..., jammerd1@a... wrote:
          > WOW ! what a buy , You should replace the tires first they will be
          rotted,
          > then work on the brakes they will also be needing work flush brake
          lines,
          > "SAFETY FIRST".
          > Then get the rest working GOOD LUCK.
          > JIM D

        • Tars Campbell
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
            Additionally if the motor has not run for 10 years you may want to consult a
            mechanic about taking the plugs out, spraying diesel fuel in the cylinders,
            taking the pan off and checking for crud on the oil pump screen, maybe
            replace the oil pump, then turn it over by hand a few times, maybe with the
            starter a couple of times with the pan off if you cannot turn it over by
            hand,(because of the valve spring resistance or its just plain frozen from
            sitting too long). If every thing looks good put it back together and cross
            your fingers. I would also pressurize the oil galleries, before starting,
            by using a oil pressurizing system used by the hot rodders. Keeps the motor
            from turning those first few hundred revolutions without oil in the lifters,
            and bearing journals.

            On the other hand I have heard of people just putting in a battery, new gas
            and just cranking it up and have a running motor. That procedure I would not
            reccomend.

            Merle

            John wrote:

            > Salvaging '79 Minnie Winnie
            >
            > Smart, if you have the time and place to work on it.
            >
            > I would suggest that you replace all rubber hoses, flush brake lines
            > and drain the gas tank if possible or add a carb cleaner to gas tank
            > and put a
            > couple of extra fuel filters in your fuel line, change transmission
            > and engine oil, install new filters in engine and transmission and
            > lube all grease fittings possible before you start the engine or move
            > the vehicle, also spray everything with wd-40.
            >
            > I had problems with rust/oxidation in the disk brake calipers causing
            > the brakes to lock up, that is why I suggest spraying everything
            > including lug nuts with wd-40 it may keep you from breaking bolts and
            > studs when working on the vehicle.
            >
            > Getting everything that you can clean, and lubricated first will save
            > you money in the long run.
            >
            > Congratulations on your opportunity.
            >
            > John T.
            >
            > --- In classicrv@y..., jammerd1@a... wrote:
            > > WOW ! what a buy , You should replace the tires first they will be
            > rotted,
            > > then work on the brakes they will also be needing work flush brake
            > lines,
            > > "SAFETY FIRST".
            > > Then get the rest working GOOD LUCK.
            > > JIM D

          • Bill Combs
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
              > on 8/4/01 12:19 PM, Tars Campbelltarscampbell@... wrote:

              > On the other hand I have heard of people just putting in a battery, new gas
              > and just cranking it up and have a running motor. That procedure I would not
              > reccomend.

              With good reason. It works maybe 4 times out of 5, but that last time ...!

              Most often -- at least with Dodge engines -- the thing that gets torn up, as
              opposed to just excessively worn, is the valve seals.

              All in all, not a great idea to start dry. Wish I'd not done it more times
              than I care to admit to. :-)
              --
              Regards,
              Bill Combs <ttursine@...>
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
                Salvaging:

                Your engine will probably start, and the vehicle operate, but you may
                grind thousands of miles of use from it in the first few milliseconds
                or miles that it is run unless you make sure that it is lubricated
                first.

                Vehicle parts need lubrication that they may not get by haphazard
                running of the rig. It is in your best interests to make
                sure that everything that is subject to friction has fresh clean
                lubrication and filters.

                You may very well be able to run the oil pump with an electric drill
                to insure lubrication of a dry engine before it is started. At least
                you should turn it over by hand for a while to insure that all
                bearings and parts have lubrication.

                Best of luck in your endeavor.

                John T.

                --- In classicrv@y..., Bill Combs <ttursine@e...> wrote:
                > > on 8/4/01 12:19 PM, Tars Campbelltarscampbell@e... wrote:
                >
                > > On the other hand I have heard of people just putting in a
                battery, new gas
                > > and just cranking it up and have a running motor. That procedure
                I would not
                > > reccomend.
                >
                > With good reason. It works maybe 4 times out of 5, but that last
                time ...!

                > Most often -- at least with Dodge engines -- the thing that gets
                torn up, as
                > opposed to just excessively worn, is the valve seals.
                >
                > All in all, not a great idea to start dry. Wish I'd not done it
                more times
                > than I care to admit to. :-)
                > --
                > Regards,
                > Bill Combs <ttursine@e...>
                > http://home.earthlink.net/~ttursine
                > --
                > Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves,
                > for we shall never cease to be amused.
              • steve schlabra
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 4, 2001
                  I got our 79 dodge brougham from my inlaws for
                  $1.00 but i now have 2500.00 in it.
                  Engine was excellent 38k miles
                  Here is what I replaced:
                  1.complete tune up plugs,wires,rotor,fuel pump,
                  carb,radiator,starter,belts,hoses,oil,filters,etc...
                  2.rebuilt 727 trans, plus cooler.
                  3.new calipers,pads,fluid.
                  4.new wallpaper
                  5.carpet
                  6.upholstery
                  7.tuned up onan gen.
                  8.commode
                  9.ceiling(water damage)
                  10.all new tires,wheel simulators
                  11.complete waste system replaced
                  12.sealed roof
                  13.pulled out all windows and replaced putty
                  14.shocks,ujoints

                  I did everything but the trans. am I through?
                  not hardly, still some minor items,Fun?
                  sometimes.

                  Just got back from Disneyworld(florida)in the
                  brown bear 2,200 miles only 1 fan belt problem.
                  I am now an expert motorhome repairman.?

                  Steve in Texas

                  http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                • Mike W.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 5, 2001