Re: [classicrv] Digest Number 444

  • david gorton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
      Tom
      The virus is a complete hoax...that file is a much needed system file that is part of windows 98.
      I do have a fix, do I need to post it?

      Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 14:08:01 -0700
      From: "Tom Bakko" <ddac69@...>
      Subject: Virus (NOT A JOKE!!!)

      Received the following from a friend. Please follow the
      directions to
      find and delete the file. I did find this virus on my hard
      drive.

      I have received this e-mail and have found the virus on three
      computers!

      Virus software can not detect it. It will not become active
      until June
      1, 2001, at that point it will become active and will be too
      late. It
      wipes out all files and folders on the hard drive. This virus
      travels
      through e-mail and migrates to the C:\windows\command folder.
      To find
      it and delete it off your computer, do the following:

      Go to the START button. Go to FIND or SEARCH Go to FILES &
      FOLDERS Make
      sure the find box is searching the C drive. Type in:
      SULFNBK.EXE Begin
      search. If it finds it, highlight it and press the Del key on
      your
      keyboard. Close the find dialog box. open the Recycle Bin.
      Find the
      file and delete it from the Recycle bin. You should be safe.

      The bad part is: You need to contact everyone you have sent ANY
      e-mail
      to in the past few months. I do not know how long this has been
      on our
      computers.

      DO NOT RELY ON YOUR ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE. McAFEE NOR NORTON CAN
      DETECT
      IT BECAUSE IT DOES NOT BECOME A VIRUS UNTIL JUNE 1ST. IT WILL
      BE TO
      LATE THEN. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT OPEN THE FILE!!!

    • david gorton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
        to all who go sucked into the hoax.

        How to repair damage from a hoax

        SULFNBK.EXE, a utility shipped as part of the Windows 98 operating
        system
        that allows users to restore long file names, and now the victim of a
        bogus
        virus warning. The hoax message urges users to search their systems
        for the
        presence of SULFNBK.EXE and, if found, delete it. Of course, it's a
        legitimate Win98 operating system file, so anyone running Windows 98
        will
        find it. And many, it seems, have deleted it. Following are the steps
        take to restore SULFNBK.EXE from your Windows 98 operating system CD.
        You
        will want to have your Windows 98 operating CD in the CD-ROM drive
        bay. If
        the program autoruns (launches), just click Exit.

        Windows 98 includes a handy tool known as the System File Checker
        which can
        be used to restore damaged or deleted files. To open SFC, click
        "Start" |
        "Run" and type "SFC" without the quotes. Click "OK". System File
        Checker
        will launch a dialogue box with two choices. Choose "Extract one file
        from
        installation disk".
        In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" box, type
        "sulfnbk.exe" (without the quotes). Click "Start".
        You will be prompted to specify the location that contains the file
        you want
        to extract and the destination directory for that file. You will need
        input the "Restore from" location and the "Save file in" location.
        "Restore from" will be the win98 folder on your Windows 98 operating
        system
        CD. It is easiest and most accurate to use the "Browse" button to
        locate and
        select the folder. The "Save file in" destination folder is the
        Windows
        directory and Command subdirectory. For example,
        C:\WIN98\COMMAND
        When both boxes have been filled in, click OK. You should receive a
        message
        stating "The file has been successfully extracted". Click OK and close
        any
        remaining SFC dialog boxes.
        One final note, if you're one of the unfortunate who purchased a
        computer
        that comes with the notorious "Restore CD" only, you probably will not
        be
        able to use that CD to restore the file (or install new hardware, or
        update/replace drivers, or do much of anything except restore your
        system to
        factory defaults). Contact your computer vendor and ask them to send
        you a
        true copy of the Windows 98 operating system that you purchased with
        your
        system. Oh... and good luck getting them to send it.

        Virus Hoax Information Page: http://www.stockhelp.net/virus.html

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
          for more information on the virus hoax...check out

          http://www.urbanlegends.com