First trip

  • sm04257@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2001
      Well I Finally got to take the first trip in the 73 Champion that I
      have been redoing.I went from Maine to Washington DC and it was
      great.The rig performed fantastic.I still have some things to do on
      the inside but I stopped long enough to take the trip.I will be
      putting up a webpage soon as I can with all the work that I have done
      with the help of my two best friends.I cant wait for the next trip to
      take. take care everyone
      Gene
    • Rob
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2004
        Hello folks,
        I just wanted to share our first trip with someone who could appreciate it.
        We bought a 78 Pace Arrow class A (27') last fall to live in while the new
        house was closing. After we moved in to the house (just before Halloween) I
        parked it. After a Thanksgiving visit where the RV found use as a guest
        room I drained the water system and it sat.

        I'd had a slow leak from the master cyl but bled the brakes and thought I
        was fine, I did start it up and ran into town to put gas & propane in it &
        changed the oil/filter when I got home. I figured it was ready.
        As a 'shakedown' cruse we took it to the ocean, 80 or 90 miles from
        here. It ran fine and after a few miles I was getting comfortable driving
        something that wide. We arrived at the campground by the beach and got a
        spot, backed it in and leveled it up. Plugged the power in, hooked up the
        sewer & the attached the water line. I turned on the water and went in to
        check for leaks. 2 weeks ago my daughter used it for her birthday sleep
        over, I saw the hose hooked up to it so I figured that was fine... while I
        was inside checking for leaks my son starts hollering about a leak outside!
        I go out to take a look and it looks like Niagara Falls towards the rear
        left corner.
        Seems that behind the toilet, inside a cabinet, under the rug there is a
        false floor board. After pulling up the floor board there are two drain
        valves attached to the PVC 1/2 inch water lines. One of them (the cold) is
        split, really split. Split as far back behind the tub/shower as I can
        reach. That line feeds the toilet too. I have a problem...
        I know my wife (who will drive out after work) really likes having a toilet
        inside, my two daughters like having a toilet inside & one has already let
        me know what she thinks of the campground women's facilities.
        I did some exploring while the kids went to the water and found the other
        end of the PVC pipes (I think) just inside the power cord door. Now if I
        cut and cap the cold water line I'll have water at the kitchen sink
        (coffee! Without going outside!) but no potty. I took a look inside and the
        hot water line seemed fine and it looked like I could move the toilet water
        line from the cold to the hot. Have water at the kitchen and a flush toilet!
        I walk into town (maybe a mile) and look for a hardware store. At the Ace I
        pick up some plastic pipe cutters ($12 & I have a pair at home but they
        work so much better than a hacksaw), glue, 2 1/2" caps. Then I see a
        threaded fitting so I bought that too plus a screw on cap. A dollar or so
        in pvc parts, more than I really need but they won't go bad and the travel
        time to town is the big expense. My plan now is to cap the leaky line at
        the power cord door with the threaded fitting & cap (threaded so I can fix
        it later), move the toilet hose to the hot pipe and be in business. If I
        have problems I have 2 more glue-on caps.
        After some tightening with pliers the screw on cap holds and that's
        (temporarily) taken care of.

        We picked a spot with cable so we could use the small tv we bought for the
        RV... that TV has been living in the kids room. Turns out without the
        remote you can't get to the menu and so we have just one channel, TBS. The
        remote is still home <g>.

        Everything else goes well.

        Sunday we go to leave. It won't start. We hook up jumper cables and nothing
        (but the batt is taking a charge)... After a good bit of trying this & that
        I pull the starter (this is a Chevy 454, easy to get the starter out) and
        find a large hole in the solenoid. It seems it's too close to the exhaust &
        there is no heat shield. After a phone call I head out to the town 20 miles
        away to get a starter, the wife & kids go back to the water. I find the
        auto parts store, spend my $40 and head back. I put it in and the rig starts!

        On the trip home I notice the amp meter goes to the discharge direction...
        sometimes. Other times it's neutral or to the plus side. Not good. It had
        been my intention to stop and fill it up with gas so I could see what kind
        of mileage I was getting, that's not my intention and more. All I want to
        do is get it home <g>.
        We made it, pulled into the drive & turned the key off then back on to see
        the amp gauge. There is a good sized discharge going on. I turned it off,
        took the key out and disconnected the battery.
        Something more to do...

        I figure I can snake a flexible water line around the tub/shower and
        replace the cold water line like that. Another threaded fitting on the
        drain valve side & the water will be back in business.
        For the electrical problem it looks like a loose wire really draining the
        system, I'll check on the starter first as i just had that out and it does
        have big wires going right to the battery. I also plan to take the v-belt
        off and see how the alternator feels when I spin it by hand.

        All in all for a first trip it could have gone better but it could have
        been much worse too. The weather was nice & we made it home <g>.

        Rob
        rob_b9@...

        The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan
        belt and a leaky tire.
      • Kathy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2004
          WOW what a trip!!! you 1st trip sounds like my 1st, 5th, 10th
          and then some!!!

          Hang in there... work the kinks out and your rig will get
          dependable really quick!!

          Kathy

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Rob <rob_b9@l...> wrote:
          > Hello folks,
          > I just wanted to share our first trip with someone who could
          appreciate it.

          <<snipped..>>
        • Sterling Voth
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2004
            John Muir the Volkswagen guy, (grandson of John Muir the naturalist of
            Yosemite fame) used to say in his Volkswagen Beetle repair manuals "VW
            Repair for the complete Idiot" was the title or something like that, that he
            often left home on the trip with a crapped out VW and arrived back home some
            weeks later with a rebuilt engine and the thing running beautifully. :-)
            Used to fix stuff as he went along as it came up. Side of the road or
            wherever.

            Sterling........