Re: [classicrv] power generator

  • Mike W.
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3 7:27 PM
      Doug,

      Money not a factor I'd get an Onan set up for rv use. They are the best in my opinion.

      Mike W.
      Latrobe, PA
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3 7:53 PM
        Hi Doug, I had answered your query once but for some reason it has
        never showed up.

        Your vintage Winnebago is set up for an Onan generator to slide right
        into the compartment. To run an A/C you will need a 2500 Watt
        generator at the very least. The most popular size in the Winnebago
        was probably the 4 kw.

        The MH generators are quieter running and made for the heavy duty
        use. The greatest problems with generators on motorhomes is that
        they don't get used enough.

        A portable generator would be a compromise that you probably would
        not be happy with in the long run.

        Regards, Bruce Raleigh, NC 1983 Wanderlodge 35FC-RB
        FMCA 7142s GoodSam ARS KI4ME
        Web: http://www.geocities.com/bamnc/mypage.html

      • ismo1us@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4 9:46 PM
          --- In classicrv@y..., junkyaeddog_2001@y... wrote:
          > just bought my first motorhome an 83 winnie brave it has all new
          > appliances air etc. but I have no generator should I buy one set up
          > for RV all wiring and gas lines are there, or get a honda portable
          > or equivalent doug nelson

          Doug, if you opt for a portable keep in mind that you don't want to
          compartment mount that with a fuel tank attached.Not to mention it
          would shake your teeth right out of your mouth.The Hondas are a fine
          portable but there is no substitute for a an rv generator for an rv.
          I have seen them all over the last 30 years of repairing rv's.Every
          one is leaning toward the Onan. Nothing wrong with that. I don't like
          their single cylinder Microlite series however. I'll take the the 2
          cyl emerald series every time. At this point in time if I had to
          replace the gen in my rv I would go with the twin cylinder Generac. I
          lived through the garbage they made in the mid 70's. However they
          have come a long way with a proven design.Easier to service than the
          Onan, both cylinders face outward with overhead valve design, they
          are quieter and one can get a 5.5kw for less than a 4kw Onan.So far
          everyone that had bought a Generac has been happy.Either one makes a
          fine rv generator but I think Onan has had their head in the sand too
          long and has not kept up.They are coming out with some new stuff now
          but I will wait to see them prove themselves first. I hope this has
          helped a little........... Ismo
        • Richard L. Van Baalen
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6 8:49 AM
            ... a very interesting question should also be considered as you are getting
            started; why even bother with a generator in the first place??

            I just recently went thru this thought process when the Onan 6.5KW on our
            '79 Itaska died (shortly after we bought it late last summer) and we were
            looking at a major (it took about $950 to get it fixed) repair bill. We
            are not into boondocking or full-timing; we go out on the weekends to parks
            and area attractions where there is always 30 and 50 AMP electrical service
            readily available. The refrig works on DC, AC and LP so things that need
            to be cold are just fine while we are in transit. Also when we bring the RV
            to the house (for clean-up and maintenance) I run it into a 15 AMP extension
            cord. The bottom line is that we REALLY felt that we didnt need the
            generator (for traditional RV stuff) in the first place.

            However we live in Florida where it can be darned ugly (heat and
            humidity-wise) in the summer months. When the previous owner had the 454
            engine out for a rebuild they didnt hook up the in-dash A/C back up. They
            would run the generator while in transit with the roof unit running. I
            don't know whether or not it was broke when they disconnected the in-dash,
            so I assumed that it wouldn't work if everything was reconnected. I did
            some checking with the local A/C shops and it was going to run $1000+ to
            rebuild the in-dash air conditioning. Because A/C is a requirement (unless
            we chose not to use the RV from May thru October - NOT!!) down here, we went
            ahead with the generator rebuild (based upon the fact that the cost to run
            the roof or in-dash A/C was a wash). If it had been cheaper to fix the
            in-dash A/C or if we lived in a cooler climate, we would not have even
            bothered with the generator.

            I mention this solely from a perspective of practicality, as you are
            probably where we were last year; the Itaska is our first RV and our only
            regret is that we cant get out enough due to family and work obligations.
            Do you really need a generator in the first place? One of the biggest
            problems with generators (as mentioned by someone else in this thread) is
            that they suffer from premature deaths (or a need for costly repairs like
            mine) from a lack of use. The money you would use for a generator (that may
            not get used that often) can finance alot of fun weekend trips; and
            memories; as well! In the end, if you can justify the need for a generator
            (which why we fixed ours), by all means go for it!!

            I would however recommend that you keep your eyes open for a decent
            second-hand one designed for RV use. There seemed to be several out there
            (in central Florida anyway) in the 4-6 KW capacity that could be had in the
            $900 - $1000 price range. It would be alot easier to deal with than a
            portable unit.

            --Rich and Joyce
            homebound again (... heavy sigh) for another weekend