Re: New member 73 Amigo

  • hetsel@swbell.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
      Thanks for the feedback.

      I am changing the cam. I am installing an RV grind, single profile,
      270 deg duration, 110 deg lob centers with .475" lift. This seems
      about the norm for towing low end torque for the 454. I have not had
      any heating problems with the 402. We travel in the Southwest in the
      summer in heats up to 115 deg and have not had any heating problems.
      We have had vapor lock problems because of fuel line routing, but no
      engine heating. I am towing a 89 Isuzu trooper. I do plan on going
      over all the cooling system. Any suggestion on fan options? I
      currently have the standard fan clutch.

    • jforb427@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
        Hi...that cam sounds just right.

        I run a standard clutch fan in my 55 Chevy, with a supercharged
        454...from what I've read and experienced, it's the best setup. The
        clutches do go bad after time, so they need to be replaced
        occasionally. There are two types, thermostatic and non-thermostatic,
        the thermostatic type (which has a little spring on the front) is
        better.

        Jim F in AZ