Re: [classicrv] Thanks for the warm welcome! next: wiring

  • Hippiety
    Message 1 of 38 , Feb 28, 2001
      Hi Jim -- I don't have any diagrams and from what I've been able to look at
      , most are not what would cover "YOUR" rig. What I have found with the
      majority of older RVs is to take one wire at a time,starting with DC, find
      what it does, how many times it's been spliced, if it's more than once,
      replace it completely or at least from as far as you can to get rid of the
      extra splices, sometimes a different route is better. Fuse boxes are cheep
      and mount them where they are easy to get to. One wire at a time and you
      won't get lost. Different colored wire can get expensive, its never the
      right length, use different colored tape, available at most electrical
      supply houses, then set up a system --red / blue -- green / yellow --ect.
      and make yourself a map. This may take a little time but it will be worth it
      in the end. A power converter, to me is a must, with a minimum 12.7 volts
      and 20 amp output also I would use "2" batteries, deep cycle Marine-RV, with
      an isolator switch, 1-2- both - and off. As for AC I do the same thing, in
      the breaker box, color code, i.e. yellow / blue = fridge. ect. - ect. I hope
      this helps and if I can be of any further help let me know. Tye -- AKA --
      Hippiety

      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 9, 2001
        On the subject of wiring repairs and modifications, here's what I usually do.
        All the butt connectors, eye terminals, etc I can find for 10-22 awg sizes
        are "solderless" crimp-type connectors. I usually remove the insulation
        (throw it away), crimp the wire in the connector, solder it, and put
        heat-shrink or black tape on it. I know it's a lot of trouble, but it makes
        me feel better about the connections.

        Tommy