Litres vs Liters

  • Wayne
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 27, 2001
      Okay, folks maybe I should have mentioned that
      even though this says Idaho at the bottom I am
      from Canada...and know the history of the metric
      system in Canada caused by P.E.T.

      Yes its true that when you purchase gas in Canada
      its sold in litres, which is termed liters in the U.S.

      However if you are doing the MPG calculation litres
      needs to be converted to gallons. As soon as you do
      this you have to remember that a Canadian or European
      gallon is bigger than an U.S Gallon.

      The imperial gallon originally from England, was converted
      to metric - which gives a number like 3.7 I believe gallons.
      However the U.S as I said because of the Boston Tea Party
      doesn't use imperial measure... (at least for gas).
      So the Imperial gallon is bigger than the U.S Gallon.

      Now I have just checked.... at least here they now are
      selling an Imperial Gallon or 1 metric litre of milk.
      Of course in most of the U.S. milk is sold in plastic jugs
      and not three litre bigs... but then again if I recall the
      bags in Ontario were actually 1.3 litres so once again we
      pay a little more for milk but are getting more than one gallon.

      Two countries originating from the same roots....and
      one party "The Boston Tea" has caused so many little
      differences, that usually go un-noticed.

      I am just happy to be in North America where we have the
      longest undefended border and two countries that might
      bicker about some of the little differences, but get along so
      well..

      Wayne Rowe
      Crystle Hot Springs & Resort
      Weiser, Idaho
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 27, 2001
        > I am just happy to be in North America where we have the
        > longest undefended border and two countries that might
        > bicker about some of the little differences, but get along so
        > well..

        I love Canada. I go once a year to fish.
        The country is absolutely beautiful and
        no litter at all!

        Mike W.
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 27, 2001
          Hi Wayne,
          I'll say this for Canada; They have cool nick names for their one and
          two dollar coins. Gotta love the "LOONIE" and the "TOONIE!"

          -Chris the trailer guy
        • lee thomas
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 28, 2001
            >I'll say this for Canada; They have cool nick names for their one and
            >two dollar coins. Gotta love the "LOONIE" and the "TOONIE!"
            >
            >-Chris the trailer guy

            Well, I like the Canuck language ... "go strange", "falling stones", "Texas
            gate", to name just a few.

            This is sent by a first generation citizen of this country who's family were
            Maple Leaves. So tell us, Wayne, where in Canada are you?

            Lee in ID

          • JIM ROGERS
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
              what in the world is a Texas gate the rest i know jim

              >>> sugar88888@... 02/28/01 05:06AM >>>

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
                Texas gate is a cattle guard. You will see road signs in Canada warning you
                that there is a Texas Gate ahead. LOL

                Lee

                >From: "JIM ROGERS" <jimr@...>
                >To: <classicrv@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: Re: [classicrv] Re: Litres vs Liters
                >Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 07:06:46 -0500
                >
                >what in the world is a Texas gate the rest i know jim

                > >I'll say this for Canada; They have cool nick names for their one and
                > >two dollar coins. Gotta love the "LOONIE" and the "TOONIE!"
                > >
                > >-Chris the trailer guy
                > >
                >Well, I like the Canuck language ... "go strange", "falling stones", "Texas
                >gate", to name just a few.
                >
                >This is sent by a first generation citizen of this country who's family
                >were
                >Maple Leaves. So tell us, Wayne, where in Canada are you?
                >
                >Lee in ID

              • JIM ROGERS
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
                  THANKS I MUST HAVE BEEN BLOND IN SOME OTHER LIFE JIM

                  >>> sugar88888@... 03/01/01 11:44AM >>>