Coleman Air Con

  • Peter Penwarden
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2014
      Hi, the roof mounted air con on my 92 Brave no longer cools too well. I removed the top and found no recharge point. I was thinking about a pierce valve and getting it recharged. In the meantime I had a 240 volt unit and fitted this, it's 240 in the UK. What's the procedure in the US for recharging?
      Thanks
      PeterP
       Bristol UK

    • Wncol2004
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2014
        Those roof units are sealed.  If it needs recharging, it has a leak.  I believe, but I'm not sure...that The freon also has a lubricant.  If it has leaked, the compressor can be damaged.
        You could be tossing $ at a money pit.  Cost less to replace the whole thing.

        That and finding someone that will service it is darn near impossible.

        Warren
        2014 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 HD Duramax Diesel dually (Sebastian)
        2014 Forest River Wildwood 30FKBS (Sabrina)
        Western KY

        On Aug 2, 2014, at 5:24 AM, "Peter Penwarden ppenwarden@... [classicrv]" <classicrv@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Hi, the roof mounted air con on my 92 Brave no longer cools too well. I removed the top and found no recharge point. I was thinking about a pierce valve and getting it recharged. In the meantime I had a 240 volt unit and fitted this, it's 240 in the UK. What's the procedure in the US for recharging?
        Thanks
        PeterP
         Bristol UK

      • red2dog45

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2014
            Did mine with a pierce fitting and standard auto a/c gauge set... worked fine and cost less than $40 for freon and fitting....

            I also did my home fridge 4 years ago and it has been working as new since....

            15 minute job and low cost to try before tossing that old unit, they are low pressure so any leak can take years to cause a problem again...i was told by a HVAC guy that most all a/c and fridges leak from the factory but last long enough to get out of the warranty period...true or not i dont know, but my fridge lasted 3 months past warranty date when i recharged it...and exceeded that time frame since i did...
          • Wncol2004
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2014
              I had a Coleman roof AC unit on a 1953 airstream, the roof AC was about 35 to 40 years old.  Had a metal cover not plastic. They stopped using metal about 35 years ago. An old RV tech that had been in the business almost 50 years told me that little bit of trivia.
              When it failed, I remove the shroud and found it had never been recharged, no port had ever been installed.  Yes mine ran low on freon but when it ran low, it also caused the compressor to lock up. So, it was toast. Had to buy a whole new unit.
              I think they no longer use R12 or R134 in the RV roof air units. Not sure when they switched but fairly sure it isn't either of those anymore.  So, before you add whatever you can get, you might want to find out if it is indeed the right stuff.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2014
                Which Freon type were you dealing with? Not sure about when things changed for window and RV A/C, and for residential refrigerators. Around 1994 automotive changed from R-12 to R-134a.

                ---In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <roadhse2@...> wrote :

                Did mine with a pierce fitting and standard auto a/c gauge set... worked fine and cost less than $40 for freon and fitting....

                I also did my home fridge 4 years ago and it has been working as new since....

                15 minute job and low cost to try before tossing that old unit, they are low pressure so any leak can take years to cause a problem again...i was told by a HVAC guy that most all a/c and fridges leak from the factory but last long enough to get out of the warranty period...true or not i dont know, but my fridge lasted 3 months past warranty date when i recharged it...and exceeded that time frame since i did...
              • JAS Yahoo