Oh, PHOOEY! Help! Polybutylene! AAHHHH!

  • Michael VanPelt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2014
      OK.  To recapitulate:

      I've got water in to the trailer, down to 35-40 PSI.  Everything's held for several weeks, cold water use only.  Pulled the old Atwood water heater out today.

      Put in an on-demand water-heater.  Worked just fine for washups, dishes, and CINDY's shower anyway.  BTW - here it is http://www.midlandhardware.com/845667.html?gclid=CM_Rka_Tr78CFQIIaQod3XgAdA .

      Right before MYshower, though, we popped a fitting - this http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/802779-genova-1-2-cpvc-mip-adapter.html .  The cement failed on the old-fashioned polybutylene pipe that I was assured the Oatey "everything" cement would fit to the fitting I used.  Good thing I included a hand valve right by the new heater.

      Is there a way to cement the CPVC adapter directly to the old Polybutylene? If not, what can I use to make a connection?  Is there a bayonet that I need to use instead?  Ideally, I want to come to a 1/2" braided faucet connector.

      Ideas?

      Mike
      Cindy & Mike VanPelt
       - Libby, Darcy, & Lucy
      Milwaukee, WI , USA

    • red2dog45
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2014
        If you do have polybutylene pipe it is not going to attach to another plastic fitting by using a solvent glue. Relative of polyethylene and polypropylene. Compression fittings, barbs with clamps, or welding. What do the other connections look like? If they are a glued slip connection, it is not polybutylene.

        RogerD

        ---In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <mvp1114@...> wrote :

[...]

      • david_edwards_raleigh
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2014
          I've used this connector on PB tubing many times over the years and it works great.
          SharkBite 1/2 in. Brass Push-Fit Polybutylene Conversion Coupling-U4008LFA at The Home Depot

          Just slip a short piece of cpvc in into the tan plastic ring clip and glue the other end into the MIP.

          This should work fine in your application.

          David

        • david_edwards_raleigh
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2014
            Mike,
            Try this fitting:

            Gray ring slips over the polybutylene, tan ring slips over a short piece of CPVC which is glued to the MIP.
            I have used many of these connectors to transition PB to PVC/ CPVC with no issues.

            Regards,
            David Edwards
          • Mike VanPelt
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2014

              Well, the solvent didn’t weld.  Makes sense now, polyBUTYLene isn’t polyPROPYLene . . . Live and learn.

              I was able to find a “semi”-retired plumber working at our local Menard’s (big box DIY store).  He had nothing good to say about the PB.  He recommended “quickconnects” that seem to be a lot like the gator or sharkbite – AND they are specifically rated for PB piping.  No tools – literally just push the tube into the hole until it bottoms out and clicks twice.  It is removable, too.  You can go from PB to copper, iron/brass, or CPVC depending upon what you want to do.  They even have specific inline shutoff valves, so I now have shutoffs.

              Can’t believe it was that easy – I was figuring I’d have to kluge up some kind of bayonet/hose clamp thing.  So far, no leaks . . . two days running, temp and pressure holding.  The only gripe I’ve got about this water heater is it’s only 2.5 gallons – but that’s enough to do dishes, or take an “RV” shower.  Seems to have about a 10-15 minute cycle time, and we’ve got COLD ground water and the heated water can actually be too hot for a shower, unmixed.

              Thanks, Kenn & David and everyone else – I wouldn’t have thought to look for something like these.

              Cindy & Mike VanPelt

              - Libby, Darcy, & Lucy

              Milwaukee, WI, USA