1977 Dodge Class C carburetor issues

  • Sirrobyn0
    Message 1 of 65 , May 8, 2014

      Ok I need to draw on the engine guys here to help me make a decision on the motorhome.  It is time for the carburetor to be rebuilt.  It acts just like there is a clogged passage in one of the idle circuits.  Currently it has the Holley 2210 2 barrel carburetor.  This is on a 1977 Dodge 360 in a class c motorhome.

      There are a couple other on going problems  that I want to address as well.  I have had problems with the motorhome vapor locking and also fuel percolating in the carburetor after having been shut off in warm weather, which has been an issue since the day I bought it back in 2000.  I have tried all sorts of stuff to fix these problems.  From insulating the fuel line to moving it away from the exhaust area, which has marginally helped.  The cooling system has been completely redone, new  4 core radiator, thermostat ect, so we are good there.   It is also in good tune with the timing set to spec, which I don’t remember off hand but it always gets set or at least checked at tune up time.  It has been suggested to me that blocking the exhaust cross over in the intake manifold would help with the percolation problem.   To be honest with you it is rather ridiculous this thing will percolate it’s fuel in 60F weather.  Shut the engine off come back 10 minutes later and I have to floor it and crank it over quite a bit to get it to fire up again.  Not to mention the smell of fuel in the air.

      The vapor locking isn’t as bad but it does happen from time to time at slow speeds such as stop and go driving in 80F+ temps.  It seems like it is a little worse if I am towing my trailer.

      So for the first question has anyone ever blocked the exhaust cross over in the intake manifold on one of these motorhome and if so how did you do it and what were the results?  Anyone think this is a good or bad idea?

      For the vapor lock situation I am thinking of going to an electric fuel pump mounted back by the gas tank.  I understand that pressurizing the fuel lines will make it harder for the fuel to boil.

      Third I need to make a decision about the carburetor.  I’m not really crazy about the 2210 Holley, though I have had that carburetor on other engines that was trouble free this one has been troublesome, and even though I have rebuilt it before it always acts like it is running a bit lean, and I have trouble with lean surge.  So I am thinking of going to a different carburetor.  I have been looking at the Holley 2300, which seems to be the most direct bolt on replacement available.  My other thought is going to an Edlebrock performer or AFB.  I have had those on a few engines in the past with good results and I have a factory cast iron 4 barrel intake for the 360 at home.   What do you guys think would be a good choice for a replacement carburetor?

      Thanks,

      Rob

    • red2dog45
      Message 65 of 65 , May 31, 2014
        Bring lots of ice!

        ---In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <sctknox@...> wrote :

        Years ago we used to race and we used a rig called a cool can.Basically   a fuel line heat sink in a can.Google it.