Finished '73 Starcraft Restomod - Maiden Voyage

  • peterj_iv
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 23 8:22 PM
      Finally, last month, the '73 StarCraft Starcruiser made it's ambitious maiden voyage across the country. From outside New Orleans, to Northern Nevada and back.

      So its been 6 years since my wife told me to "Either fix that thing or get rid of it", and I've posted pictures of the progress here for the past 6 years now and then.

      Now to qualify, it was her idea to buy it in the first place, and we used it for years with our young children in its wonderful green shag carpet, International Harvester 490 something engine, original condition. It was really fun, but lets be clear, that is a top heavy, under spec suspension vehicle that was pretty scary to drive.

      So the engine burned out just outside New Orleans headed to Christmas day Dinner. We limped home on 7 cylinders and were only a little late. In storage waiting for a verdict, she sacrificed her Onan Genset that I after hurricane Katrina when we needed it.

      Now.. its a robustly equipped unit that has proven to be a blast to drive and use..... as demonstrated on last months 4500 mile trip to Nevada and back for the Burningman festival.

      So have a look at the pictures, some have been posted since 2007 when I started the renovation.

      It's been fun planning and doing the work, but I'm ready to drive it around now.

      Specs --

      21 foot StarCraft Starcruiser Body.
      All glass taken apart and polished and eventually tinted
      Transplant to modern chassis - 2002 Workhorse with 8.1 Liter Chevy Vortec and Allison 6 speed Transmission. 19.5 Wheels. Donor chassis from a 42 footer 22,000 lb Tiffin.
      8 K fisher panda diesel genset with 40 gallon diesel tank
      58 gallon Gasoline tank
      40 gallons of water
      10 gallons grey that can pump into a 60 gallon Black tank
      6 Golf cart batterie with 3.5 k inverter
      2 Dometic 14,000 btu under chassis Ac units,
      4 captains chairs
      sofa bet
      12 foot overhead bunk
    • Jerry Boone
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 23 9:42 PM
        Beautiful. That's the only word that comes to mind.

        -- boone
        '89 Ultrastar 28'

        Once the game is over, the King and the pawn go back in the same box.
          - Italian Proverb

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 24 7:39 AM
          I have a few more words. Sore arms. Sore fingers. Sore knees. Missed meals. I am sure there are more, however, you should be very proud of the workmanship. Yes, it is beautiful.
          Larry, 72 Cortez in progress. Star Prairie, WI

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 29
              Well despite being finished with my Starcraft Starcruiser, projects go on. When I built this large garage workshop storage barn I never thought it would house my RV, but since I put the ACs under chassis, all I had to do was remove some of the Eave. Voila. Added picture to my album and I think this link is it too
              https://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1801991/or/188894860/name/image.jpg?token=kkV.MrGsL5Upy4Y0gNpsGMmJl4Po9uOB2s.WY_W49Q--&download=1
            • regal5575
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 31
                Nice job. The link worked and even though it is a snug fit, the coach looks good in there.  The only problem is: now I have a serious case of garage/workshop envy.
                JerryK