RE: [classicrv] Interior ceiling restoration

  • Wesley Furr
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2013
      I would just get a 1/4" plywood and spray paint it white...though of course that is probably a little easier said than done if you don't have the equipment to do it nicely.  Dad did that with his old trailer...worked fine.  He also screwed it in place so it could be easily removed if there were problems again in the future.  He also used 1/4 round (I think that's what it is called) molding against the walls, screwed it in too.  Then a thin 1" or so wide strip to cover the gap between panels...all painted the same color of white.

      I don't care for the vinyl coated stuff...if it leaks, it holds in the water and ruins things even worse.  Might not be nice to have a leak on your painted plywood, but at least you'll know it before everything rots out again.  Our old trailer I thought had old water damage at the upper front corners...turns out it was actively rotting and sopping wet...the vinyl coating hid that fact and I didn't know it.  Here's what it took to fix it - http://www.megley.com/photos/camperrepair

      Wesley

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 22, 2013

         We used plastic soffit material, taking the opportunity to add some insulation above (our rig was supposed to have 3" of spray foam but only had 1"). We got the soffit pieces free as the bf's brother had leftovers after building his house. We used rivets into the metal framing pieces and screws into the wood. Came out great; everyone who's seen it loves it.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 22, 2013

          Most used RV interior paneling was 1/8" lauan plywood with some type of vinyl facing, or wood lamination in better ones. Lauan used to be common, but concerns of severe tropical forest destruction mostly stopped sales (in the USA anyway). It was real common for residential interior doors and wall panels. Doubt they are even available now - mostly hardboard. Lauan is very light, which made it good for RV use.

          Lowes still lists lauan panels, and there is an alternate hardwood ply panel at Home Depot and Lowes. You can get paintable vinyl wallpaper but it seems to all be textured. Vinyl sheet is easy to come by.

          http://www.lowes.com/pd_95321-99899-95321_0__

          http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-8-In-x-4-Ft-x-8-Ft-Plywood-833096/100535208#.Uj8qJn_lfZk

          http://www.lowes.com/Search=vinyl+wallpaper?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=vinyl+wallpaper#!&N[]=0&N[]=1z10cpl