RE: [classicrv] Skype phone call

  • Wesley Furr
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 12, 2013
      I'm not an expert at Skype by any means, but I'm fairly certain it will just up whatever the available bandwidth is (up to a point)...so data usage for a 20-minute call would probably vary depending on connection speeds in the area you are in.  If it's 4G (assuming your device is capable and you are in a 4G service area), then it could be a decent chunk of data...from what little I've seen, 4G is pretty darn fast!

      But...I guess we should ask Google...

      And there are some folks here clarifying the above info - http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Video-Call-Data-Usage/td-p/706497

      Wesley

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 12, 2013

        Had forgotten that there are a few types of Internet services that have data caps. Satellite and some line-of-sight services sure do. Have not had a problem with streaming use limits with DSL or U-verse service.

        Would be hard to justify video conferencing with a mobile with that much data usage. Maybe back when there really were unlimited mobile data plans.

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <classicrv@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Some ISPs do , and cell carriers can charge for  data over 4g etc.

        If you're using a LTE laptop. tablet or netbook.

        To Jerry, , got this info from skype site.

        Here are examples of some typical Skype data usage:

        • Skype-to-Skype calls: 50kbps or around 3MB for one minute of calling
        • Calls to mobile numbers or landlines: 6-20 kbps or around 1MB for one minute of calling
        • Video calls between two mobile phone devices: 500kbps
        • Video calls between a mobile phone and a computer: 600kbps

        On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:44 PM, <red2dog45@...> wrote:

        Why are you concerned about  computer time or data transferred during the calls? I don't know of any Internet service that charges by connect time or data amount.   RogerD

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <classicrv@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Does anyone know how much computer time (megabytes or whatever) a 20 minute Skype call (with video) uses?
        Thanks
          JerryK