Re: [classicrv] Skype phone call

  • ez zinger
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 10, 2013
      Your explanation tells all..... You do have a low limit (IF) you do music and movie downloads... otherwise your monthly data rate should easily have enough room to do 10 hours of video calls in a month. Your smart phone should have a utility which will tell you where you stand on consumption through the month - or provide prior month information of this nature. Skype has excellent compression of data transmission.

      ~Eric

      Subject: Re: [classicrv] Skype phone call
      To: "classicrv@yahoogroups.com" <classicrv@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 7:54 PM

      You're
      correct Ed, my question is confusing. I should have said how
      much "cell phone data usage" would a 20 minute
      Skype video call from my home computer to my wife's
      cellphone generate.  I only have four Gigabytes of data
      usage on my cellphone plan.
      JerryK

      From: ez
      zinger <ezzinger@...>
      Date: Monday, September 9, 2013, 2:53 PM

      Does anyone know how much computer time (megabytes or

      whatever) a 20 minute Skype call (with video) uses?

      Thanks

        JerryK
    • Ted Kroll
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 11, 2013
        Todd, if whoever UR calling and U both have the IM by yahoo or Microsoft's, U can do the video calling type of thing for free.
        Ted
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 11, 2013
          yep, i like gmail for all that too.

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 12, 2013
            I'm not an expert at Skype by any means, but I'm fairly certain it will just up whatever the available bandwidth is (up to a point)...so data usage for a 20-minute call would probably vary depending on connection speeds in the area you are in.  If it's 4G (assuming your device is capable and you are in a 4G service area), then it could be a decent chunk of data...from what little I've seen, 4G is pretty darn fast!

            But...I guess we should ask Google...

            And there are some folks here clarifying the above info - http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Video-Call-Data-Usage/td-p/706497

            Wesley

            You're correct Ed, my question is confusing. I should have said how much "cell phone data usage" would a 20 minute Skype video call from my home computer to my wife's cellphone generate.  I only have four Gigabytes of data usage on my cellphone plan.
            JerryK
          • red2dog45