Skype phone call

  • regal5575
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 9 2:53 PM
      Does anyone know how much computer time (megabytes or whatever) a 20 minute Skype call (with video) uses?
      Thanks
        JerryK
    • ez zinger
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 9 4:05 PM
        Your question says "computer time" is your goal.

        There are several variables involved in analyzing & determining a whole number as an answer.
        What is your ISP connection speed?
        What browser does your computer use?
        What is your processor speed?
        How much ram memory is in use?
        What is the hard drive input/output data rate?
        How much data did you generate in this 20 minute video conversation?
        How many other programs & processes were in operation within your time frame?

        Can you re-phrase your question with a more specific description of your need?

        ~Eric

        Subject: [classicrv] Skype phone call
        To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 10 6:44 PM

          Why are you concerned about  computer time or data transferred during the calls? I don't know of any Internet service that charges by connect time or data amount.   RogerD

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <classicrv@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Does anyone know how much computer time (megabytes or whatever) a 20 minute Skype call (with video) uses?
          Thanks
            JerryK
        • Todd Barnard
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 10 7:04 PM
            Some ISPs do , and cell carriers can charge for  data over 4g etc.

            If you're using a LTE laptop. tablet or netbook.

            To Jerry, , got this info from skype site.

            Here are examples of some typical Skype data usage:

            • Skype-to-Skype calls: 50kbps or around 3MB for one minute of calling
            • Calls to mobile numbers or landlines: 6-20 kbps or around 1MB for one minute of calling
            • Video calls between two mobile phone devices: 500kbps
            • Video calls between a mobile phone and a computer: 600kbps

            On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:44 PM, <red2dog45@...> wrote:

            Why are you concerned about  computer time or data transferred during the calls? I don't know of any Internet service that charges by connect time or data amount.   RogerD

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <classicrv@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Does anyone know how much computer time (megabytes or whatever) a 20 minute Skype call (with video) uses?
            Thanks
              JerryK

          • Rob
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 10 7:18 PM
              My Millenicom account is limited to 20gb/month & two of us share it.

              Rob
              vwrobb@...

              At 9/10/2013 08:44 PM,red2dog45@... wrote:

              >Why are you concerned about computer time or data transferred
              >during the calls? I don't know of any Internet service that charges
              >by connect time or data amount. RogerD
              >
              >--- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <classicrv@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              >
              >Does anyone know how much computer time (megabytes or whatever) a 20
              >minute Skype call (with video) uses?
              >Thanks
              > JerryK
            • JerryK
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 10 7:46 PM
                My wife was up North visiting a friend of ours that doesn't have a computer.  My wife's cellphone (smartphone) has a Skype app. I was thinking of placing a Skype call to her from my home computer so I could say hello and see our friend too. We only have four gigs of data usage on our cell phone plan so I was wondering how much data would be used by a twenty minute video Skype call.
                JerryK

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 10 7:54 PM
                  You're correct Ed, my question is confusing. I should have said how much "cell phone data usage" would a 20 minute Skype video call from my home computer to my wife's cellphone generate.  I only have four Gigabytes of data usage on my cellphone plan.
                  JerryK

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 10 8:31 PM

                    To: "classicrv@yahoogroups.com" <classicrv@yahoogroups.com>

                    From: ez
                    zinger <ezzinger@...>

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 10 8:37 PM
                      Your explanation tells all..... You do have a low limit (IF) you do music and movie downloads... otherwise your monthly data rate should easily have enough room to do 10 hours of video calls in a month. Your smart phone should have a utility which will tell you where you stand on consumption through the month - or provide prior month information of this nature. Skype has excellent compression of data transmission.

                      ~Eric

                      To: "classicrv@yahoogroups.com" <classicrv@yahoogroups.com>

                      From: ez
                      zinger <ezzinger@...>

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 11 5:46 AM
                          yep, i like gmail for all that too.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 12 5:24 AM
                            I'm not an expert at Skype by any means, but I'm fairly certain it will just up whatever the available bandwidth is (up to a point)...so data usage for a 20-minute call would probably vary depending on connection speeds in the area you are in.  If it's 4G (assuming your device is capable and you are in a 4G service area), then it could be a decent chunk of data...from what little I've seen, 4G is pretty darn fast!

                            But...I guess we should ask Google...

                            And there are some folks here clarifying the above info - http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Video-Call-Data-Usage/td-p/706497

                            Wesley