regarding Wholesale Warranty

  • HMM
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013

      Wholesale warranty offered me a warranty with Protrek.  I was on the phone with them many times ironing out the details to be sure I understood exactly what the warranty was covering, the costs and options.  Then after I made my initial payment, to purchase the warranty, I was then told that my RV would need to be inspected.  OK, but I should have told up front.  Then the next day when I received the documents in my email, there was an "extended disclosure" sheet that I had not been previously told about but that I was to initial and return.

      Different from the Service Agreement, where it clearly states that I have 60 days to review the policy and cancel with a FULL refund, the Extended Disclosure sheet reads:

      "I acknowledge that an inspection has been done on my behalf to confirm that all mechanical components

      are in working order pursuant to the purchase of an extended service contract. Should I cancel this coverage,

      I understand that a $200 fee will be deducted from any refund due to me. This includes cancellation

      within the first 30 days of purchase."

      Jeff Shelton told me that the fee is to cover the cost of the inspection.

      Are all used RVs required to be inspected before acquiring a warranty with Wholesale Warranty?

      And IF SO, why was this cost not disclosed up front?

      Why does the big service agreement read differently, with no mention?

    • dusty titus
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013
        These people need to be reported to your local BBB (this is the old bait and switch) - Call your local District Attorney - make a report sue them to return your money - by no means sign or initial any documents - just make copies.

        Good Luck - hope the snow job will keep you warm this winter - when you think about it.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013
          When I hear something like this about a company my B.S. meter goes into alarm mode and the lights and sirens start up....
          I suspect it's those two famous words together again,,   "RIP" and "OFF"...  <VBG>

          I admit I have to idea who Wholesale Warranty are BUT my first instinct here would be to RUN away as fast as I could...
          Deep Freeze Dave

        • mrdwm1@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013
            In many states, the State Attorney General will have a consumer fraud
            section on their website, where you can file a formal complaint about scams like this. I have personally used this service successfully in California, Iowa, and one other place - might have been North Carolina, in connection with a home repair warranty scam. It took a few months, but at the end of that time I had the company owner in Iowa calling me in California, asking what he could do, and would I please "call off" the people I had complained to (I got a new double oven and water heater out of the deal). By the way, imho all aftermarket warranties are scams. Dave in Bako.

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "HMM" <aponic@...> wrote:

            > Wholesale warranty offered me a warranty with Protrek. I was on the phone with them many times ironing out the details to be sure I understood exactly what the warranty was covering, the costs and options. Then after I made my initial payment, to purchase the warranty, I was then told that my RV would need to be inspected. OK, but I should have told up front.
          • Warren
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2013
              Sounds like they are changing the terms of the agreement in the mid stream.  Might be time to bring in a lawyer before you move any further on this.

              On 9/4/2013 12:34 PM, HMM wrote:

[...]

              1995 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 PowerStroke Centurion conversion dually crew cab pickup (Sam)
            • Henry Blair Jr.
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 5, 2013
                Have I missed the problem here?  I have no idea who the extended warranty vendor is, but the person who is desiring the warranty can request a refund before the inspection and the refund would be in full.  If the motor home is poorly maintained, and the inspection shows this, it is certainly the right of the vendor to charge for the inspection.  To think that an extended warranty would be done without an inspection is unreasonable.  The addendum outlines a requirement not covered in the main agreement which may be specific to used motor homes.  This may allow the base agreement to be used for both new and used motor homes.

                Until the addendum is accepted, and the inspection requirement is accepted, there is no contract in force.  If the warranty company will not issue a full refund before the inspection, then there is a problem.  This position has not been documented.

                The $200 inspection could be a good value.  If this person has not had one done, it could reveal current and future issues.  If the buyer does not sign the addendum, there is probably probably a full refund.  No disclosure has been made to indicate otherwise.

                The problem here is the lack of disclosure, possibly inadvertent, of the inspection.  By saying the cost of the inspection would be deducted from any refund would discourage an applicant from misrepresentation of the property to be covered.  Seems like a reasonable position for both the vendor and buyer to me.

                Until the buyer of the contract is denied the return of the $200 before inspection, there does not seem to be any loss.  The addendum is a separate document and requires a separate acknowledgement and acceptance, it is not hidden in fine print.

                Until the buyer is denied $200 of the refund before inspection, the buyer has suffered no injury.  A regulatory agency, or BBB, would have to see damages before they even considered this as fraud.

                So far, this is not fraud.  I designed and sold fraud solutions to financial institutions for over 40 years.  This problem falls in the category of miscommunications, not fraud, until the $200 is withheld before inspection.

                Henry

                Henry K. Blair, Jr.
                603 South Walton Street
                Bethune, SC   29009-9032
                (770) 998-4897, Cell (803) 427-6986 NEW!!!
                henryblairjr@...