RE: Painting fiberglass?

  • red2dog45
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 1, 2013
      Would like to repair/replace the fiberglass front window cover in my 1976 Terry trailer. The outer side is very deteriorated, with the glass strands sticking out 3/4". Thought of just replacing the fiberglass panel, but it it is sandwiched between two aluminum frames pressed together with no way to separate them. Any ideas? --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, <cloudnine233@...> wrote: Painting fiberglass is EASY!

      PATIENCE!!

      I have painted many boats with one part paints - easier to repair an almost
      all of the longevity of the two parts. "Tip and Roll" method

      Fair the area with West Systems - sanded up to 220 slick, then primer (sand)
      and paint (couple of coats)

      - Use all products from the same manufacturer - thinners, etc - I use
      Interlux

      You can put a finish on a boat that will last 10 years in FL sun and survive
      hurricanes. as well as touch up with a small brush if needed. and shave in
      it.

      cid:1306005104.11102.0.camel@blue

      Angel & Stu

      ~~~~/)~~~~

      "It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to
      embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer
      meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in
      movement there is life, and in change there is power." Alan Cohen

      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 2, 2013
        Is it deteriorated all the way through, or just loose strands? If not all
        the way through, try running some sandpaper across it and see if it knocks
        off the loose ends and smoothes it out...if yes, tape off the aluminum and
        spray paint it to seal it back up again...

        Otherwise, you'll probably need to figure out a way to replace it...is it
        riveted together? Might just have to drill them out to get it replaced...

        Wesley

        Would like to repair/replace the fiberglass front window cover in my 1976
        Terry trailer. The outer side is very deteriorated, with the glass strands
        sticking out 3/4". Thought of just replacing the fiberglass panel, but
        it it is sandwiched between two aluminum frames pressed together with no way
        to separate them. Any ideas?
      • kb5drl

            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 2, 2013
              What would be wrong with painting it with a coat of fiberglass resin, sanding that a little and then painting it white or whatever color you want.
              JerryK

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 2, 2013
                *Yup, that would be even better, methinks cuz. I was fortunate, it wasn't
                all that bad, did a little sanding, cleaning with the cleaner, dried it,
                painted it and am proud it came out as good as it did, won't hesitate to
                recomend it to others. cuzzin dick*

                On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM, JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > What would be wrong with painting it with a coat of fiberglass resin,
                > sanding that a little and then painting it white or whatever color you want.
                > JerryK

                *Cuzzin Dick*