RE: [classicrv] Re: Painting fiberglass?

  • Stu Mitchell
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 30, 2013
      Painting fiberglass is EASY!

      PATIENCE!!

      I have painted many boats with one part paints - easier to repair an almost
      all of the longevity of the two parts. "Tip and Roll" method

      Fair the area with West Systems - sanded up to 220 slick, then primer (sand)
      and paint (couple of coats)

      - Use all products from the same manufacturer - thinners, etc - I use
      Interlux

      You can put a finish on a boat that will last 10 years in FL sun and survive
      hurricanes. as well as touch up with a small brush if needed. and shave in
      it.

      cid:1306005104.11102.0.camel@blue

      Angel & Stu

      ~~~~/)~~~~

      "It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to
      embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer
      meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in
      movement there is life, and in change there is power." Alan Cohen

        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 2, 2013
          Is it deteriorated all the way through, or just loose strands? If not all
          the way through, try running some sandpaper across it and see if it knocks
          off the loose ends and smoothes it out...if yes, tape off the aluminum and
          spray paint it to seal it back up again...

          Otherwise, you'll probably need to figure out a way to replace it...is it
          riveted together? Might just have to drill them out to get it replaced...

          Wesley

          Would like to repair/replace the fiberglass front window cover in my 1976
          Terry trailer. The outer side is very deteriorated, with the glass strands
          sticking out 3/4". Thought of just replacing the fiberglass panel, but
          it it is sandwiched between two aluminum frames pressed together with no way
          to separate them. Any ideas?
        • kb5drl

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 2, 2013
                What would be wrong with painting it with a coat of fiberglass resin, sanding that a little and then painting it white or whatever color you want.
                JerryK

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 2, 2013
                  *Yup, that would be even better, methinks cuz. I was fortunate, it wasn't
                  all that bad, did a little sanding, cleaning with the cleaner, dried it,
                  painted it and am proud it came out as good as it did, won't hesitate to
                  recomend it to others. cuzzin dick*

                  On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM, JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > What would be wrong with painting it with a coat of fiberglass resin,
                  > sanding that a little and then painting it white or whatever color you want.
                  > JerryK

                  *Cuzzin Dick*