Re: Painting fiberglass?

  • RogerD
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 22 1:59 PM
      You can apply marine finishes with a brush and/or roller or spray. Interlux seems to be the high end of these. Have also seen references to it used on fiberglass RV's. Here is their usage guide - ignore the varnishes and anti-fouling sections. Might need to use primer though.

      http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCentre/boat-painting-guide-usa-eng.pdf

      Gelcoat needs to be applied with a special sprayer which the marine shops may have. Others in this thread have recommended checking with them for advice. Automotive paints seem out for fiberglass work, and you would have to spray these.

      It would be good to know what the original finish was - likely gelcoat. One source that would know worked at now defunct Hi-Lo trailers, which were completely covered in fiberglass. They do complete restorations in the original Hi-Lo factory building.

      http://www.jrrepair.embarqspace.com/

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "D. Hammond" <dhammondtx@...> wrote:

      > We're on a very limited income, my husband used to be a commercial painter,
      > and our RV is 30 years old. That's why we want to paint it ourselves.
      > Gelcoat is probably the best solution, but we sure would like to change the
      > color.
      >
      > D. Hammond
      >

      > On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM, RogerD <red2dog45@...> wrote:
      >
      > > This is about an overall covering material condition, and not specifically
      > > a roof issue. Roofs are something else!
      > >
      > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "kb5drl" <dicktster@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Mornin, I just used rustoleuim marine paint and small 7" roller on my
      > > class B van roof
      > > >
      > > > , did great. Cuzzin dick

    • happytravelmaster
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 22 7:27 PM
        I had very good luck with 2-part epoxy marine resin paint. Had an old boat
        that had patched holes, and gelcoat finish was shot. 1. The marine paint
        was applied with a small sponge roller as the "color" coat. 2. Followed
        with 2 coats of clear epoxy with a sponge roller. 3. Followed by Poli-Glow
        boat finish to give it a shine and protect from UV rays. Of course any
        surface imperfections like "fiber-grain" and repairs do show.

        It was easy but an old Southwind would be much larger area than a runabout
        boat hull and front deck, especially with a 3 inch sponge roller. If the
        sidewalls are corrugated, that would be much more difficult with a roller
        than the flat finish of a boat hull. Even the cheapest air sprayer would
        be faster, but require a lot of masking.

        Considering that people are paying $15K for "full-body" paint jobs on new
        large Class A units, this DIY investment would be worthwhile for a 1983 that
        you do not expect to be a "show" vehicle at a Tin Can Tourists rally!

        Jim Hamilton

      • Bill Cathcart
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 26 7:12 AM
          Check out marine grade polyurethane paints - many of them are formulated for
          repainting fiberglass boats and some can be applied using a foam roller. If
          hubby has painting experience, he should be able to get a pretty decent job.
          As with all paint projects, preparation is the most important part of the
          job.

          Here is one reference, but a goggle seach will reveal more info:
          http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/boat-paint-varnish-finishing/painting_polyu
          rethanes.html

        • Stu Mitchell
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 30 10:21 AM
            Painting fiberglass is EASY!

            PATIENCE!!

            I have painted many boats with one part paints - easier to repair an almost
            all of the longevity of the two parts. "Tip and Roll" method

            Fair the area with West Systems - sanded up to 220 slick, then primer (sand)
            and paint (couple of coats)

            - Use all products from the same manufacturer - thinners, etc - I use
            Interlux

            You can put a finish on a boat that will last 10 years in FL sun and survive
            hurricanes. as well as touch up with a small brush if needed. and shave in
            it.

            cid:1306005104.11102.0.camel@blue

            Angel & Stu

            ~~~~/)~~~~

            "It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to
            embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer
            meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in
            movement there is life, and in change there is power." Alan Cohen

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 2, 2013
                Is it deteriorated all the way through, or just loose strands? If not all
                the way through, try running some sandpaper across it and see if it knocks
                off the loose ends and smoothes it out...if yes, tape off the aluminum and
                spray paint it to seal it back up again...

                Otherwise, you'll probably need to figure out a way to replace it...is it
                riveted together? Might just have to drill them out to get it replaced...

                Wesley

                Would like to repair/replace the fiberglass front window cover in my 1976
                Terry trailer. The outer side is very deteriorated, with the glass strands
                sticking out 3/4". Thought of just replacing the fiberglass panel, but
                it it is sandwiched between two aluminum frames pressed together with no way
                to separate them. Any ideas?
              • kb5drl

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 2, 2013
                      What would be wrong with painting it with a coat of fiberglass resin, sanding that a little and then painting it white or whatever color you want.
                      JerryK

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 2, 2013
                        *Yup, that would be even better, methinks cuz. I was fortunate, it wasn't
                        all that bad, did a little sanding, cleaning with the cleaner, dried it,
                        painted it and am proud it came out as good as it did, won't hesitate to
                        recomend it to others. cuzzin dick*

                        On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM, JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > What would be wrong with painting it with a coat of fiberglass resin,
                        > sanding that a little and then painting it white or whatever color you want.
                        > JerryK

                        *Cuzzin Dick*