Re: [classicrv] Re: Painting fiberglass?

  • D. Hammond
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 21, 2013
      We're on a very limited income, my husband used to be a commercial painter,
      and our RV is 30 years old. That's why we want to paint it ourselves.
      Gelcoat is probably the best solution, but we sure would like to change the
      color.

      D. Hammond

      On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM, RogerD <red2dog45@...> wrote:

      > This is about an overall covering material condition, and not specifically
      > a roof issue. Roofs are something else!
      >
      > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "kb5drl" <dicktster@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Mornin, I just used rustoleuim marine paint and small 7" roller on my
      > class B van roof
      > >
      > > , did great. Cuzzin dick
      > >

      > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "D. Hammond" <dhammondtx@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > What would you recommend for painting on our fiberglass exterior of our
      > > > 1983 Southwind? The surface is down to the actual fibers and something
      > > > needs to be done with it.
      > > >
      > > > D. Hammond

    • Wesley Furr
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 22, 2013
        Not sure how well that would work... With my dad's help (he's been spray
        painting in a cabinet shop for 35 years now), we repainted the front window
        cover on our last camper. Sanded the crap off and got it smooth, then spray
        painted it...I think it turned out pretty good. Not sure how that would
        work with rolling...I just wonder if it would tend to make the fibers stand
        back up and look bad and make for a rough surface. But...could be the
        sanding knocks them off and it wouldn't be an issue...

        Wesley

        We want to brush or roll the paint on ourselves...no access to a sprayer.

        D. Hammond
      • Jack SKP
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 22, 2013
          D.
          This may not be what you are
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 22, 2013
            D.
            This may not be the exact answer you are looking for, but I
            had my fiberglass boat refinished and it came out really
            nice. A boat shop did it and it was not out bad money. You
            could ask them about what they do.

            Jack

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 22, 2013
              You can apply marine finishes with a brush and/or roller or spray. Interlux seems to be the high end of these. Have also seen references to it used on fiberglass RV's. Here is their usage guide - ignore the varnishes and anti-fouling sections. Might need to use primer though.

              http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCentre/boat-painting-guide-usa-eng.pdf

              Gelcoat needs to be applied with a special sprayer which the marine shops may have. Others in this thread have recommended checking with them for advice. Automotive paints seem out for fiberglass work, and you would have to spray these.

              It would be good to know what the original finish was - likely gelcoat. One source that would know worked at now defunct Hi-Lo trailers, which were completely covered in fiberglass. They do complete restorations in the original Hi-Lo factory building.

              http://www.jrrepair.embarqspace.com/

              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "D. Hammond" <dhammondtx@...> wrote:

              > We're on a very limited income, my husband used to be a commercial painter,
              > and our RV is 30 years old. That's why we want to paint it ourselves.
              > Gelcoat is probably the best solution, but we sure would like to change the
              > color.
              >
              > D. Hammond
              >

              > On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM, RogerD <red2dog45@...> wrote:
              >
              > > This is about an overall covering material condition, and not specifically
              > > a roof issue. Roofs are something else!
              > >
              > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "kb5drl" <dicktster@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Mornin, I just used rustoleuim marine paint and small 7" roller on my
              > > class B van roof
              > > >
              > > > , did great. Cuzzin dick

            • happytravelmaster
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 22, 2013
                I had very good luck with 2-part epoxy marine resin paint. Had an old boat
                that had patched holes, and gelcoat finish was shot. 1. The marine paint
                was applied with a small sponge roller as the "color" coat. 2. Followed
                with 2 coats of clear epoxy with a sponge roller. 3. Followed by Poli-Glow
                boat finish to give it a shine and protect from UV rays. Of course any
                surface imperfections like "fiber-grain" and repairs do show.

                It was easy but an old Southwind would be much larger area than a runabout
                boat hull and front deck, especially with a 3 inch sponge roller. If the
                sidewalls are corrugated, that would be much more difficult with a roller
                than the flat finish of a boat hull. Even the cheapest air sprayer would
                be faster, but require a lot of masking.

                Considering that people are paying $15K for "full-body" paint jobs on new
                large Class A units, this DIY investment would be worthwhile for a 1983 that
                you do not expect to be a "show" vehicle at a Tin Can Tourists rally!

                Jim Hamilton

              • Bill Cathcart
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 26, 2013
                  Check out marine grade polyurethane paints - many of them are formulated for
                  repainting fiberglass boats and some can be applied using a foam roller. If
                  hubby has painting experience, he should be able to get a pretty decent job.
                  As with all paint projects, preparation is the most important part of the
                  job.

                  Here is one reference, but a goggle seach will reveal more info:
                  http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/boat-paint-varnish-finishing/painting_polyu
                  rethanes.html

                • Stu Mitchell
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 30, 2013
                    Painting fiberglass is EASY!

                    PATIENCE!!

                    I have painted many boats with one part paints - easier to repair an almost
                    all of the longevity of the two parts. "Tip and Roll" method

                    Fair the area with West Systems - sanded up to 220 slick, then primer (sand)
                    and paint (couple of coats)

                    - Use all products from the same manufacturer - thinners, etc - I use
                    Interlux

                    You can put a finish on a boat that will last 10 years in FL sun and survive
                    hurricanes. as well as touch up with a small brush if needed. and shave in
                    it.

                    cid:1306005104.11102.0.camel@blue

                    Angel & Stu

                    ~~~~/)~~~~

                    "It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to
                    embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer
                    meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in
                    movement there is life, and in change there is power." Alan Cohen

                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 2, 2013
                        Is it deteriorated all the way through, or just loose strands? If not all
                        the way through, try running some sandpaper across it and see if it knocks
                        off the loose ends and smoothes it out...if yes, tape off the aluminum and
                        spray paint it to seal it back up again...

                        Otherwise, you'll probably need to figure out a way to replace it...is it
                        riveted together? Might just have to drill them out to get it replaced...

                        Wesley

                        Would like to repair/replace the fiberglass front window cover in my 1976
                        Terry trailer. The outer side is very deteriorated, with the glass strands
                        sticking out 3/4". Thought of just replacing the fiberglass panel, but
                        it it is sandwiched between two aluminum frames pressed together with no way
                        to separate them. Any ideas?
                      • kb5drl

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 2, 2013
                              What would be wrong with painting it with a coat of fiberglass resin, sanding that a little and then painting it white or whatever color you want.
                              JerryK

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 2, 2013
                                *Yup, that would be even better, methinks cuz. I was fortunate, it wasn't
                                all that bad, did a little sanding, cleaning with the cleaner, dried it,
                                painted it and am proud it came out as good as it did, won't hesitate to
                                recomend it to others. cuzzin dick*

                                On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM, JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > What would be wrong with painting it with a coat of fiberglass resin,
                                > sanding that a little and then painting it white or whatever color you want.
                                > JerryK

                                *Cuzzin Dick*