Painting fiberglass?

  • D. Hammond
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 21, 2013
      What would you recommend for painting on our fiberglass exterior of our
      1983 Southwind? The surface is down to the actual fibers and something
      needs to be done with it.

      D. Hammond

    • kb5drl
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 21, 2013
        Mornin, I just used rustoleuim marine paint and small 7" roller on my class B van roof

        , did great. Cuzzin dick

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "D. Hammond" <dhammondtx@...> wrote:

        > What would you recommend for painting on our fiberglass exterior of our
        > 1983 Southwind? The surface is down to the actual fibers and something
        > needs to be done with it.
        >
        > D. Hammond

      • ez zinger
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 21, 2013
          I would propose that you consider clear coat re-spray.
          Two part resin paints are now common, go to local paint stores and get a referral to an auto body shop which uses two part resin paint custom tinted to their needs. You can go to that painter for appraisal & recommendations.

          ~Eric

          Subject: [classicrv] Painting fiberglass?
          To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 21, 2013
            We want to brush or roll the paint on ourselves...no access to a sprayer.

            D. Hammond

            On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 3:50 PM, ez zinger <ezzinger@...> wrote:

            > I would propose that you consider clear coat re-spray.
            > Two part resin paints are now common, go to local paint stores and get a
            > referral to an auto body shop which uses two part resin paint custom tinted
            > to their needs. You can go to that painter for appraisal & recommendations.
            >
            > ~Eric
            > On Wed, 8/21/13, D. Hammond <dhammondtx@...> wrote:
            >
            > Subject: [classicrv] Painting fiberglass?
            > To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
            > Date: Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 8:41 AM
            >
            > What would you recommend for painting
            > on our fiberglass exterior of our
            > 1983 Southwind? The surface is down to the actual
            > fibers and something
            > needs to be done with it.
            >
            > D. Hammond

            > classicrv-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • ez zinger
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 21, 2013
              I would not trust a soul other than an experienced painter who has used a product & technique you propose.
              I have seen the results of not doing this, it entailed hundreds of hours of sanding to correct ignoring good advice..

              Subject: Re: [classicrv] Painting fiberglass?
              To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 2:47 PM

              wrote:

              > I would propose that you consider clear coat re-spray.
              > Two part resin paints are now common, go to local paint
              stores and get a
              > referral to an auto body shop which uses two part resin
              paint custom tinted
              > to their needs.  You can go to that painter for
              appraisal & recommendations.

              >    ~Eric
              > On Wed, 8/21/13, D. Hammond <dhammondtx@...>
              wrote:

              >  Subject: [classicrv] Painting fiberglass?
              >  To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
              >  Date: Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 8:41 AM
              >
              >  What would you recommend for painting
              >  on our fiberglass exterior of our
              >  1983 Southwind?  The surface is down to the
              actual
              >  fibers and something
              >  needs to be done with it.
              >
              >  D. Hammond
              >

              >  [Non-text portions of this message have been
              removed]

              >      classicrv-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  classicrv-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
            • RogerD
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 21, 2013
                Had a similar problem with a fiberglass covered Hi-Lo trailer that had wear down to the fiber. No matter what the finish you need to first remove any mildew that attacked the fibers. Deck wash or TSP with bleach will do that. Some hand sanding could then be done to smooth out projecting fibers.

                Brushing or rolling is not going to look very good no matter what the finish. I would suggest just clear coat without tint to cover up the exposed fiber. That will be easiest and preserve any decals and stuff that would be near impossible to mask. Paint sprayers are readily available at tool rental places. Airless may work OK with clear coat, but air pressure types are better.

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 21, 2013
                  This is about an overall covering material condition, and not specifically a roof issue. Roofs are something else!

                  --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "kb5drl" <dicktster@...> wrote:

                  > Mornin, I just used rustoleuim marine paint and small 7" roller on my class B van roof
                  >
                  > , did great. Cuzzin dick
                  >

                  > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "D. Hammond" <dhammondtx@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > What would you recommend for painting on our fiberglass exterior of our
                  > > 1983 Southwind? The surface is down to the actual fibers and something
                  > > needs to be done with it.
                  > >
                  > > D. Hammond

                • D. Hammond
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 21, 2013
                    We're on a very limited income, my husband used to be a commercial painter,
                    and our RV is 30 years old. That's why we want to paint it ourselves.
                    Gelcoat is probably the best solution, but we sure would like to change the
                    color.

                    D. Hammond

                    On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM, RogerD <red2dog45@...> wrote:

                    > This is about an overall covering material condition, and not specifically
                    > a roof issue. Roofs are something else!
                    >
                    > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "kb5drl" <dicktster@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Mornin, I just used rustoleuim marine paint and small 7" roller on my
                    > class B van roof
                    > >
                    > > , did great. Cuzzin dick
                    > >

                    > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "D. Hammond" <dhammondtx@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > What would you recommend for painting on our fiberglass exterior of our
                    > > > 1983 Southwind? The surface is down to the actual fibers and something
                    > > > needs to be done with it.
                    > > >
                    > > > D. Hammond

                  • Wesley Furr
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 22, 2013
                      Not sure how well that would work... With my dad's help (he's been spray
                      painting in a cabinet shop for 35 years now), we repainted the front window
                      cover on our last camper. Sanded the crap off and got it smooth, then spray
                      painted it...I think it turned out pretty good. Not sure how that would
                      work with rolling...I just wonder if it would tend to make the fibers stand
                      back up and look bad and make for a rough surface. But...could be the
                      sanding knocks them off and it wouldn't be an issue...

                      Wesley

                      We want to brush or roll the paint on ourselves...no access to a sprayer.

                      D. Hammond
                    • Jack SKP
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 22, 2013
                        D.
                        This may not be what you are
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 22, 2013
                          D.
                          This may not be the exact answer you are looking for, but I
                          had my fiberglass boat refinished and it came out really
                          nice. A boat shop did it and it was not out bad money. You
                          could ask them about what they do.

                          Jack

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 22, 2013
                            You can apply marine finishes with a brush and/or roller or spray. Interlux seems to be the high end of these. Have also seen references to it used on fiberglass RV's. Here is their usage guide - ignore the varnishes and anti-fouling sections. Might need to use primer though.

                            http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCentre/boat-painting-guide-usa-eng.pdf

                            Gelcoat needs to be applied with a special sprayer which the marine shops may have. Others in this thread have recommended checking with them for advice. Automotive paints seem out for fiberglass work, and you would have to spray these.

                            It would be good to know what the original finish was - likely gelcoat. One source that would know worked at now defunct Hi-Lo trailers, which were completely covered in fiberglass. They do complete restorations in the original Hi-Lo factory building.

                            http://www.jrrepair.embarqspace.com/

                            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "D. Hammond" <dhammondtx@...> wrote:

                            > We're on a very limited income, my husband used to be a commercial painter,
                            > and our RV is 30 years old. That's why we want to paint it ourselves.
                            > Gelcoat is probably the best solution, but we sure would like to change the
                            > color.
                            >
                            > D. Hammond
                            >

                            > On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM, RogerD <red2dog45@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > This is about an overall covering material condition, and not specifically
                            > > a roof issue. Roofs are something else!
                            > >
                            > > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "kb5drl" <dicktster@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Mornin, I just used rustoleuim marine paint and small 7" roller on my
                            > > class B van roof
                            > > >
                            > > > , did great. Cuzzin dick

                          • happytravelmaster
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 22, 2013
                              I had very good luck with 2-part epoxy marine resin paint. Had an old boat
                              that had patched holes, and gelcoat finish was shot. 1. The marine paint
                              was applied with a small sponge roller as the "color" coat. 2. Followed
                              with 2 coats of clear epoxy with a sponge roller. 3. Followed by Poli-Glow
                              boat finish to give it a shine and protect from UV rays. Of course any
                              surface imperfections like "fiber-grain" and repairs do show.

                              It was easy but an old Southwind would be much larger area than a runabout
                              boat hull and front deck, especially with a 3 inch sponge roller. If the
                              sidewalls are corrugated, that would be much more difficult with a roller
                              than the flat finish of a boat hull. Even the cheapest air sprayer would
                              be faster, but require a lot of masking.

                              Considering that people are paying $15K for "full-body" paint jobs on new
                              large Class A units, this DIY investment would be worthwhile for a 1983 that
                              you do not expect to be a "show" vehicle at a Tin Can Tourists rally!

                              Jim Hamilton

                            • Bill Cathcart
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 26, 2013
                                Check out marine grade polyurethane paints - many of them are formulated for
                                repainting fiberglass boats and some can be applied using a foam roller. If
                                hubby has painting experience, he should be able to get a pretty decent job.
                                As with all paint projects, preparation is the most important part of the
                                job.

                                Here is one reference, but a goggle seach will reveal more info:
                                http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/boat-paint-varnish-finishing/painting_polyu
                                rethanes.html

                              • Stu Mitchell
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 30, 2013
                                  Painting fiberglass is EASY!

                                  PATIENCE!!

                                  I have painted many boats with one part paints - easier to repair an almost
                                  all of the longevity of the two parts. "Tip and Roll" method

                                  Fair the area with West Systems - sanded up to 220 slick, then primer (sand)
                                  and paint (couple of coats)

                                  - Use all products from the same manufacturer - thinners, etc - I use
                                  Interlux

                                  You can put a finish on a boat that will last 10 years in FL sun and survive
                                  hurricanes. as well as touch up with a small brush if needed. and shave in
                                  it.

                                  cid:1306005104.11102.0.camel@blue

                                  Angel & Stu

                                  ~~~~/)~~~~

                                  "It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to
                                  embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer
                                  meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in
                                  movement there is life, and in change there is power." Alan Cohen

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 2 6:18 AM
                                      Is it deteriorated all the way through, or just loose strands? If not all
                                      the way through, try running some sandpaper across it and see if it knocks
                                      off the loose ends and smoothes it out...if yes, tape off the aluminum and
                                      spray paint it to seal it back up again...

                                      Otherwise, you'll probably need to figure out a way to replace it...is it
                                      riveted together? Might just have to drill them out to get it replaced...

                                      Wesley

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 2 9:15 AM
                                            What would be wrong with painting it with a coat of fiberglass resin, sanding that a little and then painting it white or whatever color you want.
                                            JerryK

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 2 9:20 AM
                                              *Yup, that would be even better, methinks cuz. I was fortunate, it wasn't
                                              all that bad, did a little sanding, cleaning with the cleaner, dried it,
                                              painted it and am proud it came out as good as it did, won't hesitate to
                                              recomend it to others. cuzzin dick*

                                              On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM, JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:

                                              > **
                                              >

                                              > What would be wrong with painting it with a coat of fiberglass resin,
                                              > sanding that a little and then painting it white or whatever color you want.
                                              > JerryK

                                              *Cuzzin Dick*