318-Powered Motor Home

  • Bernard Pokorski
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
      Hi,

      From 1985-1997, I owned a 23-foot 1972 "Sightseer" Class A motor home that had a 318-2 barrel carbureted engine in it. The coach was on the Dodge M-300 chassis, with a solid beam front axle and parallel leaf springs.

      It had the 'industrial' version of the 318 engine in it, and I always considered it to be under-powered. I installed exhaust headers with 2-1/2-inch pipes running back into 2-1/2" turbo mufflers, an aluminum intake manifold and a 600 cfm Holley 4-barrel carburetor on it, hoping to increase its power...I experienced very little (if any) increase in power. I was still being passed by Volkswagen buses on the long hills.

      Looking back on it, I should have also put cylinder heads with bigger valves and ports in them, (like from a Dodge 360). According to the information that i have recently in a sales brochure (available on eBay) for the "Sightseer" , the coach came with the 318 as standard equipment, and there was an optional upgrade available to the 440 V-8. I bought my 'Sightseer' used, so I didn't have that option.

      As I recall, The coach had Chrysler 727 Torqueflite Automatic transmission in it, and a 4:56 gear ratio in the rear axle. Then again, I can't always rely on my aging memory.

      Would I buy another motor home with a 318 V-8 in it? Nope!

      Sent from my iPad
    • D Tracy
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
        *Mornin cuz, yeah, mine is an 89 extended hitop w/318, underpowered, yu
        bet, the hills and mountains around here tell the tale. Now the 318 v8 ,
        imho, is one of the best engines built, but, anything else is a sacrifice
        in mpg. I am building a enclosed trailor from a safari van and am a bit
        concerned about my 318 handling this load.
        cuzzin dick*

        --
        *Cuzzin Dick*
      • John Hartgerink
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
          Going to the 4barrel intake and carburetor was a good move. But you need to run the Holly 2stag power valve designed just for RV's,yu also need to do the second jet plate and not the metering plate  plus run the super stiff black spring for the vac spring for best mileage. I called Holley(20+ years ago) got the right 2 stag power valve and the jet sizes from them. I went up 2 jet sises to be safe and I got 18MPG on my E-300 van. They all work together to make the 4barrel get great mileage! The black spring will never give you full wide open--about 80to 90% at wide open. Last run a HD spring on the gas linkage and use a Vac. gauge to get best shift points and mileage.  The 18MPG was pulling a 2500lb trailer at 55mph.
          John

          ________________________________

          --
          *Cuzzin Dick*

        • RogerD
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
            Can't believe so much talk about underpowered 318 engines, as the
            RV's built on a Dodge chassis I remember from those years were usually a 360. Those were a slug on a hill even in a smaller Class B. Maybe a "left coast-right coast" thing? Western vehicles of all kinds had bigger engines compared to east. I couldn't believe seeing 1980's V6 Cameros in the east - never saw one in California!

            --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Bernard Pokorski <calchuck@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > From 1985-1997, I owned a 23-foot 1972 "Sightseer" Class A motor home that had a 318-2 barrel carbureted engine in it. The coach was on the Dodge M-300 chassis, with a solid beam front axle and parallel leaf springs.
            >
            > It had the 'industrial' version of the 318 engine in it, and I always considered it to be under-powered. I installed exhaust headers with 2-1/2-inch pipes running back into 2-1/2" turbo mufflers, an aluminum intake manifold and a 600 cfm Holley 4-barrel carburetor on it, hoping to increase its power...I experienced very little (if any) increase in power. I was still being passed by Volkswagen buses on the long hills.
            >
            > Looking back on it, I should have also put cylinder heads with bigger valves and ports in them, (like from a Dodge 360). According to the information that i have recently in a sales brochure (available on eBay) for the "Sightseer" , the coach came with the 318 as standard equipment, and there was an optional upgrade available to the 440 V-8. I bought my 'Sightseer' used, so I didn't have that option.
            >
            > As I recall, The coach had Chrysler 727 Torqueflite Automatic transmission in it, and a 4:56 gear ratio in the rear axle. Then again, I can't always rely on my aging memory.
            >
            > Would I buy another motor home with a 318 V-8 in it? Nope!
            >
            > Sent from my iPad

          • John Hartgerink
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
              this was up and down the hills in Arizona!

              ________________________________

              --
              *Cuzzin Dick*

            • Wncol2004
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
                They didn't make the m300 to go fast or get there quickly, but they did make it to run a long time.
                Yes, it was very under powered. I believe the 360 or 440 were much better options. But I believe they both used the same trans and differential. So, might have cost you about the same to just swap out the engine for a stock 440.

                1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                Sent from my iPad 2.

                On Aug 7, 2013, at 10:24 AM, Bernard Pokorski <calchuck@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > From 1985-1997, I owned a 23-foot 1972 "Sightseer" Class A motor home that had a 318-2 barrel carbureted engine in it. The coach was on the Dodge M-300 chassis, with a solid beam front axle and parallel leaf springs.
                >
                > It had the 'industrial' version of the 318 engine in it, and I always considered it to be under-powered. I installed exhaust headers with 2-1/2-inch pipes running back into 2-1/2" turbo mufflers, an aluminum intake manifold and a 600 cfm Holley 4-barrel carburetor on it, hoping to increase its power...I experienced very little (if any) increase in power. I was still being passed by Volkswagen buses on the long hills.
                >
                > Looking back on it, I should have also put cylinder heads with bigger valves and ports in them, (like from a Dodge 360). According to the information that i have recently in a sales brochure (available on eBay) for the "Sightseer" , the coach came with the 318 as standard equipment, and there was an optional upgrade available to the 440 V-8. I bought my 'Sightseer' used, so I didn't have that option.
                >
                > As I recall, The coach had Chrysler 727 Torqueflite Automatic transmission in it, and a 4:56 gear ratio in the rear axle. Then again, I can't always rely on my aging memory.
                >
                > Would I buy another motor home with a 318 V-8 in it? Nope!
                >
                > Sent from my iPad

              • John Hartgerink
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
                  Same trans--727 but the 360 would be only bolt in. 440 is a BB and has a different bell-housing pattern. If transmission is like new an adapter could be used. But it is better to use a 440 727 behind a 440. Speed parts can be used on almost any engine to get more Torque and mileage if you do it right!
                   I am looking at a '72-'73 D-20 Brave with the 318 engine right here in my town. I'll add a 4barrel intake, 550 or 600cfm Holley vac. secondary with dual jet plates,2stage power valve and the black vac. secondary spring to get better mileage and low end torque.I'll also run a small Phenolic swirl spacer to cut heat transfer to the carburetor and to help low end torque. I'll also add headers and dual exhaust with low restrictive mufflers for better flow. Last I'll run fresh cool air(with a good hi flow air cleaner) up into the carburetor from the front grill ,not the hot under hood air that it gets now, to improve mileage and cut out knocking from hot air! This will give me a good running engine and should make a big difference in the MPG it gets.  Down the line I may put a A-518/A618 transmission hybrid into it to improve the mileage. With the Cummings A-618 transmission parts to beef it up the A-518 will handle the Gross weight of the D-20
                  Brave(11,000pounds) just fine as it's rated for almost a ton more than that.
                  John

                  ________________________________
                  They didn't make the m300 to go fast or get there quickly, but they did make it to run a long time.
                  Yes, it was very under powered. I believe the 360 or 440 were much better options. But I believe they both used the same trans and differential. So, might have cost you about the same to just swap out the engine for a stock 440.

                  1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                  Sent from my iPad 2.

                  On Aug 7, 2013, at 10:24 AM, Bernard Pokorski <calchuck@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > From 1985-1997, I owned a 23-foot 1972 "Sightseer" Class A motor home that had a 318-2 barrel carbureted engine in it. The coach was on the Dodge M-300 chassis, with a solid beam front axle and parallel leaf springs.
                  >
                  > It had the 'industrial' version of the 318 engine in it, and I always considered it to be under-powered. I installed exhaust headers with 2-1/2-inch pipes running back into 2-1/2" turbo mufflers, an aluminum intake manifold and a 600 cfm Holley 4-barrel carburetor on it, hoping to increase its power...I experienced very little (if any) increase in power. I was still being passed by Volkswagen buses on the long hills.
                  >
                  > Looking back on it, I should have also put cylinder heads with bigger valves and ports in them, (like from a Dodge 360). According to the information that i have recently in a sales brochure (available on eBay) for the "Sightseer" , the coach came with the 318 as standard equipment, and there was an optional upgrade available to the 440 V-8. I bought my 'Sightseer' used, so I didn't have that option.
                  >
                  > As I recall, The coach had Chrysler 727 Torqueflite Automatic transmission in it, and a 4:56 gear ratio in the rear axle. Then again, I can't always rely on my aging memory.
                  >
                  > Would I buy another motor home with a 318 V-8 in it? Nope!
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPad

                • acuda4me
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
                    318 and 360 were small blocks and had a different trans bolt pattern. The 360 was a smog-era engine and out of the factory, pretty doggy. But the hop-up potential of either engine is there with either engine, as long as the coach is old enough or registered in an area where it doesn't have to be smogged. But for low-end torque a 440 or even a 400 would be a better choice, iMHO.

                    - Jeff Voth
                    Los Angeles

                    From: Wncol2004 <wncol2004@...>
                    Sender: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 13:05:17
                    To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com<classicrv@yahoogroups.com>

                    They didn't make the m300 to go fast or get there quickly, but they did make it to run a long time.
                    Yes, it was very under powered. I believe the 360 or 440 were much better options. But I believe they both used the same trans and differential. So, might have cost you about the same to just swap out the engine for a stock 440.

                    1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                    Sent from my iPad 2.

                    On Aug 7, 2013, at 10:24 AM, Bernard Pokorski <calchuck@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > From 1985-1997, I owned a 23-foot 1972 "Sightseer" Class A motor home that had a 318-2 barrel carbureted engine in it. The coach was on the Dodge M-300 chassis, with a solid beam front axle and parallel leaf springs.
                    >
                    > It had the 'industrial' version of the 318 engine in it, and I always considered it to be under-powered. I installed exhaust headers with 2-1/2-inch pipes running back into 2-1/2" turbo mufflers, an aluminum intake manifold and a 600 cfm Holley 4-barrel carburetor on it, hoping to increase its power...I experienced very little (if any) increase in power. I was still being passed by Volkswagen buses on the long hills.
                    >
                    > Looking back on it, I should have also put cylinder heads with bigger valves and ports in them, (like from a Dodge 360). According to the information that i have recently in a sales brochure (available on eBay) for the "Sightseer" , the coach came with the 318 as standard equipment, and there was an optional upgrade available to the 440 V-8. I bought my 'Sightseer' used, so I didn't have that option.
                    >
                    > As I recall, The coach had Chrysler 727 Torqueflite Automatic transmission in it, and a 4:56 gear ratio in the rear axle. Then again, I can't always rely on my aging memory.
                    >
                    > Would I buy another motor home with a 318 V-8 in it? Nope!
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPad

                  • Ted Kroll
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
                      How can the 360 be both a big block and a small block? I believe it is a small block!

                      From: Wncol2004 <wncol2004@...>
                      Sender: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 13:05:17
                      To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com<classicrv@yahoogroups.com>

                      They didn't make the m300 to go fast or get there quickly, but they did make it to run a long time.
                      Yes, it was very under powered. I believe the 360 or 440 were much better options. But I believe they both used the same trans and differential. So, might have cost you about the same to just swap out the engine for a stock 440.

                      1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                      Sent from my iPad 2.

                      On Aug 7, 2013, at 10:24 AM, Bernard Pokorski <calchuck@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > From 1985-1997, I owned a 23-foot 1972 "Sightseer" Class A motor home that had a 318-2 barrel carbureted engine in it. The coach was on the Dodge M-300 chassis, with a solid beam front axle and parallel leaf springs.
                      >
                      > It had the 'industrial' version of the 318 engine in it, and I always considered it to be under-powered. I installed exhaust headers with 2-1/2-inch pipes running back into 2-1/2" turbo mufflers, an aluminum intake manifold and a 600 cfm Holley 4-barrel carburetor on it, hoping to increase its power...I experienced very little (if any) increase in power. I was still being passed by Volkswagen buses on the long hills.
                      >
                      > Looking back on it, I should have also put cylinder heads with bigger valves and ports in them, (like from a Dodge 360). According to the information that i have recently in a sales brochure (available on eBay) for the "Sightseer" , the coach came with the 318 as standard equipment, and there was an optional upgrade available to the 440 V-8. I bought my 'Sightseer' used, so I didn't have that option.
                      >
                      > As I recall, The coach had Chrysler 727 Torqueflite Automatic transmission in it, and a 4:56 gear ratio in the rear axle. Then again, I can't always rely on my aging memory.
                      >
                      > Would I buy another motor home with a 318 V-8 in it? Nope!
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPad

                    • acuda4me
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
                        273-318-340-360 = small block
                        400-413-426-440 = big block

                        From: "Ted Kroll" <tedkroll@...>
                        Sender: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 17:33:43
                        To: <classicrv@yahoogroups.com>

                        From: Wncol2004 <wncol2004@...>
                        Sender: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 13:05:17
                        To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com<classicrv@yahoogroups.com>

                        They didn't make the m300 to go fast or get there quickly, but they did make it to run a long time.
                        Yes, it was very under powered. I believe the 360 or 440 were much better options. But I believe they both used the same trans and differential. So, might have cost you about the same to just swap out the engine for a stock 440.

                        1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                        Sent from my iPad 2.

                        On Aug 7, 2013, at 10:24 AM, Bernard Pokorski <calchuck@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > From 1985-1997, I owned a 23-foot 1972 "Sightseer" Class A motor home that had a 318-2 barrel carbureted engine in it. The coach was on the Dodge M-300 chassis, with a solid beam front axle and parallel leaf springs.
                        >
                        > It had the 'industrial' version of the 318 engine in it, and I always considered it to be under-powered. I installed exhaust headers with 2-1/2-inch pipes running back into 2-1/2" turbo mufflers, an aluminum intake manifold and a 600 cfm Holley 4-barrel carburetor on it, hoping to increase its power...I experienced very little (if any) increase in power. I was still being passed by Volkswagen buses on the long hills.
                        >
                        > Looking back on it, I should have also put cylinder heads with bigger valves and ports in them, (like from a Dodge 360). According to the information that i have recently in a sales brochure (available on eBay) for the "Sightseer" , the coach came with the 318 as standard equipment, and there was an optional upgrade available to the 440 V-8. I bought my 'Sightseer' used, so I didn't have that option.
                        >
                        > As I recall, The coach had Chrysler 727 Torqueflite Automatic transmission in it, and a 4:56 gear ratio in the rear axle. Then again, I can't always rely on my aging memory.
                        >
                        > Would I buy another motor home with a 318 V-8 in it? Nope!
                        >
                        > Sent from my iPad

                      • Wncol2004
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
                          I once test drove a brave with a 318. Engine was stock. Maybe needed a bit of tuning but...
                          It would not exceed 50 mph floored on flat land.
                          Yah, gutless. Far less than I had hoped for. Didn't buy it in part to that limitation.

                          On Aug 7, 2013, at 1:46 PM, John Hartgerink <johnhartgerink@...> wrote:

                          > Same trans--727 but the 360 would be only bolt in. 440 is a BB and has a different bell-housing pattern. If transmission is like new an adapter could be used. But it is better to use a 440 727 behind a 440. Speed parts can be used on almost any engine to get more Torque and mileage if you do it right!
                          > I am looking at a '72-'73 D-20 Brave with the 318 engine right here in my town. I'll add a 4barrel intake, 550 or 600cfm Holley vac. secondary with dual jet plates,2stage power valve and the black vac. secondary spring to get better mileage and low end torque.I'll also run a small Phenolic swirl spacer to cut heat transfer to the carburetor and to help low end torque. I'll also add headers and dual exhaust with low restrictive mufflers for better flow. Last I'll run fresh cool air(with a good hi flow air cleaner) up into the carburetor from the front grill ,not the hot under hood air that it gets now, to improve mileage and cut out knocking from hot air! This will give me a good running engine and should make a big difference in the MPG it gets. Down the line I may put a A-518/A618 transmission hybrid into it to improve the mileage. With the Cummings A-618 transmission parts to beef it up the A-518 will handle the Gross weight of the D-20
                          > Brave(11,000pounds) just fine as it's rated for almost a ton more than that.
                          > John
                          >
                          > ________________________________

                        • acuda4me
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
                            I wonder what one of those would do with a brandy new crate 360 dropped in it?

                            From: Wncol2004 <wncol2004@...>
                            Sender: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 19:26:48
                            To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com<classicrv@yahoogroups.com>

                            I once test drove a brave with a 318. Engine was stock. Maybe needed a bit of tuning but...
                            It would not exceed 50 mph floored on flat land.
                            Yah, gutless. Far less than I had hoped for. Didn't buy it in part to that limitation.

                            1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                            Sent from my iPad 2.

                            On Aug 7, 2013, at 1:46 PM, John Hartgerink <johnhartgerink@...> wrote:

                            > Same trans--727 but the 360 would be only bolt in. 440 is a BB and has a different bell-housing pattern. If transmission is like new an adapter could be used. But it is better to use a 440 727 behind a 440. Speed parts can be used on almost any engine to get more Torque and mileage if you do it right!
                            > I am looking at a '72-'73 D-20 Brave with the 318 engine right here in my town. I'll add a 4barrel intake, 550 or 600cfm Holley vac. secondary with dual jet plates,2stage power valve and the black vac. secondary spring to get better mileage and low end torque.I'll also run a small Phenolic swirl spacer to cut heat transfer to the carburetor and to help low end torque. I'll also add headers and dual exhaust with low restrictive mufflers for better flow. Last I'll run fresh cool air(with a good hi flow air cleaner) up into the carburetor from the front grill ,not the hot under hood air that it gets now, to improve mileage and cut out knocking from hot air! This will give me a good running engine and should make a big difference in the MPG it gets. Down the line I may put a A-518/A618 transmission hybrid into it to improve the mileage. With the Cummings A-618 transmission parts to beef it up the A-518 will handle the Gross weight of the D-20
                            > Brave(11,000pounds) just fine as it's rated for almost a ton more than that.
                            > John
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                          • RogerD
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
                              Good point about big blocks often being a much better choice in heavy vehicles. The problem with small blocks is under heavy load conditions like hills is you end up putting your foot into it a lot, and that get's into over rich conditions using the power circuits in the carb. Becomes even worse at high altitude when the carb runs richer and you need more spark advance. You need to advance the spark about 1 degree per 1000 ft. of altitude. Computer control and EFI changed all that. I have seen Chevy 454's get the same gas mileage in 30' a Class A as 350's got in 20' Class B...both at a miserable 12 MPG.

                              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Wncol2004 <wncol2004@...> wrote:

                              > They didn't make the m300 to go fast or get there quickly, but they did make it to run a long time.
                              > Yes, it was very under powered. I believe the 360 or 440 were much better options. But I believe they both used the same trans and differential. So, might have cost you about the same to just swap out the engine for a stock 440.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Warren
                              > 1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                              > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)
                              > Western KY
                              > Sent from my iPad 2.
                              >
                              > On Aug 7, 2013, at 10:24 AM, Bernard Pokorski <calchuck@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Hi,
                              > >
                              > > From 1985-1997, I owned a 23-foot 1972 "Sightseer" Class A motor home that had a 318-2 barrel carbureted engine in it. The coach was on the Dodge M-300 chassis, with a solid beam front axle and parallel leaf springs.
                              > >
                              > > It had the 'industrial' version of the 318 engine in it, and I always considered it to be under-powered. I installed exhaust headers with 2-1/2-inch pipes running back into 2-1/2" turbo mufflers, an aluminum intake manifold and a 600 cfm Holley 4-barrel carburetor on it, hoping to increase its power...I experienced very little (if any) increase in power. I was still being passed by Volkswagen buses on the long hills.
                              > >
                              > > Looking back on it, I should have also put cylinder heads with bigger valves and ports in them, (like from a Dodge 360). According to the information that i have recently in a sales brochure (available on eBay) for the "Sightseer" , the coach came with the 318 as standard equipment, and there was an optional upgrade available to the 440 V-8. I bought my 'Sightseer' used, so I didn't have that option.
                              > >
                              > > As I recall, The coach had Chrysler 727 Torqueflite Automatic transmission in it, and a 4:56 gear ratio in the rear axle. Then again, I can't always rely on my aging memory.
                              > >
                              > > Would I buy another motor home with a 318 V-8 in it? Nope!
                              > >
                              > > Sent from my iPad

                            • John Cargile
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
                                YES THERE IS A LOT OF DIFFERENCE IN OUT PUT HORSEPOWER IN THE 440'

                                THE 440 WAS ENGINE OF CHOICE IN EVERYONES POLICE PERSUIT CARS. THE WOULD LITERLY CAVE YOUR CHEST IN, (LIKE JET PLANES)

                                THE 440 WAS A BIG PART IN DODGE HAVING TO GIVE UP THEIR MOTOR HOME SUPERIORITY, ESCAPING BANKRUPTCY.

                                HOPE YOU MADE IT TO SALEM OK TODAY.

                                John Cargile
                                (PMCS) Premium Motor Carrier Services

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
                                  My point is hot rodders practically THROW away 318's and 400's, and they respond to the same hop-up parts as the more desirable 340 and 440. And in most cases, the same hop-up parts bolt right on.

                                  Jeff Voth
                                  Los Angeles

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
                                    Even in smog test horror California a 1975 or earlier vehicle is exempt. Put in a 360 or 440!

                                    --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Acuda4me@... wrote:

                                    > 318 and 360 were small blocks and had a different trans bolt pattern. The 360 was a smog-era engine and out of the factory, pretty doggy. But the hop-up potential of either engine is there with either engine, as long as the coach is old enough or registered in an area where it doesn't have to be smogged. But for low-end torque a 440 or even a 400 would be a better choice, iMHO.
                                    >
                                    > - Jeff Voth
                                    > Los Angeles

                                  • acuda4me
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
                                      Agreed, but a 360 needs to be "woken up" (as do some late-production 440s) as they were heavily de-tuned to meet emissions. But they both can be tuned to make good power. (Milage? Not so much.)

                                      Jeff Voth
                                      Los Angeles
                                      Sent on the Sprint� Now Network from my BlackBerry�

                                      Even in smog test horror California a 1975 or earlier vehicle is exempt. Put in a 360 or 440!

                                      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Acuda4me@... wrote:

                                      > 318 and 360 were small blocks and had a different trans bolt pattern. The 360 was a smog-era engine and out of the factory, pretty doggy. But the hop-up potential of either engine is there with either engine, as long as the coach is old enough or registered in an area where it doesn't have to be smogged. But for low-end torque a 440 or even a 400 would be a better choice, iMHO.
                                      >
                                      > - Jeff Voth
                                      > Los Angeles
                                      > Sent on the Sprint�� Now Network from my BlackBerry��

                                    • Jabba Truck
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
                                        400's haven't been throwaways for 20 years or more.  Not since it became well-established that their larger bores and lower decks (reduced weight) made them a better base for building a stroker motor than a 440.

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 7, 2013
                                          The de-tuned 440 can be woken up with a simple cam swap with new timing chain set. The lower compression will just help it run on regular gas and  with the right parts make great power plus very good mileage.
                                             The Brave I am looking at has a 318 and as I live in Illinois and will be using it for local trips to the race track (NHRA and NASCAR) and once a year to Oshkosh it will do for now.  If down the line when I deside to use it to go back and forth to Arizona each year when we snowbird it I'll build an engine and trans combo, I'll pick up a 360 and build a low compression 408 with a 518/618 Hi-bred Transmission. That combo with the right cam will make so much TORQUE and weigh a lot less than a 440. with a good intake and the Holley new fuel injection system I should get very good to great mileage.   I have built dozens of engines over the years and modified stock engines to get great mileage or to make big HP. But then I have been into performance engines for almost 40 years and learned from some of the best around my area.
                                          John

                                          ________________________________

                                          From: "RogerD" <red2dog45@...>
                                          Sender: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
                                          Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 03:40:09
                                          To: <classicrv@yahoogroups.com>

                                          Even in smog test horror California a 1975 or earlier vehicle is exempt. Put in a 360 or 440!

                                          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Acuda4me@... wrote:

                                          > 318 and 360 were small blocks and had a different trans bolt pattern. The 360 was a smog-era engine and out of the factory, pretty doggy. But the hop-up potential of either engine is there with either engine, as long as the coach is old enough or registered in an area where it doesn't have to be smogged. But for low-end torque a 440 or even a 400 would be a better choice, iMHO.
                                          >
                                          > - Jeff Voth
                                          > Los Angeles

                                        • Wncol2004
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 8, 2013
                                            Actually, 12 mpg for a 454 is GOOOD. They usually get about 5 to 8. :)

                                            On Aug 7, 2013, at 7:51 PM, "RogerD" <red2dog45@...> wrote:

                                            > Good point about big blocks often being a much better choice in heavy vehicles. The problem with small blocks is under heavy load conditions like hills is you end up putting your foot into it a lot, and that get's into over rich conditions using the power circuits in the carb. Becomes even worse at high altitude when the carb runs richer and you need more spark advance. You need to advance the spark about 1 degree per 1000 ft. of altitude. Computer control and EFI changed all that. I have seen Chevy 454's get the same gas mileage in 30' a Class A as 350's got in 20' Class B...both at a miserable 12 MPG.
                                            >
                                            > --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Wncol2004 <wncol2004@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > They didn't make the m300 to go fast or get there quickly, but they did make it to run a long time.
                                            > > Yes, it was very under powered. I believe the 360 or 440 were much better options. But I believe they both used the same trans and differential. So, might have cost you about the same to just swap out the engine for a stock 440.
                                            > >
                                            > > --
                                            > > Warren
                                            > > 1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                                            > > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)
                                            > > Western KY
                                            > > Sent from my iPad 2.
                                            > >
                                            > > On Aug 7, 2013, at 10:24 AM, Bernard Pokorski <calchuck@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > > Hi,
                                            > > >
                                            > > > From 1985-1997, I owned a 23-foot 1972 "Sightseer" Class A motor home that had a 318-2 barrel carbureted engine in it. The coach was on the Dodge M-300 chassis, with a solid beam front axle and parallel leaf springs.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > It had the 'industrial' version of the 318 engine in it, and I always considered it to be under-powered. I installed exhaust headers with 2-1/2-inch pipes running back into 2-1/2" turbo mufflers, an aluminum intake manifold and a 600 cfm Holley 4-barrel carburetor on it, hoping to increase its power...I experienced very little (if any) increase in power. I was still being passed by Volkswagen buses on the long hills.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Looking back on it, I should have also put cylinder heads with bigger valves and ports in them, (like from a Dodge 360). According to the information that i have recently in a sales brochure (available on eBay) for the "Sightseer" , the coach came with the 318 as standard equipment, and there was an optional upgrade available to the 440 V-8. I bought my 'Sightseer' used, so I didn't have that option.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > As I recall, The coach had Chrysler 727 Torqueflite Automatic transmission in it, and a 4:56 gear ratio in the rear axle. Then again, I can't always rely on my aging memory.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Would I buy another motor home with a 318 V-8 in it? Nope!
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Sent from my iPad

                                          • acuda4me
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Aug 8, 2013
                                              You are correct, Sir. I've always wanted to see what a properly set-up 318 would do in an RV both mileage and power-wise.

                                              - Jeff Voth
                                              Los Angeles

                                              Sent on the Sprint� Now Network from my BlackBerry�

                                              Even in smog test horror California a 1975 or earlier vehicle is exempt. Put in a 360 or 440!

                                              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Acuda4me@... wrote:

                                              > 318 and 360 were small blocks and had a different trans bolt pattern. The 360 was a smog-era engine and out of the factory, pretty doggy. But the hop-up potential of either engine is there with either engine, as long as the coach is old enough or registered in an area where it doesn't have to be smogged. But for low-end torque a 440 or even a 400 would be a better choice, iMHO.
                                              >
                                              > - Jeff Voth
                                              > Los Angeles
                                              > Sent on the Sprint�� Now Network from my BlackBerry��

                                            • mcolie
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Aug 8, 2013
                                                As a former aftermarkets supplier, if you are doing anything to a Mopar of that period, get hard seats put in the heads. About half the engines coming off the line had bad hardening at both Mound and Trenton plants.

                                                The LA engines did at one time come as both truck and passcar and actually had different RFB (rear face of block). I do know that in some of the Travcos built with 318, one could transplant a 413 with almost no problems. The later 440 truck motor was a solid piece, but still had valves for leaded fuel.

                                                Matt
                                              • acuda4me
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Aug 8, 2013
                                                  Only to guys who know enough to build their own. Personally, I'd like to build up a 318-Poly or 413 with some Max wedge stuff. I wonder if anyone has done a Hemi-Winnie?

                                                  From: Jabba Truck <jabbathetruck@...>
                                                  Sender: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
                                                  Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 21:56:30
                                                  To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com<classicrv@yahoogroups.com>

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Aug 8, 2013
                                                    Something needed to be tuned.  The 318-3 in my 13,000# Travco will push past 70 MPH on level ground and has been doing so for the last 75,000 miles although I usually travel at 63 MPH. The tranny is the original 727 with 150,000 miles on it.
                                                    JerryK

                                                    ________________________________
                                                    I once test drove a brave with a 318. Engine was stock. Maybe needed a bit of tuning but...
                                                    It would not exceed 50 mph floored on flat land.
                                                    Yah, gutless. Far less than I had hoped for. Didn't buy it in part to that limitation.

                                                    1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
                                                    Sent from my iPad 2.

                                                    On Aug 7, 2013, at 1:46 PM, John Hartgerink <johnhartgerink@...> wrote:

                                                    > Same trans--727 but the 360 would be only bolt in. 440 is a BB and has a different bell-housing pattern. If transmission is like new an adapter could be used. But it is better to use a 440 727 behind a 440. Speed parts can be used on almost any engine to get more Torque and mileage if you do it right!
                                                    > I am looking at a '72-'73 D-20 Brave with the 318 engine right here in my town. I'll add a 4barrel intake, 550 or 600cfm Holley vac. secondary with dual jet plates,2stage power valve and the black vac. secondary spring to get better mileage and low end torque.I'll also run a small Phenolic swirl spacer to cut heat transfer to the carburetor and to help low end torque. I'll also add headers and dual exhaust with low restrictive mufflers for better flow. Last I'll run fresh cool air(with a good hi flow air cleaner) up into the carburetor from the front grill ,not the hot under hood air that it gets now, to improve mileage and cut out knocking from hot air! This will give me a good running engine and should make a big difference in the MPG it gets. Down the line I may put a A-518/A618 transmission hybrid into it to improve the mileage. With the Cummings A-618 transmission parts to beef it up the A-518 will handle the Gross weight of the D-20
                                                    > Brave(11,000pounds) just fine as it's rated for almost a ton more than that.
                                                    > John
                                                    >
                                                    > ________________________________

                                                  • RogerD
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Aug 8, 2013
                                                      Why bother with a 318 poly when you could have the really fine 361 Poly? Lots of things here about the 440, but do many know there were many more B blocks than than the 413/440 that might be good RV engines?

                                                    • Wncol2004
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Aug 9, 2013
                                                        Figured it did need a bit of tuning but, it also showed me the owner didn't take care of it very well..who knows what else was in need of attention...probably expensive attention. Which at the time, I could not afford. He was asking a bit to high for its issues as well.
                                                        I have heard the 727 torqueflight transmission is one tough cookie. :)

                                                        On Aug 8, 2013, at 8:47 PM, JerryK <regal5575@...> wrote:

                                                        > Something needed to be tuned. The 318-3 in my 13,000# Travco will push past 70 MPH on level ground and has been doing so for the last 75,000 miles although I usually travel at 63 MPH. The tranny is the original 727 with 150,000 miles on it.
                                                        > JerryK
                                                        >
                                                        > ________________________________

                                                      • acuda4me
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Aug 9, 2013
                                                          I LIKE the way you think, but the 361 is getting looooooong in the tooth.

                                                        • RogerD
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Aug 10, 2013
                                                            My memory is goofed up - it is the 354 polyspherical (semi-hemi) that is so impressive. Only made in 1958 and the end of that block type (same as hemi). Only came in the Chrysler Saratoga, got 19 MPG road, and it's 310 HP made that big car really go. I think it was just as fast as my almost identical 1957 New Yorker with 392 hemi.

                                                            Yes, to old and rare to consider as a swap for an RV. Should be easy though as these used the 727 Torqueflite. I have seen a couple put into hot rods.

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Aug 10, 2013
                                                              Your memory my. Be fuzzy, I got your point, though. It might be FUN if you had the right, complete Poly or Hemi mill lying around and an enginless coach fell into your lap.

                                                            • donaroche@sbcglobal.net
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Aug 19, 2013
                                                                Drugf
                                                                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T