Re: tire switch

  • antiqbob
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 15, 2013
      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, carl Andersson <andersson.carl@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >     Has anyone switched there tires on a 1987 chevy small Rv?Mine came with 800X16.5 tires..

      Carl,
      Your problem is the 16.5 part.. What you need to do is to search thru your local wrecking yard for a set of 16 inch Chevy wheels. They were found on Stepvans, motorhomes, trucks. The 16 inch wheels and tires are available.
      My stepvan had 700X16 tires which then became 235X85X16 (which indicates a tire 8 ply or better) and I think have now been available as a 245X75X16... But you may have to check to see how many plys they are.

      The 16.5 are really getting scarce... As they have not been in production of quite a while.
      One of the obstacles is the distance inbetween the rear duals.. You need to have room between the dual tires.

      Good luck
      antiqbob
    • carl Andersson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013
        Thanks For your Help ! I did read that there are only a few years where the GMC/Chevy wheels will fit right after that they went metric?
        My RV is a 1987 Chevrolet chassis

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013
          If you can find 16.5 radials in the same size do it. the ride will be great.
          I did that on my 24' class c ford e 350.. and it was a world of difference. and I could keep the stock rims.
          Go to a commercial truck tire dealer. I used "Pomps" here in the upper midwest.
          They found 6 Fierstone 16.5s they were not easy to find but they are out there. And they will cost you , but the ride and confidence factor were worth it for me.

          Doug

        • Rob
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013
            My 87 Winnebago is on a P30 chassis & we have 16" tires.

            Rob
            vwrobb@...

            At 7/16/2013 07:14 AM,carl Andersson wrote:

            >Thanks For your Help ! I did read that there are only a few years
            >where the GMC/Chevy wheels will fit right after that they went metric?
            >My RV is a 1987 Chevrolet chassis
          • mcolie
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013
              Ron,

              This is a subject I know well.
              8.75RX16.5 are available, but the remaining US manufacturer is Firestone.

              I bought a set about 5 years ago, but I know that they still run them from time to time. Someone said that there are also Chinese Coopers out there, but I have never seen them.

              I have managed to get a complete set of 16 wheels for my coach and will be doing a 2 a year transition to 225-78*16E. Those two vary in rolling diameter. Collecting wheels was a long process for me.

              Matt

              --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, carl Andersson <andersson.carl@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >     Has anyone switched there tires on a 1987 chevy small Rv?Mine came with 800X16.5 tires and I am looking to put 8;75 x 16'5 tires on it.It has the dual rear wheels...curious if anyone has made this size change and if it creates any problems.The 8;75x 16.5 seem to be easier to find than the 800x16.5
              > Does anyone have any 800x 16.5 or 8;75X16.5? I need to retire my classic 87 RV ASAP
              >  Thanks,Ron Indian lake,NY 12842

            • carl Andersson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 17, 2013
                Thank You I think that is going to be the way to go