tire switch

  • carl Andersson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 14, 2013
      Hello,
          Has anyone switched there tires on a 1987 chevy small Rv?Mine came with 800X16.5 tires and I am looking to put 8;75 x 16'5 tires on it.It has the dual rear wheels...curious if anyone has made this size change and if it creates any problems.The 8;75x 16.5 seem to be easier to find than the 800x16.5
      Does anyone have any 800x 16.5 or 8;75X16.5? I need to retire my classic 87 RV ASAP
       Thanks,Ron Indian lake,NY 12842

    • Dave S.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 15, 2013
        Ron,
        Personally I would go to a local tire shop and ask them how much
        difference there is between the two sizes. IF there is a change in the
        overall diameter of the tire it will affect your speedometer, a change
        in the actualtread width may prevent the duals from mounting toi the hub
        properly if it is too drastic...
        It's been too long since I did any tire comparisons.. <VBG>
        Deep Freeze Dave.
        On 7/14/2013 7:31 PM, carl Andersson wrote:
        > Hello,
        > Has anyone switched there tires on a 1987 chevy small Rv?Mine came with 800X16.5 tires and I am looking to put 8;75 x 16'5 tires on it.It has the dual rear wheels...curious if anyone has made this size change and if it creates any problems.The 8;75x 16.5 seem to be easier to find than the 800x16.5
        > Does anyone have any 800x 16.5 or 8;75X16.5? I need to retire my classic 87 RV ASAP
        > Thanks,Ron Indian lake,NY 12842

        My Railroad picture pages are at
        www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
        Miscellaneous other pictures are at
        www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions1

      • r1j2nicky
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 15, 2013
          http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires

          Personally I would go to a local tire shop and ask them how much
          difference there is between the two sizes. IF there is a change in the
          overall diameter of the tire it will affect your speedometer, a change
          in the actualtread width may prevent the duals from mounting toi the hub
          properly if it is too drastic...
          It's been too long since I did any tire comparisons.. <VBG>
          Deep Freeze Dave.
          On 7/14/2013 7:31 PM, carl Andersson wrote:
          > Hello,
          > Has anyone switched there tires on a 1987 chevy small Rv?Mine came with 800X16.5 tires and I am looking to put 8;75 x 16'5 tires on it.It has the dual rear wheels...curious if anyone has made this size change and if it creates any problems.The 8;75x 16.5 seem to be easier to find than the 800x16.5
          > Does anyone have any 800x 16.5 or 8;75X16.5? I need to retire my classic 87 RV ASAP
          > Thanks,Ron Indian lake,NY 12842

          My Railroad picture pages are at
          www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
          Miscellaneous other pictures are at
          www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions1

        • Larry Annis
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 15, 2013
            If the tires are wider, they may rub together at the bulge on duals. That will wear the tires out very fast. It is also illegal by federal standards.

            Larry, Star Prairie, WI.

            ________________________________
                Has anyone switched there tires on a 1987 chevy small Rv?Mine came with 800X16.5 tires and I am looking to put 8;75 x 16'5 tires on it.It has the dual rear wheels...curious if anyone has made this size change and if it creates any problems.The 8;75x 16.5 seem to be easier to find than the 800x16.5
            Does anyone have any 800x 16.5 or 8;75X16.5? I need to retire my classic 87 RV ASAP
             Thanks,Ron Indian lake,NY 12842

          • Richard Dehne
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 15, 2013
              it works fine on my 76 jamboree ,
              been that way for 20 years, with no problems

            • antiqbob
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 15, 2013
                --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, carl Andersson <andersson.carl@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >     Has anyone switched there tires on a 1987 chevy small Rv?Mine came with 800X16.5 tires..

                Carl,
                Your problem is the 16.5 part.. What you need to do is to search thru your local wrecking yard for a set of 16 inch Chevy wheels. They were found on Stepvans, motorhomes, trucks. The 16 inch wheels and tires are available.
                My stepvan had 700X16 tires which then became 235X85X16 (which indicates a tire 8 ply or better) and I think have now been available as a 245X75X16... But you may have to check to see how many plys they are.

                The 16.5 are really getting scarce... As they have not been in production of quite a while.
                One of the obstacles is the distance inbetween the rear duals.. You need to have room between the dual tires.

                Good luck
                antiqbob
              • carl Andersson
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013
                  Thanks For your Help ! I did read that there are only a few years where the GMC/Chevy wheels will fit right after that they went metric?
                  My RV is a 1987 Chevrolet chassis

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013
                    If you can find 16.5 radials in the same size do it. the ride will be great.
                    I did that on my 24' class c ford e 350.. and it was a world of difference. and I could keep the stock rims.
                    Go to a commercial truck tire dealer. I used "Pomps" here in the upper midwest.
                    They found 6 Fierstone 16.5s they were not easy to find but they are out there. And they will cost you , but the ride and confidence factor were worth it for me.

                    Doug

                  • Rob
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013
                      My 87 Winnebago is on a P30 chassis & we have 16" tires.

                      Rob
                      vwrobb@...

                      At 7/16/2013 07:14 AM,carl Andersson wrote:

                      >Thanks For your Help ! I did read that there are only a few years
                      >where the GMC/Chevy wheels will fit right after that they went metric?
                      >My RV is a 1987 Chevrolet chassis
                    • mcolie
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 16, 2013
                        Ron,

                        This is a subject I know well.
                        8.75RX16.5 are available, but the remaining US manufacturer is Firestone.

                        I bought a set about 5 years ago, but I know that they still run them from time to time. Someone said that there are also Chinese Coopers out there, but I have never seen them.

                        I have managed to get a complete set of 16 wheels for my coach and will be doing a 2 a year transition to 225-78*16E. Those two vary in rolling diameter. Collecting wheels was a long process for me.

                        Matt

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 17, 2013
                          Thank You I think that is going to be the way to go