Re: [classicrv] Internal engine cover release - 1978 Econoline Holiday Rambler

  • Dave S.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
      There may be a couple of bolts through the cover and into the floor
      boards down at the lower edge between the seats, this is just a guess as
      I had a regular Ford Econoline van of about that vintage and that is how
      it was...
      Deep Freeze Dave
      On 6/22/2013 5:18 PM, orioneer wrote:
      > Okay, so I'm blind, or stupid.
      >
      > I've been trying on-and-off all day to open the internal engine cover.
      > No joy. Two clips, one on each side appear to hold it in place.
      >
      > But in fact, releasing those two clips does nothing I can discern. I
      > can't find any other release anywhere, but I know it opens because when
      > I bought it the guy pulled it off.
      >
      > I was about to take a burglar prybar to the bottom. Then I said to
      > myself, "No. Not yet. Ask someone."
      >
      > So here I am asking.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Jack Purcell

      My Railroad picture pages are at
      www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
      Miscellaneous other pictures are at
      www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions1

    • glen c
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
        Some have 4 clips...shag carpeting can make the two lower back ones hard to find. They also may have the 2 bolts instead about the same location. Just check all the way around at the bottom of the doghouse to floor connection, you'll find them.

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Dave S." <daslater@...> wrote:

        > There may be a couple of bolts through the cover and into the floor
        > boards down at the lower edge between the seats, this is just a guess as
        > I had a regular Ford Econoline van of about that vintage and that is how
        > it was...
        > Deep Freeze Dave
        > On 6/22/2013 5:18 PM, orioneer wrote:
        > > Okay, so I'm blind, or stupid.
        > >
        > > I've been trying on-and-off all day to open the internal engine cover.
        > > No joy. Two clips, one on each side appear to hold it in place.
        > >
        > > But in fact, releasing those two clips does nothing I can discern. I
        > > can't find any other release anywhere, but I know it opens because when
        > > I bought it the guy pulled it off.
        > >
        > > I was about to take a burglar prybar to the bottom. Then I said to
        > > myself, "No. Not yet. Ask someone."
        > >
        > > So here I am asking.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance.
        > >
        > > Jack Purcell

        > --
        > My Railroad picture pages are at
        > www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
        > Miscellaneous other pictures are at
        > www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions1

      • Ted Kroll
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 23, 2013
          Jack I had one once that had 2 big bolts from under the hood which stayed in the firewall and screwed into floating nuts on the face of the engine cover to pull it tight against the firewall

          Ted

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 23, 2013
            There should be 2 strap connectors that are visible on the firewall side of the cover on top .just pull toward the cabin and they open, And there are 2 fasteners that are under the floor covering (carpet or rubber mat) These are usually large flat head screws . That is all that holds the cover , unless someone added their personal touch.

            Doug