Internal engine cover release - 1978 Econoline Holiday Rambler

  • orioneer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
      Okay, so I'm blind, or stupid.

      I've been trying on-and-off all day to open the internal engine cover.
      No joy. Two clips, one on each side appear to hold it in place.

      But in fact, releasing those two clips does nothing I can discern. I
      can't find any other release anywhere, but I know it opens because when
      I bought it the guy pulled it off.

      I was about to take a burglar prybar to the bottom. Then I said to
      myself, "No. Not yet. Ask someone."

      So here I am asking.

      Thanks in advance.

      Jack Purcell
    • Dave S.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
        There may be a couple of bolts through the cover and into the floor
        boards down at the lower edge between the seats, this is just a guess as
        I had a regular Ford Econoline van of about that vintage and that is how
        it was...
        Deep Freeze Dave
        On 6/22/2013 5:18 PM, orioneer wrote:
        > Okay, so I'm blind, or stupid.
        >
        > I've been trying on-and-off all day to open the internal engine cover.
        > No joy. Two clips, one on each side appear to hold it in place.
        >
        > But in fact, releasing those two clips does nothing I can discern. I
        > can't find any other release anywhere, but I know it opens because when
        > I bought it the guy pulled it off.
        >
        > I was about to take a burglar prybar to the bottom. Then I said to
        > myself, "No. Not yet. Ask someone."
        >
        > So here I am asking.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Jack Purcell

        My Railroad picture pages are at
        www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
        Miscellaneous other pictures are at
        www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions1

      • glen c
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
          Some have 4 clips...shag carpeting can make the two lower back ones hard to find. They also may have the 2 bolts instead about the same location. Just check all the way around at the bottom of the doghouse to floor connection, you'll find them.

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "Dave S." <daslater@...> wrote:

          > There may be a couple of bolts through the cover and into the floor
          > boards down at the lower edge between the seats, this is just a guess as
          > I had a regular Ford Econoline van of about that vintage and that is how
          > it was...
          > Deep Freeze Dave
          > On 6/22/2013 5:18 PM, orioneer wrote:
          > > Okay, so I'm blind, or stupid.
          > >
          > > I've been trying on-and-off all day to open the internal engine cover.
          > > No joy. Two clips, one on each side appear to hold it in place.
          > >
          > > But in fact, releasing those two clips does nothing I can discern. I
          > > can't find any other release anywhere, but I know it opens because when
          > > I bought it the guy pulled it off.
          > >
          > > I was about to take a burglar prybar to the bottom. Then I said to
          > > myself, "No. Not yet. Ask someone."
          > >
          > > So here I am asking.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance.
          > >
          > > Jack Purcell

          > --
          > My Railroad picture pages are at
          > www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions
          > Miscellaneous other pictures are at
          > www.flickr.com/photos/des-productions1

        • Ted Kroll
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 23, 2013
            Jack I had one once that had 2 big bolts from under the hood which stayed in the firewall and screwed into floating nuts on the face of the engine cover to pull it tight against the firewall

            Ted

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 23, 2013
              There should be 2 strap connectors that are visible on the firewall side of the cover on top .just pull toward the cabin and they open, And there are 2 fasteners that are under the floor covering (carpet or rubber mat) These are usually large flat head screws . That is all that holds the cover , unless someone added their personal touch.

              Doug