Re: 1976 pawnee

  • RogerD
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
      Do you know if the converter has a charging circuit, as not all of the older ones did. Saw it was an option on some models made by Converter Systems Inc. Should have dedicated charging wires, and maybe a separate 12V fuse. Ones without a charging circuit use the vehicle engine charging system. My 1976 Terry trailer doesn't even have a power converter! It is static in a park and I have to manually charge the battery... fortunately it is not used much on 12V.

      If it has a charging circuit, does it work? Disconnect the battery cables and measure across them with a volt meter (DMM).

      Is the battery able to be charged? If you have a working charging circuit, try to charge the battery with an external charger.

      If both of these tests are OK, the next place to suspect is the battery-transformer switch, which will likely be in the converter enclosure. This chooses which power source will feed the coach 12V distribution circuits. It may be manual, or it may be a relay. If manual put it in the Battery position. If a relay, it is likely powered by 120V to automatically switch over to the converter 12V output when plugged in to 120V. If not plugged in it switches to battery source. You should hear a click when this happens. You could cycle the power source by switching on-off the converter main breaker, but that might mask the sound of the relay when this happens. Maybe too risky to touch the relay cover to detect the click as it has 120V wired to it. Be VERY careful when working around live 120V parts of the converter, and use nothing conductive!