Re: 1978 Holiday Rambler - Econoline chassis

  • RogerD
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 20 10:49 AM
      Bill - Saw a statement from a Johnson Controls person on another RV forum that their battery manufacturing specifications did vary by customer, but they will not give details. That may be reflected by retail price, but you don't always know. EverStart Maxx at Walmart compares to DieHard Gold, with only about a $15 price difference.

      Worst offender for overpricing is Interstate no matter where they are sold. They really stick it to you in more remote places where you can't get other top brands. Especially on things like lawn tractor batteries which are double the price of Walmart. Same specs - same manufacturer. The warranties on these are poor because people kill them by not maintaining charge in the off season...much like Marine and RV batteries.

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Bill Miller <mainiac1946@...> wrote:

      > Actually Jack, you are partially correct.Die Hard batteries are made by Johnson Controls. The same people make 80% of all the batteries. They make batteries for Wal-Mart  right alongside of the Die Hard made for SEARS.
      >
      > mainiac bill
      >

      > ________________________________

    • orioneer
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 22 4:11 PM
        Wilf Blakey: I tried sending you an email back to thank you for the info about the alternator etc, but it came back undeliverable. So thanks right out here where everyone can see. Gracias, amigo. Jack

      • Garry Foster
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 22 4:51 PM
          Warren I have owned 5 motor homes and never seen one wired as your talking about. Always charge house battery from main alternator via an isolator or relay. Same a trailer charging battery from battery line.

          Garry

          Sent from Garry's iPhone

          On Jun 16, 2013, at 9:36 PM, Wncol2004 <wncol2004@...> wrote:

          > My experience in motorhomes in general..which is quite limited.
          > Is the coach battery is Not charged by the alternator unless you flip the switch that joins the two batteries (coach and chassis) together. This switch also will allow both batteries to be charged by the converter and or generator. Issue is the batteries are of a different type (chassis is an automotive battery and coach is a deep cycle) and should not be connected together for very long. Basically just long enough to either start the gen or start the motorhome engine.
          >
          > --
          > Warren
          > 1995 Ford F-350 Centurion 7.3 power stroke diesel dually (Sam).
          > 1953 Airstream Cruiser Travel trailer (The Runaway Sue)
          > Western KY
          > Sent from my iPad 2.
          >
          > On Jun 16, 2013, at 8:25 PM, Robert Mitchell <mitch_bob@...> wrote:
          >
          > > My experience is that the battery is charged primarily by the drive engine alternator.
          > > #2 the described object sounds like the device to reverse the lock on an awning.

        • Wncol2004
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 22 6:18 PM
            I saw one early 70s that I almost purchased that needed a switch flipped. But it could also be the isolator had failed. It was old and in need of some TLC.