Re: RV coach deep cycle batteries

  • orioneer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
      Good suggestion Warren. I'm obliged. I had no idea they make 12 volt
      golf cart batteries. And the forklift idea's one I'd have never thought
      of. Back during my battery warehouse days I did rebuild a good many
      locomotive batteries and various ones for other heavy equipment, but
      frequently the voltage wasn't confined to 6 and 12 volts.

      I haven't looked at industrial/heavy equipment batteries in 50 years,
      but it might be they still build them with the tar sealing the top
      instead of the one-piece smooth covers. Those big ones were so
      expensive it was worth it to the companies to rebuild them rather than
      replace them if all that was wrong was a melted strap between the cells,
      or a short in one of the cells.

      Thanks a bunch. Jack

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Warren wrote:

      > I can understand the bare metal budget thing. My 1953 Airstream
      remodel was
      > a very tight budget job.
      >

      > Keep in mind they do manufacturer 12 volt deep cycle batteries (not
      > referring to marine) which might fit your spot better.
      > You might be able to find a 12 volt deep cycle at an electric tow
      motor
      > (fork lift) repair shop and they basically do exactly what you say.
      One