Re: [classicrv] RV coach deep cycle batteries

  • Warren
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
      I can understand the bare metal budget thing. My 1953 Airstream remodel was
      a very tight budget job.

      Keep in mind they do manufacturer 12 volt deep cycle batteries (not
      referring to marine) which might fit your spot better.
      You might be able to find a 12 volt deep cycle at an electric tow motor
      (fork lift) repair shop and they basically do exactly what you say. One
      goes bad they replace the whole pack. I have even seen a few 12 volt golf
      cart batteries.
      Might even find used batteries for the price of the lead in them rather
      than just used battery price. Might save you even a few more bucks that way.

      When I was looking for batteries, The office where I work uses various
      Uninterrupted Power Supplies that use small 12 volt 18 AH deep cycle
      batteries. We changed out several battery packs of which only one battery
      actually went bad. The others were old enough to take out of service but,
      when I connected 8 of those used batteries together in parallel. I got
      about 120 AH capacity. Worked just fine for a few years as long as I didn't
      use em up to fast. Over the next 2 years they started failing one at a
      time. It got me through till the budget could purchase new deep cycle golf
      cart batteries. :)

      On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 6:33 AM, orioneer <JosephusMinimus@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Someone mentioned on the 1978 Holiday Rambler thread that RV batteries
      > might be worth of a thread by itself. Since I wanted to get some more
      > views on batteries I'm starting the thread.
      >
      > I haven't done any measuring down there to get an idea whether a golf
      > cart pair would fit, but will probably settle for a marine hybrid for a
      > quick fix. Buying the RV and getting the tag and registration set up
      > in Texas brought me down to bare metal financially, so I am going to
      > have to cut come corners, anyway.
      >
      > 1966 - 1967 I worked in a battery warehouse in Houston rebuilding and
      > restoring batteries back when they had tar sealing the tops and the
      > straps between the cells could be cut, all the plates and separaters
      > lifted out and replaced, etc. During that time I learned that when one
      > battery goes out on a glof cart the entire six batteries are replaced.
      >
      > That almost always happens when the other five 180 amp hour batteries
      > still have a lot of life left in them. We'd make the rounds of the
      > Houston area golf courses replacing sets of batteries and take the junks
      > back in to the warehouse to identify which was bad and which were still
      > good, restore [or merely fully charge] the good five, and sell them as
      > used.
      >
      > I'm thinking I might be able to pick up a couple of good 'junks' out of
      > a set at some golf course if I take my time at it, and if there's room
      > under there for two 6 volt golf cart batteries.
      >
      > Jack Purcell

      1995 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 PowerStroke Centurion conversion dually crew cab
      pickup (Sam)

    • RogerD
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
        Jack - It was me who suggested a new thread for battery issues, so I am switching over as well. There are still comments on the 1978 Holiday Rambler thread, so check that too.

        You have a tough situation with a very tight budget countered by wanting to do something like use an inverter to run power tools for very long. That will require some serious battery power! You can get a battery (or batteries) to do that, but they are going to be large. Also at issue is big batteries require big charging capacity. Your old voltage converter/charger likely can't handle that load in reasonable time. Some of them have very little output in the charging circuit.

        I take it you don't have a generator on the rig?

        --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "orioneer" <JosephusMinimus@...> wrote:

        > Someone mentioned on the 1978 Holiday Rambler thread that RV batteries
        > might be worth of a thread by itself. Since I wanted to get some more
        > views on batteries I'm starting the thread.
        >
        > I haven't done any measuring down there to get an idea whether a golf
        > cart pair would fit, but will probably settle for a marine hybrid for a
        > quick fix. Buying the RV and getting the tag and registration set up
        > in Texas brought me down to bare metal financially, so I am going to
        > have to cut come corners, anyway.
        >
        > 1966 - 1967 I worked in a battery warehouse in Houston rebuilding and
        > restoring batteries back when they had tar sealing the tops and the
        > straps between the cells could be cut, all the plates and separaters
        > lifted out and replaced, etc. During that time I learned that when one
        > battery goes out on a glof cart the entire six batteries are replaced.
        >
        > That almost always happens when the other five 180 amp hour batteries
        > still have a lot of life left in them. We'd make the rounds of the
        > Houston area golf courses replacing sets of batteries and take the junks
        > back in to the warehouse to identify which was bad and which were still
        > good, restore [or merely fully charge] the good five, and sell them as
        > used.
        >
        > I'm thinking I might be able to pick up a couple of good 'junks' out of
        > a set at some golf course if I take my time at it, and if there's room
        > under there for two 6 volt golf cart batteries.
        >
        > Jack Purcell

      • orioneer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
          Hi Roger. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a tough situation, so much
          as a situation of running at a speed I can handle as opposed to the
          speed the world runs on. I ain't complaining because I'm probably the
          most fortunate man on the planet. Most especially fortunate to have
          snagged the old Holiday Rambler.

          I do have a working generator in the 1978, and a working Onan out of the
          Toyota, as well. Might be that will have to be my solution for running
          power tools. Once I'm on the road with this thing I'm hoping I'll have
          constructed a trailer to pull behind it to carry everything from tools
          to extra clothing. I'd thought to mount two golf cart batteries there
          once I've got some.

          In 1967 I had two golf cart batteries mounted in an aging Nash
          Metropolitan and the engine failed somewhere between Port Lavaca and
          Houston. Ran the Metro all the way into the next town on the starter
          motor and those two golf cart batteries.

          The memory of that experience provides me with an abiding respect for
          the item.

          Gracias, Jack

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
            Good suggestion Warren. I'm obliged. I had no idea they make 12 volt
            golf cart batteries. And the forklift idea's one I'd have never thought
            of. Back during my battery warehouse days I did rebuild a good many
            locomotive batteries and various ones for other heavy equipment, but
            frequently the voltage wasn't confined to 6 and 12 volts.

            I haven't looked at industrial/heavy equipment batteries in 50 years,
            but it might be they still build them with the tar sealing the top
            instead of the one-piece smooth covers. Those big ones were so
            expensive it was worth it to the companies to rebuild them rather than
            replace them if all that was wrong was a melted strap between the cells,
            or a short in one of the cells.

            Thanks a bunch. Jack