RV coach deep cycle batteries

  • orioneer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
      Someone mentioned on the 1978 Holiday Rambler thread that RV batteries
      might be worth of a thread by itself. Since I wanted to get some more
      views on batteries I'm starting the thread.

      I haven't done any measuring down there to get an idea whether a golf
      cart pair would fit, but will probably settle for a marine hybrid for a
      quick fix. Buying the RV and getting the tag and registration set up
      in Texas brought me down to bare metal financially, so I am going to
      have to cut come corners, anyway.

      1966 - 1967 I worked in a battery warehouse in Houston rebuilding and
      restoring batteries back when they had tar sealing the tops and the
      straps between the cells could be cut, all the plates and separaters
      lifted out and replaced, etc. During that time I learned that when one
      battery goes out on a glof cart the entire six batteries are replaced.

      That almost always happens when the other five 180 amp hour batteries
      still have a lot of life left in them. We'd make the rounds of the
      Houston area golf courses replacing sets of batteries and take the junks
      back in to the warehouse to identify which was bad and which were still
      good, restore [or merely fully charge] the good five, and sell them as
      used.

      I'm thinking I might be able to pick up a couple of good 'junks' out of
      a set at some golf course if I take my time at it, and if there's room
      under there for two 6 volt golf cart batteries.

      Jack Purcell
    • Warren
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
        I can understand the bare metal budget thing. My 1953 Airstream remodel was
        a very tight budget job.

        Keep in mind they do manufacturer 12 volt deep cycle batteries (not
        referring to marine) which might fit your spot better.
        You might be able to find a 12 volt deep cycle at an electric tow motor
        (fork lift) repair shop and they basically do exactly what you say. One
        goes bad they replace the whole pack. I have even seen a few 12 volt golf
        cart batteries.
        Might even find used batteries for the price of the lead in them rather
        than just used battery price. Might save you even a few more bucks that way.

        When I was looking for batteries, The office where I work uses various
        Uninterrupted Power Supplies that use small 12 volt 18 AH deep cycle
        batteries. We changed out several battery packs of which only one battery
        actually went bad. The others were old enough to take out of service but,
        when I connected 8 of those used batteries together in parallel. I got
        about 120 AH capacity. Worked just fine for a few years as long as I didn't
        use em up to fast. Over the next 2 years they started failing one at a
        time. It got me through till the budget could purchase new deep cycle golf
        cart batteries. :)

        On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 6:33 AM, orioneer <JosephusMinimus@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Someone mentioned on the 1978 Holiday Rambler thread that RV batteries
        > might be worth of a thread by itself. Since I wanted to get some more
        > views on batteries I'm starting the thread.
        >
        > I haven't done any measuring down there to get an idea whether a golf
        > cart pair would fit, but will probably settle for a marine hybrid for a
        > quick fix. Buying the RV and getting the tag and registration set up
        > in Texas brought me down to bare metal financially, so I am going to
        > have to cut come corners, anyway.
        >
        > 1966 - 1967 I worked in a battery warehouse in Houston rebuilding and
        > restoring batteries back when they had tar sealing the tops and the
        > straps between the cells could be cut, all the plates and separaters
        > lifted out and replaced, etc. During that time I learned that when one
        > battery goes out on a glof cart the entire six batteries are replaced.
        >
        > That almost always happens when the other five 180 amp hour batteries
        > still have a lot of life left in them. We'd make the rounds of the
        > Houston area golf courses replacing sets of batteries and take the junks
        > back in to the warehouse to identify which was bad and which were still
        > good, restore [or merely fully charge] the good five, and sell them as
        > used.
        >
        > I'm thinking I might be able to pick up a couple of good 'junks' out of
        > a set at some golf course if I take my time at it, and if there's room
        > under there for two 6 volt golf cart batteries.
        >
        > Jack Purcell

        1995 Ford F-350 XLT 7.3 PowerStroke Centurion conversion dually crew cab
        pickup (Sam)

      • RogerD
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
          Jack - It was me who suggested a new thread for battery issues, so I am switching over as well. There are still comments on the 1978 Holiday Rambler thread, so check that too.

          You have a tough situation with a very tight budget countered by wanting to do something like use an inverter to run power tools for very long. That will require some serious battery power! You can get a battery (or batteries) to do that, but they are going to be large. Also at issue is big batteries require big charging capacity. Your old voltage converter/charger likely can't handle that load in reasonable time. Some of them have very little output in the charging circuit.

          I take it you don't have a generator on the rig?

          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "orioneer" <JosephusMinimus@...> wrote:

          > Someone mentioned on the 1978 Holiday Rambler thread that RV batteries
          > might be worth of a thread by itself. Since I wanted to get some more
          > views on batteries I'm starting the thread.
          >
          > I haven't done any measuring down there to get an idea whether a golf
          > cart pair would fit, but will probably settle for a marine hybrid for a
          > quick fix. Buying the RV and getting the tag and registration set up
          > in Texas brought me down to bare metal financially, so I am going to
          > have to cut come corners, anyway.
          >
          > 1966 - 1967 I worked in a battery warehouse in Houston rebuilding and
          > restoring batteries back when they had tar sealing the tops and the
          > straps between the cells could be cut, all the plates and separaters
          > lifted out and replaced, etc. During that time I learned that when one
          > battery goes out on a glof cart the entire six batteries are replaced.
          >
          > That almost always happens when the other five 180 amp hour batteries
          > still have a lot of life left in them. We'd make the rounds of the
          > Houston area golf courses replacing sets of batteries and take the junks
          > back in to the warehouse to identify which was bad and which were still
          > good, restore [or merely fully charge] the good five, and sell them as
          > used.
          >
          > I'm thinking I might be able to pick up a couple of good 'junks' out of
          > a set at some golf course if I take my time at it, and if there's room
          > under there for two 6 volt golf cart batteries.
          >
          > Jack Purcell

        • orioneer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
            Hi Roger. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a tough situation, so much
            as a situation of running at a speed I can handle as opposed to the
            speed the world runs on. I ain't complaining because I'm probably the
            most fortunate man on the planet. Most especially fortunate to have
            snagged the old Holiday Rambler.

            I do have a working generator in the 1978, and a working Onan out of the
            Toyota, as well. Might be that will have to be my solution for running
            power tools. Once I'm on the road with this thing I'm hoping I'll have
            constructed a trailer to pull behind it to carry everything from tools
            to extra clothing. I'd thought to mount two golf cart batteries there
            once I've got some.

            In 1967 I had two golf cart batteries mounted in an aging Nash
            Metropolitan and the engine failed somewhere between Port Lavaca and
            Houston. Ran the Metro all the way into the next town on the starter
            motor and those two golf cart batteries.

            The memory of that experience provides me with an abiding respect for
            the item.

            Gracias, Jack

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
              Good suggestion Warren. I'm obliged. I had no idea they make 12 volt
              golf cart batteries. And the forklift idea's one I'd have never thought
              of. Back during my battery warehouse days I did rebuild a good many
              locomotive batteries and various ones for other heavy equipment, but
              frequently the voltage wasn't confined to 6 and 12 volts.

              I haven't looked at industrial/heavy equipment batteries in 50 years,
              but it might be they still build them with the tar sealing the top
              instead of the one-piece smooth covers. Those big ones were so
              expensive it was worth it to the companies to rebuild them rather than
              replace them if all that was wrong was a melted strap between the cells,
              or a short in one of the cells.

              Thanks a bunch. Jack